Neustar Reviews in San Francisco, CA | Glassdoor

Neustar President and CEO Lisa A. Hook
Lisa A. Hook

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • No work life balance if you want to grow with the company (in 17 reviews)

• Upper management is not in synch with fte's and managers so awkward questions about your work performance from multiple levels of managers (in 21 reviews)

"A salesperson paradise"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Brisbane, CA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Brisbane, CA

Pros

a growing list of products to sell... a comp plan that rewards those that can close... advancement opportunity for those that are interested... great benefits

Cons

Sales Ops... they are the one weak link at Neustar... It's often times harder to sell a deal internally than it is to sell it externally... there is high turn over but that is true of any sales organization

Advice to Management

Stop hiring people without relevant sales experience... The head count in sales is too high... A leaner more efficient sales staff will put up bigger numbers

2. "Stellar Team, Great Benefits and Really Smart People"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Neustar full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

From the moment I joined Neustar I was impressed with the momentum and urgency with which each team operates. The company is going through a major transformation effort and it is exciting to be able to contribute meaningfully to make this transformation a reality. The senior leaders are eager to share their expertise and always welcome new ideas. The benefits are superb and the work environment is amazing - especially the open concept office and amenities.

Cons

Working with teams across the U.S. can sometimes be challenging but those are the realities of a global company.

Advice to Management

Keep the employees motivated by providing them with updates about the company and continue giving them an opportunity to share their ideas.

"Neustar is on the right track"

Current Employee - Account Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Neustar full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Great Culture – managers and employees care about your life, family, and your career progression. The work/life balance is a challenge at any company and I think Neustar is getting it right
    - Senior Leader Team casts vision, and listens to input from the rest of the team. The Fireside Chats with the Senior Leadership Team are a good example of this.
    - Excellent benefits and compensation – health insurance, tuition assistance, dental…all of it is top notch

Cons

- With corporate companies, some complacency inevitably creeps in. This needs to be prevented at all levels

Advice to Management

1. Innovate -- Continue to enhance and innovate the Security Services suite of products. The growth is double digits and will grow if you continue to give the Sales team an ex the tools to
    2. Fix Billing -- it is broken
    3. Don't allow complacency attitudes in management, particularly in management that will leak down to individual contributors

"Great Company and Vibe"

Current Employee - Senior Director in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Director in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Neustar full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Making major changes in the industry, the new Chief Data Officer and new Chief Marketing Officer look like all stars, CEO has courage to make some bold moves which are paying off. Strong partnerships to take on a space which needs a lot of work and has a lot of opportunity.

Cons

Low brand recognition, getting better but not yet a name people are going to instantly recognize.

Advice to Management

Keep hiring all stars, talent is a big piece of what is driving this company forward

"The best tech company in SF"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Neustar (More than 8 years)

Pros

Neustar has surrounded me with some of the most intelligent people on the planet. I began my career at Neustar nearly 10 years ago. Neustar gives me the opportunity to work with the most important companies world, providing solutions to complex cyber security issues. The overall compensation shows that Neustar values their employees.

Cons

Headquarters is located in VA.

Advice to Management

Move HQ to SF

"I am new, but this is my favorite company yet!"

Current Employee - Vice President - Technology in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Vice President - Technology in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Neustar full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Long established history
    - Strong Data Analytic History
    - Willingness to try new initiatives and disrupt the status quo
    - Great leadership continually being recruited
    - The company culture is great. People work hard, play hard, and laugh a lot
    - I am new here, so things can change, but I honestly think this is the best place I have ever worked...I see lots of opportunities, good culture, and exciting times ahead!

Cons

- Change can cause discomfort for some. This is a place that is good for those willing to embrace change.
    - This is a fast paced global company. The hours will not be typical 9-5 as you have to communicate with your partners in the business all over the world. Those who want a 9-5 job may have difficulty being successful.

Advice to Management

I think the leadership is open and honest. The communication to the company is great. Keep doing what you are doing!

7. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Neustar (Less than a year)

Pros

We are actively improving the culture, innovating and driving to have fun and accountability at the same time. Full ability to do what we need to do and support across the company to get it done!

Cons

We sometimes forget to put people first, but when reminded it becomes apparent

Advice to Management

Keep holding the team accountable and providing incentives and excitement. Over communicate. There are such great things happening, don't forget to share it!

8. "Sales"

I have been working at Neustar full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Exciting, fast-paced startup mentality with backing of established, large company. New Sales Management are proven leaders from leading tech companies in the Valley.
    -Provide comprehensive sales training/onboarding/SKO
    -Fun, positive culture with great work-balance
    -Modern, high-tech offices
    -Hard-working, smart employees
    -Competitive pay/benefits

Cons

Still a large company so takes time to get to know everyone

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing with the new direction in sales

9. "good nerds who get a lot done"

Current Employee - Senior UI Developer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior UI Developer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Neustar full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Serious internet work, challenging, and lots of it. The people are good; you can approach anybody and ask questions or ask for help, and they do their best to steer you in the right direction. In general the people are pretty smart and competent, a notch above most other companies I've worked for. Not a lot of politics.

Cons

Sometimes it's a bit too 'big corporation', even though it's only about 2000 employees. A lot of the frontends for the products are done by backend engineers or are otherwise lacking, which is tragic as a lot of the software is very good at what it does. It's a very backend-oriented company. Everybody's a nerd in one way or another, even the suits. None of the products can be explained to a 4-year-old. Or even a 16-year-old.

Advice to Management

More contact between actual customers and actual developers (not customer support to product manager)

10. "High Energy, Collaborative environment."

Current Employee - Senior Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Neustar full-time (More than a year)

Pros

* Highly Collaborative, problem-solving, customer centric environment.
    * There's low political drama (If you're below director level).
    * Managers overall genuinely care about their employees and strive to help them leverage their skills on current projects/activities.
    * The Learning and Development group seems pretty active in the DC HQ area but no activity in SF aside from the online courses you can take.
    * Neustar is sensitive and very involved in promoting women's careers in STEM and in being inclusive overall.
    * Lots of opportunities to solve issues and for self-starters, but this isn't the place for risk or change adverse professionals.
    * Very pleasant working conditions and free snacks.
    * Continuous Improvement mind set- always trying to get better

Cons

* Worry about upcoming NPAC contract vote which constitutes a sizable chunk of Neustar's annual revenue. That said, the company has been on a multi-year transformation to a IS&A company, so if Neustar loses the contract it may be a blessing in disguise (although there will almost certainly be short term turmoil with the stock price taking a hit, leaders may exit and potential reorg).

* Not a very innovative company- haven't introduced many 'cool' or 'gee whiz' products or services recently.
    * Seems difficult to recruit technical talent since Neustar has been in San Francisco.

Advice to Management

Spend more time with your employees; allow for and encourage more innovation and cross functional collaboration/problem solving and let's have learning and development more engaged in SF.