New Belgium Brewing Reviews | Glassdoor

Kim Jordan

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Marketing Manager"

I worked at New Belgium Brewing full-time

Pros

Incredible culture. Plenty of opportunities to be creative and build out your ideas.

Cons

It’s a competitive industry, so there are constant headwinds that are part of the work environment.

2. "New Belgium Brewing"

I worked at New Belgium Brewing full-time

Pros

Strong foundation of a company that seeks to be a force for good. The people make it a great place to work and commitment to sustainability throughout the companies history all lends to a Great Company Culture focusing on a triple bottom line approach. People, Profits, and the Planet.

Cons

Recent changes in CEO and Senior leadership team have brought a more traditional corporate approach to the business/culture. The opportunities for growth and high involvement have decreased internally as the desire to hire outside of the organization has increased.

3. "Great People, Great Product"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Collins, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Collins, CO

I worked at New Belgium Brewing full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great People, Great Product. Lots of passion

Cons

High turnover in leadership has led to instability.

Advice to Management

Some people would like a chance to grow. Help create and encourage those next steps.

4. "Liquid Center"

I worked at New Belgium Brewing full-time

Pros

Great environment and company culture

Cons

Long hours, have to work weekends

"NOT THE PLACE I FIRST WORKED FOR - THE CULTURE IS DYING."

Former Employee - Tour Giver, Social Media Supplementation, Music Program Creator in Fort Collins, CO

I worked at New Belgium Brewing (More than 5 years)

Pros

Bikes, beer, and a fun interactive environment. I absolutely LOVED the company I worked for when I started, and I was operating a forklift in 42 degrees.

Cons

Nepitism. Extreme favoritism for folks who were tied to the family or were a part of the first 100ish hired. I made many attempts to give positive suggestions in a positive manner and it was never implemented. This was the first job I worked out without 100% positive upward motion to management. Many who have left feel similar to my experience. Unless you're hired on in a non-production job, you are completely expendable. It really became very difficult to lie to the public while giving tours.

Advice to Management

There are no checks/balances for middle managers who do immoral and illegal things. From the inability to take lunches, meetings scheduled on already long Saturdays (we were allowed to have 4 Saturdays off in 1 YEAR), to verbal abuse. There was absolutely no support from HR. Rating your manager as needing major improvement (from the majority of the department mind you) did absolutely nothing. Even with over 10 documented cases of people going to HR the last 2 years I was there, nothing was done about the activity. It became unbarable to lie to the public about work/life balance as a part of their core values and beliefs that do not stretch to anyone in the tasting room, brewers, or other production jobs. I left this job after over 7 years making $950 a paycheck.

"Beer Ranger"

I worked at New Belgium Brewing full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, social responsibility and charitable initiatives.

Cons

Low pay, culture is cultish and they expect you to drink the juice. Managers have less skill than employees at times. Work schedule for Rangers is expected to be 24/7.

Advice to Management

I launched a state for them, being told they would add more rangers shortly thereafter. Within 6 months the state was one of the largest volume for them. In a mtg with my manager and division director I was asked to take on a “Hybrid” role and it was explained I was to do my job, manage the distributors, train all new rangers that were hired for the state and they would kindly move me to an area of the state that was lower cost of living and “generously pay me 10K less”. I was astounded and left shortly thereafter. I wonder now if after years of drinking the juice it had changed the brain chemistry of the two managers to be not quite in reality or have common sense.

"Regional Sales Representative"

I have been working at New Belgium Brewing full-time

Pros

Independence from working remotely
    Great benefits
    Nice coworkers
    Excellent product
    Employee owned!

Cons

Always shifting priorities
    Not as open book as they say
    Little work/life balance and personal time is not respected

Advice to Management

Please respect employees personal time, as a Beer Ranger working remotely, it is often 6-7 days per week with late nights
    Also please be sure to hire managers that fully support and demonstrate the core values of the company in order to best support employees and the mission

8. "production"

I worked at New Belgium Brewing full-time

Pros

Great place to work if you don't like working. If you get in with the group.

Cons

Too many managers/directors. 1 in every 5 is some "leader". Ownership means nothing.

Advice to Management

Layoff the other 36% you should have, in all departments! - INCLUDING marketing.
    You may never see 1 million bbls - quit hanging on to a magic #!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. "grr"

Pros

Employee ownership is nice even though it doesn't mean job security.

Cons

Nepotism, the employees who have been there longer can't get fired even if they are low performers, new employees aren't allowed to question any policy.

Advice to Management

Give a crap about the people who do the work and if you make cuts across the entire brewery that means looking at all departments including marketing.

10. "Great company to work for"

I worked at New Belgium Brewing full-time

Pros

Great benefits, great friendly atmosphere, great products, respected in the industry

Cons

Some growing pains with a lot of changes in management and tough competition.