New Directions Treatment Services Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated April 4, 2017

1.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
CEO

1. "My experience will provide coping skills to gain a life free from drugs."

Current Employee - Social Worker BSW Minor Human Services Drugs and Alcohol in Bethlehem, PA

I have been working at New Directions Treatment Services full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The best reason for me being there is assisting the addicts in recovery and teaching them how to the use tools once they learn how to manage the triggers that lead them back to drugs.

Cons

Keeping the addicts on a sober life they have many emotional issues that contribute to relapse, I believe that with behavior modification they will seek other alternatives and drugs wont be won of them.

Advice to Management

I always told the addicts that addiction was a life style that they adopted, and it was a learned behavior that can be unlearned. They just have to make the choice to unlearn it and relearn to get there life back

2. "does anybody care"

Former Employee - Counselor in West Reading, PA
    Former Employee - Counselor in West Reading, PA

I worked at New Directions Treatment Services full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

benefits, that is it. everything else is bad

Cons

sneaky conniving management lying, screaming at employees

Advice to Management

look in the mirror, walk a mile in my shoes, nasty bad decisions...

3. "supervisor"

Current Employee - Pennsylvania in Bethlehem, PA
    Current Employee - Pennsylvania in Bethlehem, PA

Pros

The counselors are awesome, the clients worth the work.

Cons

The upper management is insane. Workplace is tense, unproductive, and fearful.

Advice to Management

Make those high up accountable in some way so it's not a constant off with their heads atmosphere.

4. "Case Manager"

Pros

Working with the underserved populations and diverse needs.

Cons

My educational background is in business administration althought my worked experience is 17 years working with the underserved populations.

"The upper manager never care and micro control the employee"

Pros

I enjoyed the connection with clients, who are willing to work on their mental health problems. Other clinicians are nice, but not the admin team.

Cons

The worst admin team, who think they know everything, very bad manner (playing cellphone, talking and laughing loud, while clients are right outsides), disrespect clinicians and clients, no team work at all. There is no growth opportunity, the upper management is corrupted and way too controlling and dominant. There is no room for negotiation.

Advice to Management

Be a better person to yourself first, be kinder and be humbler.

"sad"

Pros

counselors are wonderful, work very hard helping an increasingly difficult group of clients, benefits are okay

Cons

administration, it has become like working in a concentration camp. Nobody interacts with anyone else, if you do you are out the door, unless you are one of the "chosen" then you can do whatever you want. Why can't the Board see this? Why is this continuing?

Advice to Management

Get new leadership -this one has gone over the edge! The paranoia is palatable and is ruining what was once a productive and pleasant place to work. Probably a new board is in order as well because this one just turns a blind eye to the antics that are occurring here

"Adm."

I have been working at New Directions Treatment Services (More than 10 years)

Pros

They do have definitely good benefits as: Insurance medical, dental ,vision. With every hour that you work as a Part time yo do accumulate PTO. Also as a full time as a Salary employee of course depending the position and the circumstances you accumulate certain amount of hours in a monthly basis.

Cons

Unfortunately depending the position the pay rates are low . Because is not organization the board ,employees and management is not been treat equally they last weeks or few months and they leave, employees that are working over 10, 15 years are leaving the Company. Who ever the way that Superior give to the employees is not fairly. The administration has change so much in the two last year . Please keep this anonymous because I can be the next to be laid off before I get another job and I do have a family to support .

Advice to Management

Yes I had advice several times to my superiors, but the Company had change Management and Staff many times and unfortunately the approach is that anything can been done.

"Anonymous"

Pros

The counselors are strong, dedicated, passionate, and knowledgeable. The clients are challenging but willing to work and engage in treatment.

Cons

This is a dysfunctional workplace. Most employees have little to no confidence in the Executive Director. There is a feeling among the current staff that any criticism or suggestions to management will result in termination as evidenced by the high turn-over during the last two years. There is no real possibility of promotion from within. This is a new trend and has become increasingly frustrating for employees that have worked here for some time. Management is very secretive and seems to avoid transparency with staff. All staff are not held to the same standards and gross misconduct have been overlooked while minor infraction have resulted in termination.

Advice to Management

Take a look at your staff and be open with them. They are all professionals with diverse and valuable experience. Instead of keeping things secret from them, engage them and they will respond. Spread out some of the responsibility. Stop trying to have one person manage all the sites and act as an Executive Director.

"Dysfunctional"

Pros

Helping patients is the only pro here.

Cons

Many cons. Dysfunctional all the way around.

Advice to Management

Learn how to be supportive of staff. Stop playing favorites. Learn how to communicate as adults. Get a sense of humor.