Neustar Reviews | Glassdoor

Neustar President and CEO Lisa A. Hook
Lisa A. Hook

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Extremely poor work life balance with many people having to work in a 24x7 environment (in 16 reviews)

• Upper Management has no loyalty to its employees (in 20 reviews)

1. "Wolf In Sheep's Clothing"

Current Employee - Database Administrator in Sterling, VA
    Current Employee - Database Administrator in Sterling, VA

Pros

Excellent benefits. 401K terrific. Low co-pays and none if you choose the HMO (which, good grief, who wants an HMO? But at least they offer it as a viable choice).

Cons

-Terrible parking conditions. No parking garage so our cars are left to the devices of mother nature. I had to grab a taxi once last year because I couldn't get my car scraped off and dug out after one of our large snows. I'm tired of walking out in the rain, the snow, the wind, the cold. We are spread across 4 sub-par buildings in an industrial park which is underwhelming.

-Horrible work conditions and expectations. 70+ hours are the norm in my group and there is no comp time. I'm seeking employment elsewhere after only a few years because I'm absolutely exhausted all the time and my spouse is fed up with the lack of understanding from management.

-Neustar has some exciting products/prospects but the lofty financial goals come at an exceedingly high price.

-Little respect towards non-management employees.

-Hiring? Ridiculous. First, we are basically an Aol. auxillary campus! It's really not even funny at this point. And, when jobs are posted, if there is a referral candidate, HR still strings countless potential candidates along even though these unwitting souls have no hope of being hiring. It's senseless and a complete waste of everyone's time. I've seen this happen time & time & time again over the last few years and I'm always left shaking my head. "Why bother bringing in all these candidates when you have no intention of considering them?" It's not fair and it quite ruthless actually. These candidates come in with the best of intentions but they are being played. i saw this happen again just this month. In this case I was an acquaintance with one of the potential candidates and he was winded after the demoralizing experience. WAKE UP HR! Professionalism is a two-way street.

-Too much game playing and back stabbing. Not enough information sharing.

Advice to Management

Respect your teams. Comp time is crucial to maintain your talent. You are kidding yourselves if you think you can continue this pace with your present level of staff. I'm bailing and I know 3 others who are actively seeking employment elsewhere. If you aren't careful, you are going to be just a mirror of the Aol. experience/fiasco. This is fair warning.

"Horrible Senior Leadership"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sterling, VA

Pros

The compensation and benefit packages are good at Neustar. The guaranteed contracts provide stability. The company is also good about allows and enabling remote work as necessary.

Cons

The downside of Neustar is a culture that is devoid of senior leadership. Executives will take credit for work of lower level people but if anything goes wrong will blame lower level employees. It is a very dsyfunctional culture with a huge amount of empire building and politics.

Advice to Management

Stop the culture of top down decision making. Also, there are so many people in some areas doing nothing but creating work. In some areas of the company, a reduction in people would actually make things more efficient. There are so many layers of management that totally stifle innovation.

"Do not take a job here if you are looking for a future with a company"

Current Employee - Global Account Executive in Brisbane, CA
    Current Employee - Global Account Executive in Brisbane, CA

Pros

Great products with an opportunity to become a great company.

Cons

Overpriced DNS product that even management can't justify the price. Their only answer to the pricing objection is to throw 2 free months of service at the client on a "soft" contract that they count to their sales number, what a joke! Still being an employee here, I need to see a change at the top to want to stay here with the company in it's current panic mode state and looking to get rid of everybody on the bottom to justify their own jobs. The job gives you an ulcer. The management does 2 meetings a day with each other instead of being on the floor to help and assist newer reps ramping up, this is a horrible waste of time and upper management resources. The turnover rate at this company is higher than I have ever seen at another company in the Tech industry.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the Director of Sales, something has to change. Definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results

"Revolving door"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sterling, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sterling, VA

Pros

Easy to get a job
    Lots of cash to spend
    Benefits are rich
    Cafe is subsidized
    For the most part the executive team is invisible

Cons

Political beyond belief
    An refuge camp for AOL and MCI alums
    Consultants are rampant. Oliver Wyman is in Charge don't cross them.
    mushroom shaped org chart. More executives than workers
    A political shark tank
    the entire company is betting on long shot, low probability products which suck cash

Advice to Management

Show up to employee events and talk to employees. Rid yourself of the massive red tape to get most anything done

"Finance department will destroy this company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sterling, VA

I have been working at Neustar full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay and Benefits are great

Cons

You will have no life. The management in the Finance department are so clueless. Every manager is more worried about not getting blamed for something and so ready to blame other people. Certain managers will ask you to do special projects then take all the credit. Let not talk about the billing department. None of the managers know what they are talking about and everybody in the company knows they are the worst but Finance group will always protect them. Plus it is a bunch of talk. At the last all hands meeting CFO talks about being one team being and talks about how everybody got 130% bonus. He failed to mention certain people in the Finance team only got 94% even though they came over and started the whole year as part of the Finance group. Where is the all on the same team talk now Mr CFO???

Advice to Management

Fix the Finance department

"The Directors and Management will destroy your products and career"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Diego, CA

I worked at Neustar full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Decent pay, self managed, great coworkers and brilliant local team

Cons

Executives and Mgmt don't even know who works in the office, let alone the products developed.
    Treated like a number on a spreadsheet when corporate is concerned.
    No clear direction or appreciation
    No HR representation
    No Legal Representation
    Hypocritical Executives who preach no on telecommuting yet do not work in an office themselves.
    No support given to the teams

Advice to Management

Get out while you still can. The C.E. Levels have lost touch with reality and live in their respective bubbles building some sort of empire for themselves. If you're in a satellite office, you will be treated like a red-headed step child. If you work closer to the core, you will be worked like mad, and treated poorly when you choose NOT to work extra hours and surrender your life to the machine.

"Flop"

Former Employee - Programmer in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Programmer in San Diego, CA

I worked at Neustar full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Sorry... I can't really extol any merits.

Cons

My team of 20-30 people were dissolved by our CTO spouting the now cliched "We cannot survive unless we're in Mountain View" argument. The talent is all up in Mountain View. Mountain View is a mecca of awesomeness. Mountain View has all the talent. Mountain View is a religion. The good people are in Mountain View. And so on.

Unfortunately, said CTO didn't quite calculate the costs of housing in Mountain View. Or the number of Mountain View companies competing for the same talent. Or the salaries needed to attract the talent. And most of all, he failed to realize Neustar is a minor player, a coffee stain on a road map to greatness. It's a third-tier community college of tech.

Neustar's business plan sucked before the relocation. It amounted to acquiring cheap start up technology and hoping for a winner. The state lottery works the same way. But after the the reborn Mountain View pilgram crap, the lotto bumped in price from $1 to $10 per ticket.

Neustar's real achievements are almost 20 years old now. Little can be noted about the past 10 years. Innovation within the company is long gone. Luckily, it really did well in those early years, built up a core. That's the only reason it's still around.

Advice to Management

Advice to management? Same advice I'd give to a brick.

"Being lead to failure"

I have been working at Neustar full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits and positive employees

Cons

Quite possibly the worst executive level leadership that I have ever encountered. For a technology company, they sure don't care about the future of tech. Their CEO is the worst offender, as she is impetuous and refuses to even make public speaking engagements.

Advice to Management

Go back to school, perhaps read a tech blog.

"Pedigree of failure, political, rudderless"

I have been working at Neustar full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There are some good people here

Cons

Those good people will never be successful in an environment where intellect is a threat to senior management. Daily exercises in paper pushing, box checking more about playing business than running one. No strategy, no measurement - lots of PowerPoint. Quarterly reorgs create atmosphere where it's impossible to accomplish a long-term strategy. Use of expensive consultants to tell us what we already knew, then point fingers at when our own strategies fail. Super place to be if you just want to collect a paycheck for smiling and nodding, not doing anything innovative or profitable. Used to be a reasonable, respectful environment, but the senior leadership of the last couple of years has set a catty, political tone that's spreading like a cancer. Consistently ask us to write positive reviews on this site.

Advice to Management

Advice is for the board - please have a good hard look. It's a mess.

"Worst company ever."

I have been working at Neustar full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits and comp plan. Good wellness program.

Cons

Worst leadership team I have ever witnessed. CEO is a mouth piece. Constant re-orgs leaves the entire company in disarray. Not enough support resources to support the sales pipeline.

Advice to Management

Stop re-orging and let the dust settle. Hire more support resources and stop hiring sales people. Stop releasing products into the market without proper product launch.