Networked Insights Reviews | Glassdoor

2.9
Networked Insights CEO Dan Neely
Dan Neely

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great work/life balance, awesome technology and even better people (in 11 reviews)

• Very lax on working from home, free snacks, casual dress, great downtown location that's easy to get to and from (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Leadership team scatter brained and don't appreciate talent (in 4 reviews)

• Don't even get me started on the product team and their incredibly high perception of themselves (in 3 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Cool Tech, Great People"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Networked Insights (Less than a year)

Pros

NI has come a long way over the last 2 years given the shift from services to a SaaS platform. There are still some growing pains from that, but the shift made them more agile and able to better compete in the marketplace. The technology continues to be interesting to work with and NI is solving some challenging problems in the marketing world with it.

Overall, everyone from the CEO to the engineers to the operations team are incredibly nice and approachable. If you have an idea, the culture is to take ownership of it and work with others to make it happen.

The work/life balance can't be beat - meet your deliverables and you're trusted to take time off as you need it or work from home. Love it.

Cons

The office has some amazing views, but the layout is weird. Doing something with the empty space would help.

Advice to Management

Listen to the SMEs in the office and add their expertise to what you are talking about. Sometimes there's a myopic approach to a product problem or office issue. Adding their perspective will help innovation.

2. "Wonderful people."

I worked at Networked Insights full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I didn't really work on the tech side of things, so I can't speak to that. What I CAN say is that I've never worked for a company with such genuine, friendly, and just lovely people. I think the hiring focus on finding people who are not only capable and excellent at their job, but also who are in line with the culture is a big part of what is right about NI. Leaving was bittersweet, and I will truly miss seeing the people of NI every day.

Work here if you're into taking on a challenge with an engaged and connected team, and a company full of people who want to see you succeed.

Cons

As with many companies, there can be some inconsistency in communication. My advice is to not be afraid to clarify or point out opportunities for greater understanding. Have those conversations. NI is a safe place to voice your concerns and be heard.

Advice to Management

Keep listening. Continue to show your team and the teams you interact with that you value their input, even when your goals and their requests can't/ don't align.

Do a boat trip next summer - people are into it.

"Struggling company with horrible leadership & lackluster tech"

I worked at Networked Insights full-time

Pros

Work/life balance is great because there is little, to no, business. The tool is seldom used that clients are rarely asking asking for trainings, questions, strategy sessions, etc. If you are interested in just getting paid and coasting, then this may be the job for you.

Cons

-leadership is non-existent and the only decent leaders that were there have all left
    -lack of direction has been an issue for a long time. there is no clear definition of who the company is, what its value-add is, or what their plan is for the next 6 months, let alone the next week
    -clients don't want the technology. it is a constant struggle to get the clients to see what little value the tech has to offer and even then, improvements are never made so, clients always churn
    -there was a time when the culture was vibrant and motivating. the office is now a depressing place where people are constantly whispering about how they want to leave and the distrust and distaste they have for leadership
    Advice to all: do not join this company. it is a dead-end and even if they can keep the doors open, it is going no where.

Advice to Management

Respect & appreciate your employees. As you have seen, the people who worked hard to keep the doors open have all left after years of constant struggle w leadership. I honestly do not think there is anything leadership can do at this point to save the company or keep valuable employees.

"Run, don't walk"

I worked at Networked Insights full-time

Pros

Literally not one, I am only typing this to hit the word minimum.

Cons

Where to even begin, wow. Lets start w the CEO- to say that he is clueless and inept would be too kind. If you ask him a question, or if there is an all hands, be prepared to listen to him spit out words words words and never actually make a point or answer your questions- bloviating to the enth degree. I have worked for many companies, several startups, all within the tech space and I have never had the displeasure to work with a more clueless, arrogant, and unhelpful group of people. Walking into the Chicago office is less pleasant than going for dental work. Just know, when you start, on your first day, nobody will even say hello to you, or smile at you. Probably bc they all hate their lives. As far as the "software" goes, lolllllll dying laughing at it. The software is nowhere near to being able to being SaaS as it literally doesn't work. Maybe you should have gotten engineers who actually know that SaaS needs to have to be consumed and fired all of your legacy people from when you were services, which you still need to have bc the software doesn't work, doesn't have API, doesn't have reports-good time.
    Outside of that, zero training, zero support if you work remotely, zero marketing(which is not marketings fault as they still do not have a budget) Basically, if you work here be prepared to take a major career step backwards. The CRO left after a funding round, that should tell you all you need to know about this shady, awful company. The good reviews are also written by the handful of employees who are young and not yet jaded and left over from the halcyon days of when this company maybe was not awful. OR they are written by HR, which is comical. What else can I say, oh yea, the "software" is insanely over priced compared to competition, have fun trying to sell it in a very over saturated space.

Advice to Management

Um, give up, close your doors, and move on. OR fire yourselves bc you are all useless and let people who actually understand software come in and run the company. But mainly, give up on life.

"A Great Challenge"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Networked Insights full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Incredible people to work with and great engineering challenges to tackle
    Good compensation
    Focus on getting things done the right way while also considering individual needs
    Great Flexibility in working environment, PTO etc.
    Welcoming community of people who get things done and enjoy doing it

Cons

The company is still growing and has had some growing pains as a result. Our overall direction could be clearer at times.

Advice to Management

Keep working to clarify our direction and help ensure that every individual is along for the ride. Your recent efforts are most appreciated and a great way to continue forward.

"Love working at NI"

I have been working at Networked Insights full-time

Pros

Great work/life balance, awesome technology and even better people. If you want a place to work that gives you the opportunity to get involved in many aspects of the company, NI is for you! We know how to work hard and have a lot of fun doing it!

Cons

Communication could improve, but it's not bad.

7. "Design Your Career"

I have been working at Networked Insights full-time

Pros

Overall, working at Networked Insights has given me the chance to design my own career in many ways and learn what I want to learn. The work life balance can be decent if you work at it and the benefits are pretty great. We also just closed a huge round of funding that should allow us to build some pretty cool things over the next few years.

Cons

Company direction changes frequently and teams are going to need to be more collaborative in order to truly succeed.

Advice to Management

Make sure that every team has representation on the leadership team.

"Toxic Culture, Out of Touch Management"

I worked at Networked Insights full-time

Pros

Unlimited PTO, Free Breakfast on Fridays, Option to WFH

Cons

Where do I begin?

Employees at NI are dropping like flies because the culture is toxic, counterproductive, and mean-spirited. The gossip mill of Networked Insights is out of control - and the tone is set at the top. Management plays favorites, which is incredibly counterproductive and blatantly obvious.

To make matters worse, management has failed to acknowledge the root of their huge attrition %s, instead saying "not everyone is cut out for the fast paced industry" (see "CEO" aka HR's response to a prior review). When colleagues announce they are leaving the company and give proper notice in an effort to help the team, they instead get uninvited from critical meetings and shunned by management. Seems counterintuitive to a smooth off-boarding transition, right? This highlights the pettiness that comes from the top.

The software product at the core of NI's business is clunky and expensive, reiterated time and time again by prospects and clients who choose not to renew. It is next to impossible for Sales to sell, and for Customer Success to retain clients. Instead of doing everything to foster collaboration and innovation across the org, management has instead positioned two major stakeholder groups against each other, physically, strategically, and interpersonally.

Don't be fooled by funding press releases that grossly overstate the software's capabilities and plans to grow headcount. Management has used director-level layoffs as evidence of revenue growth, when anyone with a basic grasp of math can see that simply reducing payroll costs to boost reported revenue figures is grossly misleading.

HR is a figurehead at Networked Insights and doesn't have a seat at the management table. The issues I've raised in this review have been reiterated to HR by myself and others countless times, and have fallen on deaf ears because management does not empower HR to truly transform culture and morale.

Advice to Management

Open your eyes to the major, systemic issues that have forced intelligent, hardworking employees to not only leave NI, but also take the time to leave these reviews. Brushing them off as a matter of individuals not being suited to the nature of the business comes off as naive at best, arrogant and callous at worst.

"Giant Step Backwards"

I worked at Networked Insights full-time

Pros

WFH, Unlimited PTO, Friday Breakfast

Cons

The people, the product, the leadership

The people: Everyone is obviously miserable due to the poor culture. In my time at NI, I've only seen the culture get worse and worse. There is SO much turnover, it is impossible to keep people in seat. Within the last 3 months, nearly 20% of the company has resigned (across all levels).

The product: Unsellable. Unrenewable. No one is buying it and those who do, realize its a waste and do not renew their contract. NI has 1 or 2 large clients and if (when) they leave, NI will sink. A few years ago, NI had to lay off 50% of its employees due to a client leaving. Clearly they didn't learn their lesson then because history is about to repeat itself. Don't even get me started on the product team and their incredibly high perception of themselves.

The leadership: HA. What leadership? The "leaders" at this company are all in seat because they've been there the longest. Not because they're qualified or push the business forward. In fact, NI's latest CRO lasted for 1 year and RESIGNED because of how miserable the company is.

Don't let the "CEO" comment replies on here fool you. Those are written by the People team because the CEO would never take the time to address company/employee concerns. And the things they claim they've "fixed" are as broken as ever.

Advice to Management

Get acquired. You lost.

"Poor Management +No Strategy= Networked Insights"

Former Employee - Business in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Business in Chicago, IL

I worked at Networked Insights full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are a handful of competent individuals who sincerely try to move the company in the right direction. They just raised some cash.

Cons

One of the most toxic, un productive work environments (for no good reason) that I have encountered. No direction or vision from the product team, which is led by a checked out COO. There is no alignment between go to market strategy, product and sales. The sales team turns over on a regular basis. Priorities and goals change on a daily basis.

Advice to Management

Admit that you just don't have any answers. Bring in some A players, to take over.