Netflix "high turnover" Reviews | Glassdoor

Netflix Employee Reviews about "high turnover"

Updated Oct 10, 2019

3.9
Netflix CEO Reed Hastings
Reed Hastings
Pros
Cons
  • "and eventually they will be let go(in 53 reviews)

• "It’s just a call center with a fancy name(in 41 reviews)

Reviews about "high turnover"

Return to all Reviews

"Transparency right?"

Former Employee - TSR in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Netflix full-time for less than a year

Pros

* Good pay * Good benefits * Some good people that work there. * Most cafe food is good

Cons

* It is absolutely required you "graduate" from training, if not, you will be fired if you make a couple mistakes there, or on the floor. Something they obviously don't tell you. * Culture states there is transparency but I found that to be only true to some extent. * There is an air of arrogance from management. * They only want the cream of the crop, average TSR is just not good enough. This makes for a... very high turnover rate. * Netflix culture is friendly, cordial, professional, but it feels very restrictive, and subtlety-micromanaged.

Netflix2018-03-13

"Pays well, high turnover"

I worked at Netflix full-time

Pros

Netflix pays it's employees well, salaried employees get "unlimited vacation."

Cons

Extremely high turnover, high pressure environment.

Netflix2017-06-22

"Senior Software Engineer"

I have been working at Netflix full-time

Pros

- compensation - from a product perspective: a unique blend of technology & entertainment - exciting industry and great business opportunities - you will be getting to know how to deal with AWS at scale

Cons

Culture: - high turnover - many people are staying only for the top of the market paycheck - employees adjust lifestyle to high compensation. As a result constant fear of being let go - colleagues will throw you under the bus to keep their jobs - very political due to lack of company policies/processes - any mistakes you make will be used against you (see point #3) - 0 empathy, mentorship or compassion - no... clear career path - your experience will largely depend on your manager - if you want "psychological safety" go to Google or Facebook instead Technology: - overall very poor code quality - most bigger architecture solutions are suboptimal due to "freedom and responsibility" and lack of overall technical vision - related to architecture: most technical decisions are completely localized, again due to "freedom and responsibility". As a result, high level of technical debt and meaningless duplication (NIH syndrome at scale) - dated technology stack (the most popular tech stack is tomcat/war)

Netflix2017-02-20

"Decent"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Aurora, CO

I worked at Netflix full-time for more than a year

Pros

They give a lot of offers for OT, and some of the people you work with are cool.

Cons

No room for growth, people who can make decisions go off favoritism and they run a tight ship like a prison. write ups for any little thing, they do shift bids every 3/6 months leaving no room for a stable work/personal life balance. They have no care for your personal needs on scheduling, its you get what you get depending on stats, attendance etc. But even if those things are good you could very well still get... stuck with a crummy shift. Very high turnover.

Netflix2015-11-30

"Worst call center work ever"

CSR2 in Hillsboro, OR

I worked at Netflix

Pros

Locker room to shower in after riding bike to work. Not having to engage Sr Management who always hid on the Bridge.

Cons

No way for raises or growth professionally. Saw 18 Supervisors escorted out of building one by one by management, who were the first round of cuts after over staffing. High turnover. You cannot expect problems to be solved in 4:20 and basing a metric if the customers happy with a Y or N answer and only allowing 5/100 to be no was ridiculous.

Netflix2015-05-14

"Customer Care Representative I"

Former Employee - Csr1 in Beaverton, OR

I worked at Netflix full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Unlimited overtime - Snacks in the break room - Fast moving - Meeting a lot of new people - $14/hr for no education required - Benefits

Cons

- Incredibly high turnover of employees. Rather than investing in training, they just hired large swathes of people and then fired the ones that they didn't like. - A lot of burn out. People getting overworked was very common. On my first week there a girl burst into tears, ran out of the building, and didn't come back. - Completely unrealistic expectations on calls. For example: 97% of callers have to rate you... positively at the end of the call; the call needs to be under 3.5 minutes; you cannot transfer more than X amount to a supervisor; you have to keep the replacement CDs you send under X amount - Everything, from the time you spent in the restroom, to the time you spent on a certain type of call, is broken down to the second and charted - Honestly the most hostile environment I have ever been in. I went in every day thinking I would be fired. After 1 year and 1 month of working there (generally 50+ hours a week), I got fired for burnout.

Advice to Management

Relax a little bit. This was a toxic environment. I went through 6 supervisors during the time I was there, including a month and a half of no supervisor at all. And I was only there 13 months!

Netflix2015-04-19

"It's not "if" you will be let go, it's "when"."

Former Employee - Senior Systems Administrator in Los Gatos, CA

I worked at Netflix full-time for more than a year

Pros

Leeway to learn and gain experience with diverse technology. Pay was above market. Work with fantastic people. Free subscription & good "product".

Cons

People are treated like toilet paper. It is not a "family", this is true, but it is not a "team", either. The group I worked in processed hires & fires access rights: I have never seen so many people fired, without warning, while they were ON vacation - leaving our group to receive and deal with calls from confused people (some of them Directors of hubs), who returned ready for work to no access and no information... on what was happening. Lousy communication between groups. Excessively High turnover - instead of leveraging employee knowledge & experience - people are overworked, used up, & thrown out like trash - the alumni group should read "NETFLIX PTSD Group". 80 hr work week *minimum*. No work-life balance. I had 4 managers in 1year of employment & the entire team I was on was replaced during that time and (you guessed it) one of the most awesome employees was fired while he was *ON* vacation: *THAT* was extremely awkward, as he was stellar...it was just a regime change.

Advice to Management

As if they care what former employees think: Treat people like human beings and show some basic respect. Have *meaningful* employee-management meetings and encourage open communication instead of the "keep doing what you're doing" until people are blindsided by termination.

Netflix2014-09-18

"Stay Away"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Gatos, CA

I worked at Netflix full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good "brand" for your resume, I guess. Outsiders will be impressed, if only because the PR machine has been in overdrive convincing people that this is still an innovative company. But a stock price bubble does not equal innovation.

Cons

Most of the honest reviews on here (meaning those not written by HR) have already covered it, but it's a terrible place to work - a pressure-cooker environment full of overpaid but insecure bosses who manage through fear and intimidation. Crazy high turnover in every group, lots of good people getting pushed out all the time by their managers. Then those people are blamed and insulted once they're gone and... unable to defend themselves. The company also stopped innovating long ago. The salary, though substantial, is not worth it, especially when you see the C-level insiders routinely cashing out millions in shares like thieves in the night. Hmmm, what do they know that everyone else doesn't? Look elsewhere - there are many other more humane, ethical, and socially rewarding places to get paid well...like Wall Street.

Advice to Management

Keep selling as many shares as possible before the Wall Street lemmings finally figure you guys out. You have done a great job of this so far.

Netflix2014-10-03

"Was once a Superstar now very much adrift."

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Los Gatos, CA

I have been working at Netflix full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Fairly New Technology, Smart Talent, Free food and iphones. This place will certainly wow you in technology and some of the best talent, Good compensation.

Cons

lousy vacation policy(get real, no vacation policy - no vacation), very stressful work environment, little to no career opportunities if you are hired as an engineer, Chaos everywhere - High Turnover always affects your work one way or the other.

Advice to Management

About time you should check your champion badge, it may have expired. Qwikster was a debacle. But the hiring cycle afterwards brought some worse incompetent middle management. Open door policy and summary dismissals might have worked for us in the past when we were a DVD business, but it definitely is hurting us - Bay is a very small place. Your talent is leaving(or about to leave), others are simply not interested... in working with us. If you dont believe me, ask why recruiters always have to bring talent from outside silicon valley. Promote openness, talent and healthy work environment - not mediocre middle management's words. Please bring back the culture from 3 years ago.

Netflix2013-08-08
  10. "Great Pay, Little Security"

I worked at Netflix full-time

Pros

Good pay for the work, and benefits.

Cons

Average call center. Very high turnover

Netflix2013-08-15