Neumont University Reviews | Glassdoor

CEO

"Student Worker"

Current Employee - Student Worker in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Student Worker in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Neumont University part-time (More than a year)

Pros

There is a learning experience and everyone is like family

Cons

Some lack of communication between departments.

Advice to Management

Have team building exercises.

2. "Student Worker Position"

Current Intern - Marketing Student in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Intern - Marketing Student in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Neumont University as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

A good balance between school and work. Picking up a few dollars every couple of weeks was nice.

Cons

Hours aren't consistent so this shouldn't be someone's main source of income

"good but could improve"

Current Employee - Bookstore Worker in South Jordan, UT
    Current Employee - Bookstore Worker in South Jordan, UT

I have been working at Neumont University part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

easy job, can do homework while working, get to drive vans (sometimes), good pay

Cons

communication. Hardly anything is communicated between the staff and the workers, students fail to listen to workers because they think we have no power (kinda true but still). You only work 1 day a week :(

Advice to Management

communicate more

"Fast Pace, hard working and a bang for your buck."

Current Employee - Student in South Jordan, UT
    Current Employee - Student in South Jordan, UT

Pros

*Great networking with well named companies (ie, IBM, Microsoft, Google, REI systems)
    *Start programming day one.
    *Actual group project experience
    *Real Internship projects for the last three quarters
    *Great Order Activities to allow the student to release some stress and have fun (Order names: Behind The Screen, Game Shark Order, The Game Gurus)
    *Get your Bachelors degree in two and a half years instead of four.

Cons

*High stress levels.
    *High work load.
    *Some classes will be in "beta phase" which means a lower chance of passing classes.
    *No longer have specialized teachers teaching what they are specialized in.
    *Will have constant schedule issues and can get behind on graduating easily.
    *You are limited to the type of laptop you are allowed to use at Neumont University
    *Neumont University does not focus on C++ or any other languages except C# and Java. (They have recently explored Objective C, but only in small doses)
    *Neumont University does not focus on Databases. They only provide two classes, which only exposes you to MSSQL.
    *Tutoring is no longer specialized and now generalized. Which means it's hard to find help from tutors for specific subjects.
    *Quarter system has now been split into sprints. Which means you only have five weeks instead of ten to learn the same amount of information. This causes information to be lost within the cracks and just allows the student to be exposed to the language instead of actually learning it.
    *The online courses are awful. They currently have "Sets and Probabilities", among other math classes as online courses.

Advice to Management

Some classes should not be on the sprint system. It feels like Neumont University is now trying to produce cookie cutter programmers instead of quality programmers.

Neumont University needs to branch out to other languages other than C# and Java.

Please keep the specialized teachers teaching what they are specialized in. Allow the students to get what they are paying for - "Quality Knowledge".

If you are going to have a "Beta Phase" class, give the students a fair chance to pass the class instead of failing the majority of them because the beta phase failed.

"Terrific place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in South Jordan, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in South Jordan, UT

Pros

-Management cares about employees
    -Fast paced work environment
    -Rewarding
    -Terrific compensation package
    -Co-workers are fun to be around and work with

Cons

-Long hours sometimes when school is in session

Advice to Management

Continue to make the school the best computer science university in the country! It is great to see management focused on a long term goal.

"Neumont University is a great place to learn and work."

Current Employee - Instructor in South Jordan, UT

Pros

Excellent faculty and staff.
    Fun and open work environment.
    A place that is dedicated to high-quality teaching and mentoring.
    It gives you a real sense of accomplishment to work with our students.
    Very flexible work schedule when class is out.

Cons

High work load during the academic quarters.
    Grading and prep takes a lot of time.
    Not many opportunities for promotion and advancement - it's a rather flat organization

Advice to Management

Don't focus too much on the bottom line - there needs to be room for flexibility and depth.
    The faculty is somewhat under-staffed. You need to be open to more hires.

"AWESOME DREAM JOB!"

Current Employee - Instructor in South Jordan, UT

Pros

Neumont is literally a 5 star ranking in all areas of this survey. Filling out the survey helped me realize further how wonderful of a place Neumont University is to work. All of my coworkers are fun and passionate about what we do. Management has a clear vision for where we are headed and does not deviate from it. I have more than a reasonable amount of resources available to deliver the best educational experience to our students.

The work is challenging, and preparing the best Computer Science graduates day in and day out takes a lot of work, but our hiring statistics of near 100% make me realize that we are succeeding at our lofty goals. Neumont is truly a dream job of mine, and I hope to continue delivering this fine experience forever.

There are not many jobs where you are so anxious to get to work each day that it is hard to sleep, but Neumont is definitely mine!

Cons

Stress levels can get high when school is in session, but that just feeds my hunger for a good challenge.

Advice to Management

As you have done for three years now, keep your eye on the ball and persevere in leading us in this most ultimate direction!

"I love this job -- funnest way to spend 8+ hours per day"

Current Employee - Communications Manager in South Jordan, UT
    Current Employee - Communications Manager in South Jordan, UT

Pros

Great work-life balance, great students, great faculty, and an overall fun environment to spend my time.

Cons

It's a LOT of work keeping up with all the unique demands of our students, their parents, and our industry partners and we have to walk a fine line to always ensure the quality of our graduates is unwavering.

Advice to Management

Get more students out there sharing their experiences, we need people to know about the great stuff we're doing.

"Great school"

Pros

The faculty really know what they are teaching and how it applies to the industry

Cons

If you're planning on attending be prepare to work hard

"Future is not looking bright"

I have been working at Neumont University part-time

Pros

Good staff that is willing to help students and make their futures as bright as possible.

Cons

The good staff are leaving and the new marketing techniques are going to bring the School's reputation down.

Advice to Management

Listen to your Instructors and their suggestions

Neumont University Response

Oct 27, 2016 – Marketing Associate

Thank you for sharing your opinion of Neumont as an employee! We’re proud of our staff and faculty who work so hard to help our students succeed. We’re sorry to hear you disagree with some of ... More