Neustar Software Engineer Reviews | Glassdoor

Neustar President and CEO Lisa A. Hook
Lisa A. Hook

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • No work life balance if you want to grow with the company (in 17 reviews)

• Upper management is not in synch with fte's and managers so awkward questions about your work performance from multiple levels of managers (in 21 reviews)

1. "supportive culture, very little politics"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Neustar full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

people are supportive of each other, and accepting of people's idiosyncrasies. In some departments there is very little politics, and people are just focused on the work. Promotions happen regularly. Contrary to what glassdoor reports (it is really off) pay is great.

Cons

Extreme variation of experiences based on the department you're in. I've heard that some departments are very disorganized.

Advice to Management

Keep focusing on the culture. Export good culture to other teams.

"It's all about management"

Former Employee - Senior Software Development Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Development Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Neustar full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you want plain job in IT and get market salary - this is a possible place to be

Cons

Lame and inappropriate tech stack used to develop, no way management wants to change it.
    After leaving the company I had to study a lot before getting to the next job because company was way behind the modern stack.
    Management's job security is the only their concern.

Advice to Management

Leave

"Depends on the office"

Current Employee - Software Engineer I in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer I in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Neustar full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Depending on the office you're in, it can be awesome. As a whole, the corporate side is pretty silly and full of bureaucratic nonsense that stifles productivity and focuses on procedures instead of getting things done.
    The engineering team at the SD office is amazing and one of a kind. Couldn't ask for better

Cons

Pay increases are small and rare, don't expect much from the man. But again, if you're in one of the good offices, chances are you will land an awesome boss who will really invest in your career growth.

Advice to Management

Budget properly, stop will all the paperwork and excessive control, just let engineering do their job

"Tough times at the San Francisco office"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Neustar full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some of the Bay Area startups bought by Neustar have smart people who are doing cool things, even though the company is having a tough time stopping the mass exodus of talent.

Cons

How about just one thing: people are literally lining up to go to the bathroom. There's only 4 usable toilet stalls (total on both floors) shared by a population of at least 400 people (including employees of other companies - the 4th floor is shared). Meanwhile, additional restrooms (which exist because they are required by building codes) are LOCKED and off limits for employees as they are "reserved for guests." This should tell you all you need to know about the culture of Neustar.

Advice to Management

Let go of your East Coast mentality and realize that you're competing in Silicon Valley. Understand that if you lay people off en masse every quarter the rest are going to look for jobs elsewhere because they'll be constantly worried they could be next.

5. "Principal Software Engineer"

Former Employee - Principal Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Principal Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Generally a great place to work: good location, snacks, drinks, coffee, and great benefits.

Cons

A small but very profitable company with a specific focus, if statistics and demographics aren't interesting to you and the presentation of data isn't relevant to you, theres not going to be much for you.

"Almost like living in a Kafka story"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Sterling, VA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Sterling, VA

I worked at Neustar full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits, average pay, low stress, strong 401k match, mediocre ESPP (no lookback), good place to park until you find something better

Cons

Bleak future, dysfunctional management, busy work and people trying to look busy, nepotism/cronyism, revolving door of executives and highly paid consultants

Advice to Management

Imagine if the CIA infiltrated an organization to disrupt it from within. That's what it feels like to work at Neustar. Things happen in almost, but not entirely, the most inefficient way possible.

"Best place I've worked yet"

Current Employee - Software Engineer II in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Software Engineer II in Rochester, NY

I have been working at Neustar full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

My subordinates and superiors are friendly and supportive. I've yet to be pressured to work greater than 40 hours per week and my manager has made great efforts to help me learn the systems and get up to speed. I was offered a higher salary than I had asked for during my interview. I'm aware of paths for promotion and personal improvement though I'm still too new to have utilized them

Cons

Because of the vertical business organization teams sometimes care too much about their bottom line that they negatively affect other teams. Being on the team at the end of a production line, unreasonable exceptions are sometimes passed down the line and end at us.

Advice to Management

Listen to the concerns of your lower management. They have a good sense of what their team is capable of and when they are provided inadequate resources.

8. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Neustar full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Neustar has very competitive benefits, the work is challenging and interesting, and they really do have the employee in mind, as evidenced by the focus on training and personal wellness.

Cons

None yet, as I've only been here three months.

"Chaotic strategy messes up day to day"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Diego, CA

I worked at Neustar full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Most of the day to day work was interesting, challenging and generally well paced. The colleagues I worked with almost universally talented, committed and fun to work with. Neustar's financial position at the time was great and were able to engage in acts of largese at will such as an anual developers conference uniting developers from across the country at high profile national locations.

Cons

Strategically the company didn't seem to show any consistency and lacked the ability to see through plans. Financial planning was throughout my 3 years subject to wild swings. Ultimately what ended it for me was closing the San Diego office I worked in, as part of a grand plan to unite all the west coast offices into Mountain View. A month later they announced they were closing Mountain View and moving to San Frncisco. They have subsequent rented a large amount of office space in UTC, about 5 miles from where I previously worked. Looking back it wasn't much of a surprise. I witnessed Neustar gut the sales team, in a management initiative to cut costs (and experience) of the sales team that our business unit never really overcame. They also had a (consultant led) plan to streamline managent titles which ultimately pissed off a lot of people by taking away their titles but achieved nothing else. In my time I had 5 managers. I think the inability to hold onto middle mannagers was another major company failing My takeaway was a tone deaf senior management team that consistenyly wanted to interfere and never had the ability to make their choices work.

Advice to Management

For the C-suite: Trust your people and stop interfering.

"Clownshow. Big shoes, small car and red noses included for effect."

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Neustar full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Pay. Easy working hours. Out of touch senior leadership (also con - see below). Great offices in SF. Small number of key people seem to get it and are driving the only real growth.

Cons

Out of touch senior leadership. CEO who somehow seems to have a job despite losing 50% of the companies revenue. Lack of direction and strategy. Time for an SLT tuneup.

Advice to Management

Pack it up - you can't compete with Adobe, Oracle, comScore, Salesforce or Nielsen.