Neumont University Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
CEO

1. "Work here only if you like kissing the Prez's tush."

I worked at Neumont University full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

You get a pay check. You are surrounded by computer geeks.

Cons

No raises. No ability to grown. No career advancement. You will be terminated for 'no cause'. President is an arrogant bully.

Advice to Management

You get what you deserve. Drive employees to the point of death. Hope you burn in h e double tooth picks.

"Instructor"

Former Employee - Instructor, College Or University in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Instructor, College Or University in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Neumont University full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of material to learn, loved the teaching, classrooms were nice, curriculum was very organized and planned out. I became a much better teacher because I spent so much time in the classroom.

Cons

Extremely political environment in the academics department. School is owned by investors that are hyper-focused on making a profit over providing a solid education. My position was eliminated so they could hire on more part-time faculty at a lower pay rate. Worked out ok because I was already fed up and looking. The Dean of Academics was particularly unqualified and difficult to work with. He basically sat in his office and watched sports on his computer all day.

Advice to Management

Don't make your instructors teach in the classroom 35 hours a week. Remember you are a school, and the students come first. If you provide a good education to students, you will be successful. Don't be so profit driven.

Sep 30, 2016 – Marketing Associate

No faculty positions have been eliminated in the past 3 years. Instead, with the growth of our institution, we have had to add additional full-time positions. Neumont does make use of Adjunct ... More

3. "Lost their accreditation"

Former Employee - Director of Financial Services in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Director of Financial Services in Salt Lake City, UT

Pros

The original founders had great ideas. Too bad they were never realized.

Cons

Neumont is accredited by ACICS. ACICS is no longer recognized as an approved accrediting agency by the US Dept. of Education.

Advice to Management

Teach 'em out and close it up. You should have gone to regional accreditation when you opened the doors many years ago.

Sep 30, 2016 – Marketing Associate

Our excellent Senior Management are proactive to ensure that Neumont University remains a leader in computer education. See following press release reagarding our accreditation status ... More

"Future is not looking bright"

I have been working at Neumont University part-time

Pros

Good staff that is willing to help students and make their futures as bright as possible.

Cons

The good staff are leaving and the new marketing techniques are going to bring the School's reputation down.

Advice to Management

Listen to your Instructors and their suggestions

Oct 27, 2016 – Marketing Associate

Thank you for sharing your opinion of Neumont as an employee! We’re proud of our staff and faculty who work so hard to help our students succeed. We’re sorry to hear you disagree with some of ... More

"good but could improve"

Current Employee - Bookstore Worker in South Jordan, UT
    Current Employee - Bookstore Worker in South Jordan, UT

I have been working at Neumont University part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

easy job, can do homework while working, get to drive vans (sometimes), good pay

Cons

communication. Hardly anything is communicated between the staff and the workers, students fail to listen to workers because they think we have no power (kinda true but still). You only work 1 day a week :(

Advice to Management

communicate more

"Tutoring, its a hard job, but somebody has to do it."

Former Employee - Student Tutor in West Jordan, UT
    Former Employee - Student Tutor in West Jordan, UT

Pros

The location as a student of Neumont was great as a student.
    The hours were also great as a student.
    The compensation plan was very fair and would have been almost worth my time at the higher level classes.

Cons

Hardly anyone came in for tutoring.
    Grading sucks unless you like to do it.
    I could find a better paying job in the field that was just as flexible with the time and the location.
    The hours became harder to come by in the end due to money restrictions.
    It was only a part time job so there were no benefits to speak of.
    I also did not like the time tracker, as it was ineffective in reporting my hours.

Advice to Management

nothing really to say here.

"Neumont University is a great place to learn and work."

Current Employee - Instructor in South Jordan, UT
    Current Employee - Instructor in South Jordan, UT

Pros

Excellent faculty and staff.
    Fun and open work environment.
    A place that is dedicated to high-quality teaching and mentoring.
    It gives you a real sense of accomplishment to work with our students.
    Very flexible work schedule when class is out.

Cons

High work load during the academic quarters.
    Grading and prep takes a lot of time.
    Not many opportunities for promotion and advancement - it's a rather flat organization

Advice to Management

Don't focus too much on the bottom line - there needs to be room for flexibility and depth.
    The faculty is somewhat under-staffed. You need to be open to more hires.

"Fast Pace, hard working and a bang for your buck."

Current Employee - Student in South Jordan, UT
    Current Employee - Student in South Jordan, UT

Pros

*Great networking with well named companies (ie, IBM, Microsoft, Google, REI systems)
    *Start programming day one.
    *Actual group project experience
    *Real Internship projects for the last three quarters
    *Great Order Activities to allow the student to release some stress and have fun (Order names: Behind The Screen, Game Shark Order, The Game Gurus)
    *Get your Bachelors degree in two and a half years instead of four.

Cons

*High stress levels.
    *High work load.
    *Some classes will be in "beta phase" which means a lower chance of passing classes.
    *No longer have specialized teachers teaching what they are specialized in.
    *Will have constant schedule issues and can get behind on graduating easily.
    *You are limited to the type of laptop you are allowed to use at Neumont University
    *Neumont University does not focus on C++ or any other languages except C# and Java. (They have recently explored Objective C, but only in small doses)
    *Neumont University does not focus on Databases. They only provide two classes, which only exposes you to MSSQL.
    *Tutoring is no longer specialized and now generalized. Which means it's hard to find help from tutors for specific subjects.
    *Quarter system has now been split into sprints. Which means you only have five weeks instead of ten to learn the same amount of information. This causes information to be lost within the cracks and just allows the student to be exposed to the language instead of actually learning it.
    *The online courses are awful. They currently have "Sets and Probabilities", among other math classes as online courses.

Advice to Management

Some classes should not be on the sprint system. It feels like Neumont University is now trying to produce cookie cutter programmers instead of quality programmers.

Neumont University needs to branch out to other languages other than C# and Java.

Please keep the specialized teachers teaching what they are specialized in. Allow the students to get what they are paying for - "Quality Knowledge".

If you are going to have a "Beta Phase" class, give the students a fair chance to pass the class instead of failing the majority of them because the beta phase failed.

"Tutor/TA"

Current Employee - Tutor
    Current Employee - Tutor

I have been working at Neumont University (More than a year)

Pros

Awesome talented students to work with
    Lots of freedom for tutoring and your approach

Cons

Some teachers aren't well organized
    Students will blame you for a lot

"Students for Students"

Former Employee - Academic Coach in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Academic Coach in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Neumont University (Less than a year)

Pros

Great faculty and helping fellow students is always a good feeling. Supplemental pay for student life is always a plus.

Cons

Sometimes faculty and students are unwilling to cooperate. Scheduling sometimes makes it difficult to get students together outside of class. Much of the job is "playing by ear"

Advice to Management

It would be great to see more widespread support for the student positions. They could be something really great if they were more entwined in the curriculum.