Network Communications Inc Reviews | Glassdoor

Network Communications Inc Reviews

Full-time Part-time

"Dysfunctional Good Old Boy Haven"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norcross, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norcross, GA

I worked at Network Communications Inc full-time

Pros

The paychecks don't bounce yet.

Cons

Clueless upper management that coddles the ignorant and inept. No work/life balance. No real perks. No raises. No clue what they are doing. Say the wrong thing and you're gone, because it's management by fear, not real management.

Advice to Management

Your top level people are sinking this ship. The good old boy thing you have going with your VPs and directors is not sustainable. Seriously, who's bright idea was it to relocate to an area with no good mass transit options and a horrible commute for all your employees that had been with you for a long time since Lawrenceville?

"Worst company I ever worked for in my life.."

Former Employee - Account Manager in Norcross, GA
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Norcross, GA

I worked at Network Communications Inc full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Steady pay check while you are looking for a better job.

Cons

I literally worked their less than a year and I seen over 10+ individuals come and go. The so called "training" they provide employees is laughable. Its very difficult to sell a product where individuals can get the same services for free. Not to mention once you sell most of your client do not want to keep the contract because they are not getting what was promised. They don't care about their employees at all its a churn & burn. They hire get a few sales and then let you go. Its not the employees is bad management and terrible product compared to the rest of the industry.

Advice to Management

Stop making up content to stay a float. Re-evaluate your company goals. The turnover is based on leadership if no one employees stays over a year it truly says something about you. If you must work here just make sure you are looking for a better job else where. this place is just a pit stop to stop the bleeding.

"Empty Promises, Broken Hearts: The Digital Sherpa Story"

Current Employee - Online Content Manager in Norcross, GA
    Current Employee - Online Content Manager in Norcross, GA

I have been working at Network Communications Inc full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-casual dress, occasional free lunches, easy path to promotion

Cons

-Company is now focused on creating as much content as possible. Teams are rewarded solely on speed of production and unable to meet client quality expectations without working significant amounts of unpaid overtime each week.

-While management puts an emphasis in last company-wide meeting on seeking out employees who are passionate about client satisfaction and aren't just here for the paycheck, they are surprisingly oblivious to the fact that the only people they're driving out with new policies are the people who are actually qualified to leave.

- The WFH program was established last year, but days have been cut back with no concrete plans to re-implement. Though many current employees accepted a lower salary under the assumption that the program would supplement their meager paycheck, management seems to view WFH as a luxury rather than an economic necessity.

- Training is non-existant. While most content producers have writing experience, very few have experience publishing for the web. Current content team is run more like a dying print room, with no strategy when it comes to increasing readership. Editors are left guessing at keywords and trying to fake their way through client conversations in order to maintain the illusion of expertise, which is becoming increasingly difficult as clients realize they can write better content in-house than we can provide in the few minutes per day we have time to dedicate to their brand.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees. The people who are asking questions are the people who care. If the pay is below industry average and you intend to recruit above-average employees, stop cutting back on cost-free incentives like WFH days.

Two accent walls and a free lunch once a month is not as "cool" to employees as decent healthcare or WFH benefits, and if you can't trust your employees to work unsupervised for two days a week, chances are they're not being too productive in the office, either. Continue to take positive steps in weeding out people who don't pull their weight without punishing those who are, and deal with WFH unproductivity on a case-by-case basis.

Train us. In a constantly evolving industry, staff training shouldn't stop after initial on-boarding. Host guest speakers. Discuss new trends in social media. Shift focus of ineffective monthly content-team meetings to something (anything) other than rehashing old content ideas. Allow, and encourage, employees to give brief presentations on social media developments that are relevant to the company.

"People are bailing, fast"

Current Employee - Employee in Norcross, GA
    Current Employee - Employee in Norcross, GA

I have been working at Network Communications Inc full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

casual dress code, no strict clock in policy, good work/ life balance if you get more community than design clients

Cons

About 40% of the content team is actively looking for other work. Mgmt used to compensate for below-industry-average pay and high health-care premiums with work-from-home days, but they've upped the number of in-office days to four a week, which just isn't worth it for people who are commuting an hour each way.

If you're interested in social media or SEO, this is not the place. Mgmt used to host occasional training sessions, but since November the content team is run more like a content farm. Aside from monthly meetings about things to write about for the summer/spring/winter/fall, you're not going to learn anything new.

Advice to Management

Stop cutting free incentives, and host a guest speaker or something.

"Like the people"

Current Employee - Graphic Artist in Lawrenceville, GA
    Current Employee - Graphic Artist in Lawrenceville, GA

I have been working at Network Communications Inc full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Casual Dress
    Good Work Environment
    Nice People

Cons

A Little Dated
    Benefits are Lacking

Advice to Management

It's all Good on my side of things

"Network Communications in Lawrenceville, GA"

Current Employee - Publisher in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Publisher in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Network Communications Inc full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

flexibility, fast paced, able to use creativity

Cons

Have taken away bonus and 401 K match. Seems to promote and give raises to a select group of the management's friends. Lacks in communicating to employees.

7. "NO structure from the top down"

Current Employee - AE in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - AE in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Network Communications Inc full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

N0 micro managing..no guidence either. Not a place to start a career in advertising-no training and turn over has become more frequent.

Cons

Pay not great. Also,your Tax Returns do not show any of the comm. you make on a monthly basis. never get a actual paycheck only copies of expense and mileage checks are sent to the employee...makes one skepitcal on the reporting of taxes to the IRS.

Advice to Management

Get some real management to over see the areas that NCI/Apartment Finder does business. Over extends the current management to the point that there is NO real guidence and therefore your left on your own to try and make the products and services that NCI Communications / Apartment Finder has to offer experience any form of success. Very frustrating organization to work for to say the least.

8. "I would say over all Good"

Former Employee - Computer Systems Specialist in Colorado Springs, CO
    Former Employee - Computer Systems Specialist in Colorado Springs, CO

Pros

Oppertunities were good, and offering education for employee were great, work site was good and the people i work with were very helpful

Cons

It was harder for me because I was older then most of my co-workers, but all were helpful to me and lent a hand to make sure I accomplished my tasks

Advice to Management

Help the older employees better, alot were more intersted in the youger more attrictive women and it seemed they weren't intrested in your time or wouldn't give you the time of day.

"If you've ever dreamt of being on the Titanic, work here."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lawrenceville, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lawrenceville, GA

Pros

Some of the people are very nice, and mean well.
    Most managers are flexible with PTO
    Local Commute
    Great pay if you're a contractor

Cons

Blind Management
    Management stuck in the 1990's
    Management will chastise you for thinking ahead "that's not your job"
    Too many meetings with no direction
    Work harder than and more hours than anyone in your department? Who cares, here's a pink slip for you.

Advice to Management

The entire time I worked at NCI, Dan McCarthy honored us with his presence once. How can a CEO manage a company when he will not visit his employees? His Senior VP's that have been with the company for 24 years
    plus refuse to join the 21st century, (except on contactor salaries...) really?

Over 4 Million dollars for AMS 2, and why is that? Smooth talking contractors who make 1.5 times the going rate and do nothing but literally sit and laugh half the time, work their contracting business a quarter of the time, and finally honor us with doing their job for the rest.

Management should:
    1. Listen to their skilled employees over contractors who are trying to make work to make more money
    2. Anonymous subordinate reviews should be implemented

Overall, it's time for a review of senior management (Director-level and above)

"Major problems but I believe they are half-heartedly trying to change things"

Current Employee - Online Content Manager in Lawrenceville, GA
    Current Employee - Online Content Manager in Lawrenceville, GA

Pros

A steady paycheck
    Flexible work hours
    Middle management on the floor

Cons

Salary is much too low and the workload is much too high.
    There are people working in the Sherpa department who will never be fired, regardless of how much work they leave incomplete every week, or how poor their writing skills are.
    Too much attention is given to the brown-nosers, and no attention is given to most of the people who are very talented and good at their jobs.
    The PTO policy is a joke, and either leaves the employee responsible for everything on their vacation or unfairly doubles the insane workload of another employee.

Advice to Management

I don't know if the people not doing their work are blackmailing management in some way, but you need to get rid of them (one person in particular that I know of, but I hear that there are several more). It is insanely unfair to the people who are working very hard and long hours to complete their work and make their blogs the best that they can be to see other people get away with doing practically nothing.
    Continue what you've started in making changes to the Sherpa department, but don't forget that you have other departments and employees who have been loyal to the company for much longer that the Sherpas. They do not deserve the disruption that Sherpa is causing their departments. While it's nice that they are attempting to adjust the salaries of some (not all) of the Sherpas, the rest of the company hasn't seen anything but a 2% raise since 2007.
    There are so many people working in the Sherpa department that we don't even know each other. The new people who have been hired aren't introduced to the rest of the department at all, and are pretty much thrown into the work with very little training or instruction on the task at hand. The management structure is so convoluted that some of these people don't even understand who their direct supervisor is.
    It is a slap in the face to the people who have been with Sherpa the longest to see a new employee brought in right before the last structure change and see him placed in the top position in the new teams. This is nothing against that employee, who I know is intelligent and qualified, but it is a direct contradiction to everything that has been said in our meetings about "promoting within."
    Pay attention to the reports and provide some praise to the people who consistently give you good results. By paying attention, I don't mean just piling more difficult accounts to their already overloaded responsibilities.
    I would like to repeat the first paragraph again. Get rid of the people who aren't doing their work and make way for people who need a paycheck and will do their work!