New England Donor Services Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Alexandra Glazier

1. "Mission Driven with High Expectations"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at New England Donor Services full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

For a career with strong sense of mission it is hard to imagine a better place than New England Organ Bank in that you are helping transplant patients in need while also helping grieving families. This is a job that is immensely satisfying for those looking to make a difference. Pay seems competitive with hospital salaries in and around Boston.

Cons

It is hard work. When things are slow it is frustrating because you know people in need are dying while waiting for a transplant. When things are busy it is "all hands on deck" and the work HAS to be done by someone or more people waiting will die. There is always pressure to perform because performance had life and death consequences.

Advice to Management

Focus on hiring the best and brightest. Best and brightest don't mind hard work and will understand the sacrifices needed to get the job done.

"Clinical Coordinator"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waltham, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waltham, MA

I have been working at New England Donor Services full-time

Pros

The benefits are great and one of the many reasons I can't find a reason to leave. The people that you get to work with every day are incredibly smart, talented, and have a lot to offer to the organization's mission. They offer a competitive salary, the current CEO has been an incredible leader; I don't see that changing with the new CEO who should also offer fresh ideas and an exciting future.

Cons

The hours are demanding and the work/life balance is difficult to manage at times, but the benefit time can help balance this out. Metrics are used to measure performance and help work towards a goal, but they can be micromanaged and daunting. They offer the ability to submit ideas, but very few get any traction to get off the ground.

Advice to Management

Don't use metrics as a primary tool for measuring success and performance. There are regular training sessions regarding communication, but little to do with clinical information that could be beneficial and exciting to the people that work in operations.

"Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Donation Coordinator in Waltham, MA
    Current Employee - Donation Coordinator in Waltham, MA

Pros

There is great flexability with scheduling at NEOB. Also, responding onsite to many different hospitals big and small, neat to see how different places run. There is a lot of independance in this job but there is a big support system in place if you ever need anything - even in the middle of the night. Coworkers are great to work with and offer support in many different ways. Great team effort!

Cons

Sometimes the amount of hours that you are on site

"Excellent Career and Team"

Former Employee - Donation Coordinator in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Donation Coordinator in Boston, MA

Pros

Great benefits
    good personel development opportunities
    inspiring org

Cons

work hard when working
    little room for career advancement

6. "Tissue Recovery Specialist"

I have been working at New England Donor Services (Less than a year)

Pros

Great team atmosphere, lots of time off

Cons

Schedule can be tough. Lots of time sensitive work

""Coordinator""

I have been working at New England Donor Services full-time

Pros

Amazing mission, great group of dedicated people and super benefits.

Cons

The hours are long and can suck the life out of you. Burn out is imminent. You are expected to attend meetings and trainings on your days off. Expense reimbursement is very minimal and complicated. "Life balance" is talked about but nothing is done to help improve it.

Advice to Management

Have open dialogues with your staff and listen without getting defensive. Lead your staff by creating a human bond with each of your team members. Be respectful of their time off as they respect their time on the clock. We all need to recharge our batteries, especially working within a stressful environment.

New England Donor Services Response

Apr 12, 2017 – Human Resources

As you mentioned, the mission of NEDS is definitely the main driver for our employees to do amazing work every day. The hours can be long and the work challenging, but we look for ways to enhance ... More

8. "Coordinator"

I worked at New England Donor Services full-time

Pros

The job is fulfilling, never boring. Decent money

Cons

People not valued. Unprofessional behaviors by management bordering on bullying or harassment.

Advice to Management

They don't value anyone's opinion except for their own so advice is meaningless

New England Donor Services Response

Apr 12, 2017 – Human Resources

We often hear from our employees that working for NEDS is fulfilling, as you state, since the work they do every day has such a profound impact on the lives of others. We are sorry that you feel ... More

9. "coordinator"

Pros

great pay, benefits, and work environment

Cons

the schedule is constantly changing for some departments

10. "Clinical Staff"

I have been working at New England Donor Services full-time

Pros

The culture supports the mission

Cons

The hours can be long

11. "most fulfilling job of my life"

Former Employee - Organ Donation Coordinator
    Former Employee - Organ Donation Coordinator

I worked at New England Donor Services full-time

Pros

Best job I ever had, was there from 2002-2005. Yes the mission is amazing and yes the unification in that is tremendous creating a fantastic culture. But the best part of the job is how it changes you. How the donORs and families change you. You become less judgmental of others, more open minded, you make connections with families in that critical moment that many could spend decades trying to have. Everyday you leave emotionally and physically exhausted as well as fulfilled in what you have accomplished. No other job do you leave at the end of the day knowing the direct and tremendous impact you had not only for the recipients but for the donor family in helping them find some solace in a dark time.

Cons

Fear of failure, fear of not being as successful as you had hoped or worked for. Failure or deciding to not work as hard because your tired are not an option. The hours are long but the benefits are good. The work is intense and the reward ample. You have to manage your life well, assure you are resting adequately, using your pto for holidays, maintaining a balanced lifestyle otherwise it is easy to burn out.

Advice to Management

Thank you for the opportunity to learn and grow in my role at your organization. I always felt appreciated and that my work was respected and supported. I wish there were more opportunities for advancement and secretly pursue the job postings hoping someday there might be the right one for me to move back.