Neustar Reviews in San Francisco, CA | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Neustar President and CEO Lisa A. Hook
Lisa A. Hook

Pros
Cons
  • Extremely poor work life balance with many people having to work in a 24x7 environment (in 16 reviews)

• Upper Management has no loyalty to its employees (in 20 reviews)

"Do not take a job here if you are looking for a future with a company"

Current Employee - Global Account Executive in Brisbane, CA
    Current Employee - Global Account Executive in Brisbane, CA

Pros

Great products with an opportunity to become a great company.

Cons

Overpriced DNS product that even management can't justify the price. Their only answer to the pricing objection is to throw 2 free months of service at the client on a "soft" contract that they count to their sales number, what a joke! Still being an employee here, I need to see a change at the top to want to stay here with the company in it's current panic mode state and looking to get rid of everybody on the bottom to justify their own jobs. The job gives you an ulcer. The management does 2 meetings a day with each other instead of being on the floor to help and assist newer reps ramping up, this is a horrible waste of time and upper management resources. The turnover rate at this company is higher than I have ever seen at another company in the Tech industry.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the Director of Sales, something has to change. Definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results

"Liars, bait and switch, ego based management, reward and promotions strictly on politics, closed minded orderly approach"

Current Employee - User Experience Design in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - User Experience Design in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Neustar full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

none, really, the nice and most qualified people left the company. It is going downhill, like the stock. — There are only about 4-5 people I consider worthwhile coworkers, and only two of them are in management.

Cons

lower experienced management promoted through politics, decline of people skills in new management, does not value loyal staff devoted to good work. More value for hierarchical claim of credit than open discussion and deserved recognition. I see new junior workers treated rudely and devalued for no reason. I think they are hired to boost lower skilled management egos, really. It is no longer a supportive collaborative environment. People use the blame game to cover their own mistakes rather than to resolve. … I was actually told while working there to work slower and not post all of my work on confluence so the lead developer did not appear to be behind, and to make her look like a better worker. It was one of the more boring jobs I've held. I'm looking forward to getting back to working with more genuine people with less corporate cover ups. … The bait and switch of others is unethical. One day someone was told told they will get help with a work visa for helping the company and dumped for no reason of performance when the time of need came. I have seen others told promises of training in front of a group of people and pulled aside within 5 minutes to be told it is not true, The new management is not trustworthy. Neustar does not deserve your good work. It has a lot of shallow marketing to save face, though that is deep as it goes. Sincerely.

Advice to Management

Contractors, even after 3 years, are considered worthless and do not get any incentives, raises, or thanks. When you have a lot of indian people on your staff a party at a stake house for a company is moronic. Indians are Vegetarian- duh. Your talk about career with the company is just insincere marketing words. — I would suggest a clean sweep of your politicians and those who are sweeping people under the run to cover up for their mistakes. I would suggests you take an approach to review design more efficiently, live up to your promises, educate your management on ethics, on create a place where bouncing ideas off the walls are acceptable to sort thoguh the ok and the ones that really work. You have a corporate climb mentatlity now that has shown more defensiveness on who is wright and who is wrong. In actuality it is all the darts we throw that get to the best answer. I remember there was a time I used to love meeting with my coworkers to get some progress done and now it is like a a thankless authority game. It used to be a fun and rewarding place to work that is now just politics. Good luck with your Hitler of today..

"One of the Worst I have worked for - Neustart IISG (UltraDNS / Webmetrics)"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Brisbane, CA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Brisbane, CA

I have been working at Neustar full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I had a job during the economic downturn.

Cons

Management are managers not leaders. Lack of cohesive vision. Lack of customer service. Company was not looking out for customer's best interest. Licensing designed to cause customers to have unplanned overages and have to find non budgeted funding. Lack of understanding / no interest in understanding what activity leads to new business. Management does not listen to team members.

Advice to Management

If you don't have happy employees and customers what is the point... Change what you stand for.

"Clownshow. Big shoes, small car and red noses included for effect."

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Neustar full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Pay. Easy working hours. Out of touch senior leadership (also con - see below). Great offices in SF. Small number of key people seem to get it and are driving the only real growth.

Cons

Out of touch senior leadership. CEO who somehow seems to have a job despite losing 50% of the companies revenue. Lack of direction and strategy. Time for an SLT tuneup.

Advice to Management

Pack it up - you can't compete with Adobe, Oracle, comScore, Salesforce or Nielsen.

"Regret taking the position - worst job of my 16 yr career."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Neustar full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Casual dress. Good benefits. Decent salaries but lower than average for bay area.

Cons

Toxic culture. Everyone is overworked and stressed, which trickles from the top down. Culture of reaction instead of thinking things through. No work/life balance. Regularly given last minute "urgent" tasks, resulting in late nights and weekends as the norm. Culture of blame. No unity. All Hands meetings are a joke and meant to just feed people cool-aid. Lots of politics and in-fighting among SR Mgmt. Culture of tattling on each other, instead of collaborating. Teams point fingers at other teams, instead of trying to work together. Lots of turnover in middle management and above.

Advice to Management

None. Once I quit, I'm never going to think of this place again.

"steaming fail pie"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Neustar (More than 3 years)

Pros

Many of the rank-and-file employees are truly talented and are among some of my favorite co-workers I've had over the span of my career.

Cons

The executive staff seems to be quite delusional. They seem to think that injecting this senior executive or that acquisition is going to somehow change their fortunes but all they have to show for this folly is rolling layoffs. They feel compelled to provide ample alcohol to keep the employees numb to the ever-present feelings of creeping dread which pervades the workplace.

Advice to Management

Stop posting phony Glassdoor reviews -- you're not fooling anyone.

"Working here has left a bitter taste in my mouth."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Neustar full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-The people you work with, very friendly.
    -Great benefits.
    -You can have a stress free 9-5 job if you play your cards right.
    -Happy hours and chair massages to keep you docile and content. Although you're not really expected to enjoy yourself. It's all for show.
    -Tons of snacks
    -Very nice office

Cons

-The people you work for, incompetent and outdated depending on which department you work for.
    -Crappy compensation.
    -You can get away with a LOT of slacking off. Believe me, I've seen my fair share of slackers in the office and there is no shortage. Oddly enough, these people seem to be the ones who get rewarded the most. The rich get richer.
    -Constant acquisitions where everything is fun and great for a while. Then the honeymoon phase is over and management decides to restructure and then heads roll. Their strategy? Cut the most hard working/most expensive employee there, only to rehire for that position a couple months down the line because they bit off more than they could chew resulting in a loss of knowledge transfer and optimum efficiency.
    -This company's culture struggles to be hip and innovative yet it's run by people who think this is still the 90's. It's like a constant struggle between good and evil and the side that doesn't want to adapt, also happens to be the side that doesn't want to embrace change and progress for the sake of keeping their jobs.
    -Constant issues with customer satisfaction due to the inevitable decline in the quality of services. Patch after patch to fix these issues, never wanting to address the underlying root problem. I have to ask, would you like to work on a product that has 20 bandages on it?
    -Favortism. Doesn't matter how hard you work if you're not the favorite.

Advice to Management

If there is one lesson I've learned the hardest, it's that you can't trust management to have your best interests as an employee. Thrown under the bus and fed to the wolves for being naive and trusting. That was the greatest lesson I learned while working here. Thank you.

"Steer clear of this train wreck"

Former Employee - Senior Product Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Product Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Neustar full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Had the privilege of working with some incredibly talented engineers. Couple of the folks on marketing services were very structured and detail oriented. Other teams had talent but sometimes lacked focus.

Cons

Very top down management style. Incentives are in the wrong place. Terrible work life balance. Most are not excited to work here. Everyone is overworked because of too many layoffs, therefore severely understaffed.

Advice to Management

More communication bottom up and top down. Stick to your goals without constant shifting. Remain calm and make a solid plan instead of bleeding fear and chaos into teams.

"Almost impossible to make the money they tell you in the interview / commission plan."

Former Employee - Account Executive in Brisbane, CA

Pros

Neustar is a very very large organization, and with that comes the better reasons for working there. Benefits, time-off, etc. are very good with them. It is a relatively relaxed place to work and generally management has no problems with adjusting work schedules and or time off to suit your needs. Upper management has been making the attempt to provide the sales teams with more tools and good training. They have paid for many of these tools in the past and brought in some top notch training which will be very useful in future jobs. They have money and do invest in their employees.

Cons

Very very unrealistic goals for the number of sales reps working there. Management believes so much that everyone with a website needs the product, but reality is there are many other solutions available for small to medium and even large companies at a much lower cost. The IT departments which are the targets of sales calls, have a very good understanding of the alternative solutions and are very hesitant to pay a price which is often five times higher than the next best solution.

Advice to Management

Scale back the sales team.

10. "Place you"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Brisbane, CA

Pros

-Supportive environment from peers
    -Structured (for those who like structure)
    -Improved training modules
    -A great place to learn sales techniques and team atmosphere

Cons

-Big disconnect from Management and Employees
    -Limited professional and career advancement
    -Relatively "unsecure"
    -Products need to improve
    -Promotions and raises are also quite infrequent.

Advice to Management

- lead by example and stop hiding behind the "good ole boy" network
    - clearly communicate vision and strategy to employees
    - be fair, promote good people, instead of hiring cronies
    - stop using PIP's as a motivation tool
    - switch corporate culture to cultivation and collaboration to improve productivity, pride, and self-motivation