Networked Insights Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Networked Insights CEO Dan Neely
Dan Neely

Pros
  • Great work/life balance, awesome technology and even better people (in 11 reviews)

• Better than average pay, no real supervision, very flexible time-off policy, open work space, free snacks, alcohol at work not frowned upon (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Also, pay is low, but that's offset by the great work/life balance in my opinion (in 4 reviews)

• VP or higher level people ("upper management") make up about 25% of the company (in 5 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Cool Tech, Great People"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Networked Insights (Less than a year)

Pros

NI has come a long way over the last 2 years given the shift from services to a SaaS platform. There are still some growing pains from that, but the shift made them more agile and able to better compete in the marketplace. The technology continues to be interesting to work with and NI is solving some challenging problems in the marketing world with it.

Overall, everyone from the CEO to the engineers to the operations team are incredibly nice and approachable. If you have an idea, the culture is to take ownership of it and work with others to make it happen.

The work/life balance can't be beat - meet your deliverables and you're trusted to take time off as you need it or work from home. Love it.

Cons

The office has some amazing views, but the layout is weird. Doing something with the empty space would help.

Advice to Management

Listen to the SMEs in the office and add their expertise to what you are talking about. Sometimes there's a myopic approach to a product problem or office issue. Adding their perspective will help innovation.

"A Great Challenge"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Networked Insights full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Incredible people to work with and great engineering challenges to tackle
    Good compensation
    Focus on getting things done the right way while also considering individual needs
    Great Flexibility in working environment, PTO etc.
    Welcoming community of people who get things done and enjoy doing it

Cons

The company is still growing and has had some growing pains as a result. Our overall direction could be clearer at times.

Advice to Management

Keep working to clarify our direction and help ensure that every individual is along for the ride. Your recent efforts are most appreciated and a great way to continue forward.

"Love working at NI"

I have been working at Networked Insights full-time

Pros

Great work/life balance, awesome technology and even better people. If you want a place to work that gives you the opportunity to get involved in many aspects of the company, NI is for you! We know how to work hard and have a lot of fun doing it!

Cons

Communication could improve, but it's not bad.

5. "Design Your Career"

I have been working at Networked Insights full-time

Pros

Overall, working at Networked Insights has given me the chance to design my own career in many ways and learn what I want to learn. The work life balance can be decent if you work at it and the benefits are pretty great. We also just closed a huge round of funding that should allow us to build some pretty cool things over the next few years.

Cons

Company direction changes frequently and teams are going to need to be more collaborative in order to truly succeed.

Advice to Management

Make sure that every team has representation on the leadership team.

"Toxic Culture, Out of Touch Management"

I worked at Networked Insights full-time

Pros

Unlimited PTO, Free Breakfast on Fridays, Option to WFH

Cons

Where do I begin?

Employees at NI are dropping like flies because the culture is toxic, counterproductive, and mean-spirited. The gossip mill of Networked Insights is out of control - and the tone is set at the top. Management plays favorites, which is incredibly counterproductive and blatantly obvious.

To make matters worse, management has failed to acknowledge the root of their huge attrition %s, instead saying "not everyone is cut out for the fast paced industry" (see "CEO" aka HR's response to a prior review). When colleagues announce they are leaving the company and give proper notice in an effort to help the team, they instead get uninvited from critical meetings and shunned by management. Seems counterintuitive to a smooth off-boarding transition, right? This highlights the pettiness that comes from the top.

The software product at the core of NI's business is clunky and expensive, reiterated time and time again by prospects and clients who choose not to renew. It is next to impossible for Sales to sell, and for Customer Success to retain clients. Instead of doing everything to foster collaboration and innovation across the org, management has instead positioned two major stakeholder groups against each other, physically, strategically, and interpersonally.

Don't be fooled by funding press releases that grossly overstate the software's capabilities and plans to grow headcount. Management has used director-level layoffs as evidence of revenue growth, when anyone with a basic grasp of math can see that simply reducing payroll costs to boost reported revenue figures is grossly misleading.

HR is a figurehead at Networked Insights and doesn't have a seat at the management table. The issues I've raised in this review have been reiterated to HR by myself and others countless times, and have fallen on deaf ears because management does not empower HR to truly transform culture and morale.

Advice to Management

Open your eyes to the major, systemic issues that have forced intelligent, hardworking employees to not only leave NI, but also take the time to leave these reviews. Brushing them off as a matter of individuals not being suited to the nature of the business comes off as naive at best, arrogant and callous at worst.

"Giant Step Backwards"

I worked at Networked Insights full-time

Pros

WFH, Unlimited PTO, Friday Breakfast

Cons

The people, the product, the leadership

The people: Everyone is obviously miserable due to the poor culture. In my time at NI, I've only seen the culture get worse and worse. There is SO much turnover, it is impossible to keep people in seat. Within the last 3 months, nearly 20% of the company has resigned (across all levels).

The product: Unsellable. Unrenewable. No one is buying it and those who do, realize its a waste and do not renew their contract. NI has 1 or 2 large clients and if (when) they leave, NI will sink. A few years ago, NI had to lay off 50% of its employees due to a client leaving. Clearly they didn't learn their lesson then because history is about to repeat itself. Don't even get me started on the product team and their incredibly high perception of themselves.

The leadership: HA. What leadership? The "leaders" at this company are all in seat because they've been there the longest. Not because they're qualified or push the business forward. In fact, NI's latest CRO lasted for 1 year and RESIGNED because of how miserable the company is.

Don't let the "CEO" comment replies on here fool you. Those are written by the People team because the CEO would never take the time to address company/employee concerns. And the things they claim they've "fixed" are as broken as ever.

Advice to Management

Get acquired. You lost.

"Poor Management +No Strategy= Networked Insights"

Former Employee - Business in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Business in Chicago, IL

I worked at Networked Insights full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are a handful of competent individuals who sincerely try to move the company in the right direction. They just raised some cash.

Cons

One of the most toxic, un productive work environments (for no good reason) that I have encountered. No direction or vision from the product team, which is led by a checked out COO. There is no alignment between go to market strategy, product and sales. The sales team turns over on a regular basis. Priorities and goals change on a daily basis.

Advice to Management

Admit that you just don't have any answers. Bring in some A players, to take over.

"Nope"

I worked at Networked Insights full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I worked with a few great people...key words: A FEW
    -flexibility to work from home, good work life balance

Cons

Really negative working environment from my very first day. Started off walking in to a dead silent office, not being greeted by anyone, everyone seemed clearly unhappy to be at work. Then beginning my "training" by being told from a SVP level person the software was garbage and should not be sold or consumed. This was day 1, and everything progressively was worse during my tenure:
    -complete lack of team work
    -complete lack of trust from team to team
    -huge amount of office politics
    -gossiping, unsupportive and back biting colleagues
    -constant complaining and negativity
    -insanely high employee churn rate
    -no formal training or real on-boarding
    -no marketing or any sort of GTM strategy
    -people constantly on edge and in fear of losing their jobs
    -positive reviews are fake

Advice to Management

Bring in upper management who actually understand your market, stop creating a hostile miserable work environment. People do not leave a good company after a funding round- the fact that your employees are dropping like flies after said funding should be an alarm bell to you.

Networked Insights Response

Feb 21, 2017 – CEO

I am sorry to hear that your experience of our culture was so negative. We are constantly working to make progress in many of the areas you mentioned. We have gone through a period of transition as ... More

"Loved my time here"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Chicago, IL

I worked at Networked Insights full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Lots of opportunity to move up, especially if you're right out of college
    - You get really close to the people here and there's an overall enthusiastic, fun atmosphere. I've had some of my best working memories here
    - Their tech is spectacular. Great place if you wanna work at the forefront of big data and social analysis

Cons

- Company can be indecisive in terms of direction
    - Top heavy and too many middle management
    - Not enough women in leadership team

Advice to Management

Seems like NI has found a solid direction lately. Stick to that and keep treating your employees well.

"Culture of Excellence"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Networked Insights full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fun perks, friendly culture! The atmosphere is very relaxed, but serious about the work being done. Great work/life balance. Colleagues are treated like the adults they are, in contrast with some companies where there are strict rules and consequences for trivial things. Totally drama-free, which is sooooo nice.

Unlimited PTO, exceptional maternity/paternity policies, great insurance! Flex plan for travel/childcare/etc. Free snacks and drinks, as well as catered breakfasts every Friday. The happy hours and kegs are nice too!

Cons

The workspace is very quiet and it can be awkward for loud sneezers or people who like to chat. Chatting is totally welcome, but it's a very focused atmosphere with people who take their work seriously.

Advice to Management

Continue being open to and responding to feedback from other colleagues, and remain consistent as it pertains to the business focus.