Network Solutions Reviews in Herndon, VA | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"NOC"

Former Employee - NOC in Herndon, VA
    Former Employee - NOC in Herndon, VA

I worked at Network Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits
    Working in the NOC I was able to learn a lot from several different teams (Unix, Windows, DBA, and etc)

Cons

It was hard to move on up with the company. If you were very good at your job management would want to keep you there.
    Working nights is tough.

"Used to be like a family"

Former Employee - Intranet Developer in Herndon, VA
    Former Employee - Intranet Developer in Herndon, VA

I worked at Network Solutions (Less than a year)

Pros

Exciting industry. Great relationships between employees in all divisions. Was a fantastic time to be working in IT - glassdoor would not let me indicate 1998 as my last year there. All ratings are for the old NetSol days

Cons

The company has changed hands so many times - Lost its personal touch as it has been acquired and reacquired over the yeas - I think, most recently it is a subsidiary of web.com

Advice to Management

I miss the management we had in the late '90s - Wish some of the personal interaction with staff could still thrive there

"Shell of a company, ancient management, no future prospects"

I worked at Network Solutions full-time

Pros

- Sodas only cost 25 cents.
    - Many talented people used to work for the organization, especially engineers and product managers.

Cons

-NetSol had the monopoly in the domain registration market from the 80s to the 90s. Once GoDaddy (and many other competitors) entered the market about 10-15 years ago, NetSol became a case study in failed corporate monopolies. The primary issue that destroyed NetSol as an organization was that they never maintained competitive pricing. Until recently, they charged $30+/year/domain. When GoDaddy entered market at an $8 price point, NetSol decided that margins were “more important” and never lowered prices. Note that domain names are a pure commodity – nothing makes a domain name better with one company vs. another. Thus, a $30 domain has no added value to a consumer vs. a $8 domain.

-Over the past decade, the company has seen almost annual changes in senior management, CEO, etc. Ultimately, the company was bought by Web.com in 2011. In many cases, the senior-most leaders were quite good at instilling improved corporate culture; however, they came from very different industries. From my observations, these senior-most leaders never even used/tested the company products nor could speak intelligently about their features. Thus, they were never able to make the right decisions around innovation and design despite hiring new, mid-level management with extensive experience in customer service, branding and product design.

-Many of NetSol’s products have also gone stale in terms of pricing and features. This creates a toxic culture for current employees as they are continually fighting uphill battles to find new customers and improve marketing techniques. It’s impossible to make the right decisions around customer experience and design when the follow up response from senior leaders is always “yeah, but how does this increase our profits today?”

Because of a complete overlap in product portfolios across NetSol and Web.com, Netsol mostly has an independent set of operations, sales, marketing and other business functions – which are primarily based out of Herndon. Because Web.com now runs the show, this creates an uncomfortable culture whereby Herndon managers rarely have control over their respective business functions. While things have stabilized in terms of Herndon-based staff, there was a significant amount of prior bloodshed as Web.com eliminated positions and merged product lines.

-No real talent exists at the company today (aside from a few engineers who are keeping the ship afloat). If you decide to take a job at NetSol, be mindful that you will only be doing “commodity work” for a shell-of-an organization that has no interest in innovation or doing right by the customer. Further, you will have no career mobility as the only remaining management are dinosaurs who masochistically decided to ensure through the Web.com acquisition in 2011. They will not leave, the company rarely hires – therefore, you will be stuck with your day-to-day routine and salary until you decide to move on.

Advice to Management

Admit defeat, find new jobs and let Web.com completely absorb the business.

"Toxic Corporate Culture"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Herndon, VA

Pros

Loyal employees. Telecommuting flexibility. Lax oversight.

Cons

Poor leadership, no vision, employees aren't valued. Dwindling talent pool due to non-existent retention practices.

"Circling the Drain"

I worked at Network Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fair benefits and reasonable PTO. Excellent work location and office.

Cons

Poor Salary for the area.
    Lousy management.
    Too sales driven.

Advice to Management

Clean house in the support division.

6. "Living Hell"

Former Employee - NOC Specialist in Herndon, VA
    Former Employee - NOC Specialist in Herndon, VA

I worked at Network Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Walking out the door on my last day was the best thing that I can think of.

Cons

12 hour shifts for NOC personnel (guess that could be a pro too though). No training program.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the vice president in charge of the NOC (if you haven't already).

7. "Nice place and people, good perks, a little slow"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Herndon, VA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Herndon, VA

I worked at Network Solutions full-time

Pros

Network Solutions is a really well-established business, and as such they can support you well - financially, training-wise, benefits, etc. They do good work, and their new partnership with Web.com has brought some positive changes

Cons

The pace of work in the engineering department was a little slow for my tastes - a fair amount of sitting around waiting for others to complete certain tasks so I could move forward on my own. Mostly due to prioritization, not due to any lack of work by others, but I found my time was very underutilized.

Advice to Management

Put back the benefits that were in place before the Web.com merger - specifically the PTO rollover, company events/parties and social gatherings.

"Micromanaged from day one by a VP."

Former Employee - NOC Engineer II in Herndon, VA
    Former Employee - NOC Engineer II in Herndon, VA

I worked at Network Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's a paycheck, not much more.

Cons

micromanaging VP with a short fuse and unrealistic expectations

9. "Great people"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Herndon, VA

Pros

Great people despite the obstacles.

Cons

Management dwells on the negative too much. There are great people doing extraordinary work but they seldom get recognized. The company is going through a difficult transition as it is absorbed into web.com

Advice to Management

Value the skillset you have in place. It is not all about what they cost; it is about the value they provide.

10. "Good place to work (review is based on experience prior to acquisition)"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Herndon, VA

Pros

Congenial atmosphere. Staff is very professional and respectful. Colleagues work together well as a team and help each other in delivering tasks. Senior Management has a true interest in the well-being of the employees while keeping an eye on the company's performance. Employees have flexibility to maintain work-life balance.

Cons

Being a fast-paced environment, work can get hectic sometimes depending on deadlines or tasks. Depending on roles, there is limited opportunity for career growth. Company does, however, promote moving to different roles/functions for professional growth.