Neustar Reviews | Glassdoor

Neustar Reviews

Updated March 11, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
Cons
  • work / life balance is a joke - (in 15 reviews)

• There is no diversity in upper management (in 21 reviews)

"Great Vision, Great Culture, Great Place To Work"

I have been working at Neustar full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Neustar has a fantastic vision of connecting people, places and things. The culture here is unequalled - work hard, play hard! The facilities are great and the office locations are cool. You are surrounded by the best and the brightest. We work on challenging problems with the latest technologies and present so much opportunity to learn and grow. Real-time, Big Data, Analytics, Virtualization... there's fascinating work for everyone.

Cons

We just can't hire fast enough!

"Tough times at the San Francisco office"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Neustar full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some of the Bay Area startups bought by Neustar have smart people who are doing cool things, even though the company is having a tough time stopping the mass exodus of talent.

Cons

How about just one thing: people are literally lining up to go to the bathroom. There's only 4 usable toilet stalls (total on both floors) shared by a population of at least 400 people (including employees of other companies - the 4th floor is shared). Meanwhile, additional restrooms (which exist because they are required by building codes) are LOCKED and off limits for employees as they are "reserved for guests." This should tell you all you need to know about the culture of Neustar.

Advice to Management

Let go of your East Coast mentality and realize that you're competing in Silicon Valley. Understand that if you lay people off en masse every quarter the rest are going to look for jobs elsewhere because they'll be constantly worried they could be next.

"Working at Neustar"

Pros

Great company, Sales teams are not very stable alot of turnover and management changes. You can have a solid 3-5yr career but not too many people I've seen make it further

Cons

Don't develop and grow there own people and define career paths

Advice to Management

People in management are great. Alot of politics involved and not enough investment in talent already in house

5. "Smart, Driven, and Friendly"

Current Employee - Product Marketing Manager in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Product Marketing Manager in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Neustar full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Neustar is an amazing place full of talented and uber smart people. It is fast paced and extremely rewarding to see large and small projects move through to completion. Even in a larger organization such as Neustar I feel that I am working with my close friends while we try and take over the world. I am learning a lot and feel that Neustar is the best place to extend my career path.

Cons

Working remotely I do not get to enjoy the amazing amenities that Neustar has to offer in their various locations all over the world.

Advice to Management

Keep moving ahead with your planning and communication plans. It all seems to be working.

"Comme ci comme ça"

Pros

- Committed to investing in the Marketing and Security Services industries over the long-term
    - Mostly indifferent about the current CEO, but she is more than capable of making the tough decisions...and she does make tough decisions regularly when she does engage
    - Current focus on company splitting into two
    - Company is small (2,000 employees) enough to move around internally and open enough to get to know some of the senior and functional leaders

Cons

- Focused more on recent acquisitions, than business in its entirety,and enjoys overpaying to acquire Marketing Services businesses (i.e. MarketShare, Aggregate Knowledge)
    - Weak (or distracted in some cases) product management and marketing organizations in comparison to leaders in the space
    - Company of many cultures; most employees say they work for an acquired company, not Neustar
    - Unknown brand in the space; best known for making widgets, not products

Advice to Management

I hear lots of great ideas from senior management, but I don't believe many of the individuals in next level management teams are capable, inspired, and / or equipped to execute your vision (that is, when you have one). Here are some ideas:

- Services is our competitive advantage and you should try to embrace that. Many of the leading marketing technology companies (Adobe, Salesforce, etc.) are investing more in creating solutions (products + services) and being seen as a partner to brands, not just a vendor
    - Stop overpaying for acquisitions, focus more on tuck-ins than these big 9-figure deals that cause you a lot of headache and distraction. Also, please conduct better due diligence
    - Invest more in leadership development and change management. Not many companies have a CHRO, you should give her some more resources
    - Need a larger focus on executive communications and public relations. Our leaders need to be well-known advocates of our solutions in the market, and we need to inspire our employees
    - We need a few more dynamic, visionary product leaders that make things happen and are known in our space

Last Word: During all hands, our new CMOs (Wolfe) said "silos kill companies". Take his advance and break down some of these internal silos.

By the way, I did write most of this in my engagement survey, I wouldn't want you to rely on Glassdoor to get feedback from me.

Cheers.

"No bright future for employees"

Pros

Good benefit, but getting worse

Cons

A office is made from relatives and old friends, it is impossible for a outsider to join them. New hire is a backup, to replace old one.

8. "Manager"

I have been working at Neustar full-time

Pros

Fun and challenging. Thrives to keep customer happy

Cons

There are some pieces missing to make the

9. "remarkable place to build cool things and get recognized for it"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Neustar (More than 3 years)

Pros

neustar is a remarkable place to build cool things and get recognized for it. It has the rare combo of massive data at scale and interesting problems to solve occurring in a company that’s small, but resourceful enough that you can make your mark and get recognized for it. usually companies that have nontrivial data or interesting problems have plenty of engineers that were there first — try to move the needle at google or linkedin or facebook, for example. starts-ups have plenty of problems to solve and recognition to offer without the real world data at scale or the resources to go for it in a stable environment.

at neustar, the team is dealing with real internet scale problems (DNS for a significant chunk of internet traffic, DDOS prevention for some of the best regarded brands online, creating the pipes to manage some of the largest online advertisers’ audiences) while we’re still growing at a huge pace and have LOTs of opportunities.

Cons

The company acts larger than it needs to

Advice to Management

Get on with the split already!

"steaming fail pie"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Neustar (More than 3 years)

Pros

Many of the rank-and-file employees are truly talented and are among some of my favorite co-workers I've had over the span of my career.

Cons

The executive staff seems to be quite delusional. They seem to think that injecting this senior executive or that acquisition is going to somehow change their fortunes but all they have to show for this folly is rolling layoffs. They feel compelled to provide ample alcohol to keep the employees numb to the ever-present feelings of creeping dread which pervades the workplace.

Advice to Management

Stop posting phony Glassdoor reviews -- you're not fooling anyone.

11. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Neustar (Less than a year)

Pros

We are actively improving the culture, innovating and driving to have fun and accountability at the same time. Full ability to do what we need to do and support across the company to get it done!

Cons

We sometimes forget to put people first, but when reminded it becomes apparent

Advice to Management

Keep holding the team accountable and providing incentives and excitement. Over communicate. There are such great things happening, don't forget to share it!