NeuroLeadership Institute Reviews

Updated Feb 26, 2021

3.5
NeuroLeadership Institute CEO David Rock
David Rock
Pros
  • "There is a lot of opportunity to really make a lasting impact at NLI(in 15 reviews)

• "It's an intellectually stimulating role with lots of opportunities to learn about neuroscience(in 8 reviews)

• Cons
  • "I think that people at NLI are a little more sensitive to being "SCARFED" than in other workplaces(in 12 reviews)

• "Poor leadership, hypocritical practices and poor work-life-balance(in 6 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

A great place to work

Jul 26, 2020 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

I have been with the company through many major changes, and know the senior leadership well. They are engaged in all aspects of the business, as they should be, which is how we got to where we are. Our CEO, in every all-hands meeting, asks for feedback about everything and anything. I have seen the leadership team listen to feedback time and time again and either use the feedback to improve decisions or address it directly of why or how they came to a decision. They have great respect for personal time, and actively encourage taking time off to recharge. The autonomy is a huge plus.

Cons

Like all companies, there are stressful times, which can weigh heavily on employees.

Employee & Candidate Experience

Thank you for sharing! We're glad you are enjoying your role and all the perks that NLI offers like loads of autonomy and work-life balance, not to mention generous PTO. Please reach out and let us know if there's ever anything we can do to make your experience even better.

2. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Changing constantly

Feb 23, 2021 - Executive Coordinator in Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

Nice people Work from home

Cons

Changes in upper management Inconsistent hours

3. 3.0

Leaders Speak Up

Feb 18, 2021 - Project Manager
      Business Outlook

Pros

Amazing subject matter and experience for those interested in organizational development

Cons

Lots of self-promotion required to advance within the organization. Leadership won't notice or acknowledge your contributions unless you brag (in the most polite sense) about your own accomplishments and work often. Little opportunity for the humble, competent, team-playing devotee.

4. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

I truly love working at NLI - the culture, growth mindset, and people are fantastic

Jul 24, 2020 - Data Analyst
      Business Outlook

Pros

1. The culture is fantastic. In general, people are super supportive, freely offer their help, and want to see you succeed. Also, people tend to be more than happy to share credit and praise. 2. I don't know if there is such a thing as true "work-life balance", but it's rare that I've personally had to work overtime. Leadership encourages people to use their PTO (which is generous) and focus on self-care. Currently, this includes early sign-off Fridays. 3. When the pandemic hit home, NLI hosted (optional) live meditations at least twice/week. They were fantastic. What company even thinks to do this?! 4. Leadership is genuinely interested in the wellbeing of its employees. When I had several mini personal "disasters" hit all at once, the COO checked in with me regularly to see how I was doing, encouraged me to take time off if needed, and never balked whenever I had to bail early to deal with stuff. Never once did I feel pressured to function as though things were "normal". 5. I have learned new skills and developed a much stronger growth mindset through working at NLI. 6. You can live in like any of 21(ish) states as a full-time employee, and as a contractor that number increases.

Cons

1. There is a tough adaptation period, which can last for months. Advice on weathering it: adopt a growth mindset quickly, develop a few internal friends to use as sounding boards, don't take anything personally, own up to your mistakes, and ask yourself how you can grow from a difficult situation. 2. There is a strong focus on SCARF (which is a Pro!), but it's easy to inadvertently "SCARF" someone even if you're careful not to, which can damage relationships. I think that people at NLI are a little more sensitive to being "SCARFED" than in other workplaces...probably because they know so much about it. Advice: make an effort to understand the SCARF model and run your communications by a trusted coworker before sending if there is any doubt about how an email will be received. 3. Due to the pandemic and its effect on business, there were two rounds of lay-offs. They were painful for everyone, but especially those who are now out of work. And, most people had their hours cut by 20% during April. I don't want to minimize anyone's anger or profound loss when it comes to this. I also want to say that I understand the need for Leadership to have made these tough decisions. I am grateful that my job remains intact. I do believe that Leadership did the best it could with what it was faced with. 4. 401k matching was eliminated during the pandemic. I hope it comes back. If it does, I would change my rating for compensation and benefits to 5 stars. 5. There are a lot of growth opportunities at NLI, but I don't know of any related to my own role.

7 people found this review helpful

Employee & Candidate Experience

Thanks for the time and thought you put into sharing this. We really appreciate your sincere feedback and suggestions, and understanding during Covid! Please continue to share across multiple venues and feel free to come to us for anything you need. Your new employee guide sounds like a great idea! Def something we'll keep in mind for the right timing.

5. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Inspiring content and employees, who are looking to grow and rise to the challenge

Jul 27, 2020 - Product Coordinator in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

- A team of bright, creative, supportive, and flexible co-workers. - The option to work remote, or in the office (pre-COVID). The office is bright and spacious, with varied spaces to accommodate different needs and work styles. - A new set of organizational goals and habits each year. Used to guide conversations within teams and company-wide, and create a sense of transparency and accountability in terms of the behaviors and values that will help us succeed and support one another. - Psychology-based models and IP with potential to create the shared understanding, language, and strategies needed for organization-wide behavior change. I have grown substantially as an individual and a professional by engaging with our content and IP. - Opportunities for powerful collaboration with professionals across a wide range of expertise (instructional design, research, client experience, coaching, facilitation, graphic design, etc.). - An incredibly talented and service-oriented group of instructional designers and learning architects that aim to balance professional standards in learning design with creative and forward-thinking learning materials and programs. - A global team that brings a wealth of perspectives to our content and IP. - Generous PTO package and diverse options for insurance. - The yearly NeuroLeadership Summit! It is an opportunity to engage with your colleagues in new ways, refresh yourself on the core content that NLI creates, see first-hand the professional network that NLI represents and empowers, and consider trends and futures of the fields of Leadership & Development, Diversity & Inclusion, and Performance Management.

Cons

- A lack of consistency in the performance review and growth conversation processes. Client-facing teams/individuals appear to have clearer (and more "public") growth trajectories than internally-facing teams/individuals. Opportunities to try new things are there in the nature of NLI's work, but it can be easy to accidentally stay under the radar if you aren't outspoken from the get-go. - While there is a good deal of autonomy for the individual (working hours, location, choice of special projects), projects are at times of such an immense scope, or under shortened/overlapping time limits that it can feel heavy to hold them with complete and deserved care to the end. Projects of this sort can occasionally limit creativity and the sense of ownership and pride over our work. This is likely a pretty direct result of COVID-related constraints, however, so I am hopefully that leadership will help this to subside soon -- I do see concentrated effort on this front. - Partially-defined roles & responsibilities are bittersweet - they allow room to redefine or adjust your role to needs and wants, but they also can lead to an imbalance of accountability. That said, a vocal and strategic employee will always have the chance to speak up and help find a creative solution, so long as they have the time and energy.

4 people found this review helpful

Employee & Candidate Experience

Thank you for sharing such thoughtful feedback. We appreciate your hard work and commitment, especially during a challenging time. We value your input and hope you'll continue to share.

6. 5.0

Incredible company growing rapidly

Jul 24, 2020 - Business Development Manager in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

Remote workforce, wonderful support, great colleagues, experimenting constantly

Cons

Our Macbooks are slowly down

Employee & Candidate Experience

Thank you for this great feedback and suggestion! Please continue to speak up and bring your voice to us. We really value your contribution. Very happy to hear you are enjoying your role.

7. 5.0

Solid Company Making a Difference

Jul 22, 2020 - Senior Client Advisor
      Business Outlook

Pros

A truly great place to work. World class science, great autonomy, wonderful colleagues, and kind and compassionate leadership. I really enjoy working with the team and serving our clients.

Cons

Not really a con but working through ambiguity as we untangle pressing human challenges.

Recruiter

Thank you for sharing your experience with NLI. We're delighted to hear it and encourage you to continue to speak up. Please don't hesitate to share and ask for what you need. We're all ears!

8. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Overworked, underpaid, and Trump-like egotistical CEO

Jul 22, 2020 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Interesting concepts such as unconscious bias, integrity, growth mindset, and inclusion are developed here through training sessions. Team atmosphere is rather strong on the department level. Great immediate supervisor. Khalil, the Chief D&I Officer, was amazing and truly the only one on the leadership team that practiced what he preached. Well-done, Khalil...the rest of the leadership team is HORRIBLE.

Cons

This is a company that 100% is all talk and no bite. The amount of hypocrisy that occurs (especially with the executive leadership) is almost laughable. The worst of them all is the CEO of the company. David Rock preaches a team atmosphere of collaboration and having a growth mindset as a means to achieve growth as a professional and team. Yet he is one of the most egotistical fixed mindset type of person that I have ever worked with. He will not listen to ideas other than his own despite getting feedback that change is needed from clients and expert facilitators. What he says goes...no matter what. He will also ridicule you on calls in front of your peers if you make a mistake he doesn't like, even though he preaches that making mistakes is OK and part of the growth process. He is a micromanager who wants to be the decision-maker on almost every decision in a project, which really slows the project down and requires many rounds of re-work as his feedback is not specific it is just "No, I hate this idea it needs to change." Then he gets upset when he sees it again and it is not what he envisioned. He also seems to find pleasure in making people look bad in front of their peers by calling on random people on a call and talking bad about your work. Just the worst type of leader to possibly work for...and you WILL have to deal with him on a weekly basis since he is such a micro-manager. NLI will also WORK YOU TO DEATH. The hypocrisy they preach of having a "work-life balance" is a joke. Recent shifts in management has led to new department leadership that is focused only on reducing project budgets by 40%. This means the same amount of work needs to be complete 40% quicker. I spent at least 1 late night (2am work nights were common) a week in order to achieve the ridiculous expected timelines. There were many nights I even had to work ALL night in order to meet at 8am deadline. Then they want you to not accurately account for the TRUE amount of hours you worked in their project tracker in order to show false data of achieving these crazy deadlines. When you bring up your concern to management about the rushed timelines, all you get is "well do your best to do it so we can show to them it is not achievable." Basically they are saying DO IT ANYWAY, and hopefully change will occur next time around. That never happened. I worked for this company several years and this was the practice the ENTIRE time. DO NOT work for this company unless you are ok with 60-70 hour work weeks on a normal basis.

19 people found this review helpful

Chief Operating Officer

Thank you for sharing this valuable feedback about your time at NLI. I'm truly sorry to hear that your experience was so poor. Speaking up is a big part of NLI culture and is frequently encouraged by our CEO and COO. In addition, employee experience and balance are a big focus, as is evidenced by our generous benefits package, emphasis on taking time off, approving flexible work schedules, and actively discouraging long work hours. We would have welcomed the opportunity to listen and make any changes possible to address your concerns and well being. Our virtual doors are always open and encourage employees to ask for what they need. No one should ever feel that they can't or shouldn't speak up. Your wellbeing and work enjoyment are always a top priority for our leadership team. We wish you all the best in your next steps and thank you for being a part of the NLI family.

9. 1.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Poor Leadership drive by micromanagment

Jul 22, 2020 - Engagement Manager
      Business Outlook

Pros

Interesting IP, great people on the teams.

Cons

The teams are micro managed so much to allow no autonomy, the leadership team manages with command and control and they do no walk the talk of what they are selling in the marketplace. It is an awful place to work.

13 people found this review helpful

Recruiter

Thank you for sharing your employee experience. I'm delighted to hear that you're enjoying our unique IP and your colleagues. We appreciate you being part of the NLI family. Thanks, also, for expressing your concerns with feeling little to no autonomy. I certainly don't want you to feel the way you do. It makes me sad to hear. If you're open to it, I'd welcome a conversation to see what we can do to improve your experience. No one deserves to be unhappy at work and I want to make sure you have the opportunity to play an active role in facilitating change for yourself and your colleagues. Please reach out to our Employee & Candidate Experience team or a Recruiter to set up a time.

10. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Received $2-5M in Paycheck Protection Loan, Lays off second round of employees

Jul 19, 2020 - Education Sales in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

Intelligent people to work with, remote work option

Cons

Low pay, toxic atmosphere, clueless leadership

13 people found this review helpful

Recruiter

Thank you for sharing your experience and concerns. Certainly, Covid-19 had a major impact on our business. We too were disappointed to have to make some very tough decisions as a result. While transparency around the numbers was given to all employees, I understand that there's still a lot of misinformation and lack of certainty going around. I'm very sorry that this resulted in such a negative experience for you. I want you to know that your contribution mattered to us. Thank you for sharing. I wish we could have had the opportunity to address your concerns while you were still with us. I certainly don't want our employees to feel they can't express their frustration. Our culture actively encourages speaking up and listening to one another. I'm grateful to have the opportunity to address you now. While it won't make the layoff any easier, I hope you'll know that you are heard and we do value your investment of time and energy. Thank you for the commitment you showed during your time at NLI. I wish you all the best in your next steps.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 82 English Reviews