Network Communications Inc Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Second pressman"

Former Employee - Second Pressman in Lawrenceville, GA
    Former Employee - Second Pressman in Lawrenceville, GA

Pros

We worked a 3 days on , 3 days off schedule, 12 hours per day in the pressroom, which was great, but seldom got 3 days off and have worked as many as 10 - 12 hour shifts straight. We ate lunch at the press as long as the press was running. Basically a sweatshop in the press room. The press equipment was some of the best around, but it took a beating. They do have the production down to almost a science.

Cons

over worked pressman in the pressroom. Little personal time. long hours. Crazy production work to print something that would be in the trash shortly after printing. High turn over. Never enough help in the press room.

Advice to Management

Hire more employees and listen to what they tell you. Take better care of your employees and cut them a little slack once in a while..

2. "Beware of this publishing company"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Denver, CO

I worked at Network Communications Inc full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Corporate located out of Colorado

Cons

Management in the Denver office lacked focus and direction

Advice to Management

Keep open dialogue to make it safe for people to express there feelings and perspective.

3. "I had fun working there"

Former Employee - Desktop Operator in Lawrenceville, GA
    Former Employee - Desktop Operator in Lawrenceville, GA

I worked at Network Communications Inc full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people were nice but there was no "order" in the workplace

Cons

The workflow was never established. Everything was by the seat of your pants

Advice to Management

Establish acceptable job inputs

4. "I enjoyed working at Network Communications, Inc."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Network Communications Inc full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The company has good opportunity for growth.

Cons

The industry is contracting and changing.

Advice to Management

Keep looking for innovative new products.

5. "Network Communications Inc."

I worked at Network Communications Inc full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Being left alone to work on your own projects. Being able to run your job as if it were your own business.

Cons

Too many hours considering the overall goal. No raises or profit sharing matching

"Out of touch, poorly run company."

Former Employee - Online Content Manager in Norcross, GA
    Former Employee - Online Content Manager in Norcross, GA

I worked at Network Communications Inc full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work from home days were the only thing that made the low pay and crap benefits at this company tolerable. Lots of great coworkers, but unfortunately most did not stick around long thanks to the aforementioned compensation issues.

Cons

The attitude of management toward employees was downright insulting. A certain higher up consistently put foot in mouth, telling employees that our jobs were a "learning opportunity" and that if we wanted better pay (like cost of living raises, how dare we?) or the opportunity for promotion, we needed to "move on" to another company. (Great advice, glad I took it.) They also had no idea how much money we made and once wondered aloud how someone could live on x amount of money a week- which was substantially higher than the weekly pay of the room full of people to which they were speaking. Managerial cluelessness paired with low pay, awful benefits, and unrealistic workloads ensured that turnover was (and is) a huge problem.

Speaking of workloads, management consistently failed to understand the day-to-day realities of the jobs they assigned. For instance, the amount of time it takes to do a task was usually not taken into consideration when setting workloads, resulting in situations where a team would have to work 45 hours a week with no bathroom breaks and no time for administrative tasks/email/meetings/etc. in order to meet deliverable quotas, assuming they took the "recommended" amount of time for each task.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees. When they point out that the number of deliverables and quality level you are requesting are physically impossible to meet in anything approaching a 40ish hour workweek, listen to them. Invest in your employees with industry training. Value them enough to know how much money they make and don't insult them by implying (or openly stating) that they are stupid for sticking around and wanting to progress in your company. After all, what does that say about you?

7. "Been working here for well over 10 years (less than 20) with only minimal pay raises"

I have been working at Network Communications Inc full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Work with a great team in a relaxed atmosphere.

Cons

I realize this company is supported by sales but they fail to give much recognition and value on the corporate level to non-sales employees especially if you work outside the corporate office. My office produces huge profits/revenue for the company yet compensation is low with bare minimum raises. They also no longer have bonuses and just recently re-instated minimal employer 401k contributions. Their yearly employee awards skip over many position/categories of there employees and are basically just sales focused. High deductible health insurance program: while I'm sure it's not the worst out there it no way one of the best. Expensive in my opinion..

Advice to Management

Provide better compensation in line with National average. Compensate long term employees better. Recognize more employees contribution besides sales. Contribute more to health care costs and 401k plan. Instate bonus structure based on regional offices profit and success. Foster growth and training opportunities to non-sales employees. Value input and ask opinions of employees more.

"Career and Soul Crushing"

I worked at Network Communications Inc full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of genuinely good talent and stunning personalities among colleagues.

Cons

This is a horrible work environment. Truly a place to go for your career to die. They do not encourage employees to grow, learn or expand their skills. Very much an assembly-line, sweatshop style environment. Stay in your chair, don't take too many breaks, don't socialize with coworkers at their desks, and good luck getting your vacation approved in time to plan for it or buy a plane ticket. Even getting a couple hours away for a doctor's appointment was pulling teeth, and my health suffered from it. Very stressful.

Quality people are routinely fired at the drop of a hat for infractions such as visiting a non-work related website. Employees must be able to prove that any website they are visiting is directly related to the job they currently have on their desk. Meetings are held frequently and are rarely about the work itself, but instead are focused on terrorizing staff over minor mistakes and keeping moral down. Truly, meetings were typically about such issues as taking 5 minutes too long for (already meager) lunch breaks or the latest firing due to a typo or other small mistake. And yet at the pace we were required to work, it's amazing more mistakes were not made.

It's a shame because they have had some terrific talent come through there but since they lose them so quickly, there is little potential for the company to shine.

Advice to Management

Focus on helping your talent grow and increasing moral with more freedom and flexibility. Familiarize yourself with the benefits of work-life balance as it relates to staff productivity. Stop treating employees like misbehaving school children. Trust your staff-they do want to do good work, and they will if you give them space to breathe. Stop wasting time with petty, nit-picking disciplinary meetings that belittle your talent and have nothing to do with the work itself. Allow your staff to socialize quietly and move around the room at will (not just during company-sanctioned designated social hour). It will result in more cross-training and sharing of ideas. Relaxed people are better creative thinkers and problem solvers. Give your staff a chance to made decisions to improve the environment and work flow. Stop being dismissive if their concerns.

9. "Be Ready for Burnout"

Pros

Great coworkers, casual dress, some autonomy. Easy entry into job market, some positions provide marketable skills. Three weeks of paid vacation and sometimes give bonus holidays.

Cons

-very very repetitive, little sense of satisfaction or success/completion of work
    -extremely unstable system created with getting the most work out of the fewest number of people in mind. Target numbers seemingly pulled from thin air, heavy client load, and system that can only function with people working at near 100% efficiency 100% of the time (so actually taking vacation=challenging). Positions requiring the most daily creativity get the least amount of time relative to workload to actually think, and there's very limited room to maneuver when unexpected delays or troubles occur
    -impressive churn rate on employees- you burn out fast and you burn out hard. Losing employees directly related to production can seriously hurt a team's progress and has led some teams to a constant state of trying to stay afloat
    -training and professional development is nominal, and if you're in one of the inflexible positions you won't get to take advantage of extra opportunities without paying for it later
    -burnt-out culture, high turnover rate, and distant management with no interest in addressing core problems behind these symptoms has led to low morale, even among our most sun-shiney members.
    -has become, for me at least, an active hindrance to professional development

Advice to Management

Have to echo some previous reviewers- LISTEN. Listen to your employees, even if you think they're just whining, but especially if they are offering reasons and solutions for the complaints. The ones who spend every day creating the products that you sell know what they need to make those products good. There's a reason they're leaving so fast- that should be your wake-up call. That should be a problem you're actively trying to fix.

Focus less on numbers and who works the fastest. Quality takes time, but you've turned it into a race. Not good for anyone.

If you want to grow and stop having to waste time/money replacing clients and employees, start focusing on making the experience good for them. I've seen decisions that improve the product for the client far fewer times than I've seen decisions that hurt it. Give employees time, resources, and training. Take the time to actually understand the process that goes into creating the product, don't just dictate from on high; you're quickly losing respect and your employees are losing respect for the product they're producing as well. We want to be proud of our work, but there's not much room for that now.

This place could be so cool. I've heard stories that it used to be a lot cooler. But you're grinding people down and creating something that not very many people can truly believe in anymore. Give us the tools we need, and the dedicated employees will do their best to provide something that they and your clients will enjoy.

10. "Does well with keeping up with changing culture of business"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norcross, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norcross, GA

I have been working at Network Communications Inc full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

NCI is a modern company keeping up with the changing business practices and they pay well.

Cons

Located in a heavily congested area. Traffic is always a factor. Benefits/deductibles are higher than a family can meet unless there is a catastrophic illness or injury.

Advice to Management

Venture out of your office and talk to your employees.