New England Research Institutes Reviews | Glassdoor

Sonja M McKinlay

"Great Place to Grow"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Watertown, MA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Watertown, MA

I have been working at New England Research Institutes full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

First, let me just say that I’m not the type to write reviews… I read all the comments on sites like Yelp and Amazon but I rarely contribute, even if I’ve had an especially bad (or good) experience. After hearing whispers that there were some unsavory reviews on Glassdoor I decided to check it out, and I feel like it is worthwhile to take the time to share my thoughts. I have to say I am disappointed and strongly disagree with several of the comments on this site. I feel frustrated that my experiences are not echoed by my colleagues, and that my job feels somehow de-valued by these postings. Perhaps it’s just that only those with something negative to say take the time to write a review?

I started at NERI about six years ago, right out of college. It was my first office job, and I really didn’t know what I wanted to do long-term. If you had asked me then where I thought I’d be now, I certainly wouldn’t have expected to still be here– but I am honestly so glad that I have stayed… Over the past six years I have received numerous promotions, opportunities to grow including contributing to manuscripts and developing my own research interests, and have found myself in a very successful career as a project manager. Having seen the experiences and career trajectories of my friends and classmates in my Master’s program, I can confidently say that the opportunities for growth at NERI are unmatched, especially for early career employees. There is not a lot of “red tape” here, and if you are driven and motivated, it feels like the sky is the limit. I also really appreciate the support that NERI has shown in accommodating my school work, and the tuition reimbursement program ($2000/year) is awesome.

NERI is able to meet all of the things that matter most to me in a job – I feel like I am appreciated, that I am doing meaningful and interesting work, that there is room to grow, and that I can leave the office behind at the end of the day. I love the people that I work with – both our teams within NERI and our external collaborators on projects. I have had the opportunity to work with and learn from so many experts in their fields.

We have a new office space which is a huge perk – the gym and cafeteria make me feel like I’m working for a start-up (without the crazy stress and hours), and the cubicles are pretty large, bright, and airy (some people were very angry to lose their offices when we moved, but having always sat in a cube this really didn’t affect me). In the past few years they have also developed a more formalized leadership structure, and it feels like they are putting focused attention into guiding the future of the company. As part of that, I can understand why some people might say that things are changing, but I certainly don’t think this kind of change is a bad thing in any way.

I feel very fortunate to honestly be able to say that I love my job and the work that I do, and I hope that my colleagues begin to join me in sharing their positive work experiences. If you are considering working at NERI, I would encourage you to take these negative reviews with a grain of salt. NERI has been a wonderful place for me to start and grow my career, and I would encourage you to consider it as well.

Cons

There have certainly been up’s and down’s in the workflow (as I imagine is true of any contract organization) and general office attitude, and I think it is a reflection of how the company has changed over the past few years. There has been a lot of turnover in the past year, which other reviews have noted – but I have seen this kind of ebb and flow several times in the past six years, and I don’t think it is any long-term comment on the state of the company. With every outgoing group, it seems like the people who are unhappy leave (and seemingly write bad reviews), and are replaced with fresh, energized team members.

"Look Elsewhere"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Watertown, MA

I have been working at New England Research Institutes full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The employees I work with on the project teams

Cons

Pros

If you're reading these reviews because you're trying to decide whether to take a job at Neri, read carefully.

Accepting a job offer at this place after reading these reviews is like buying a defective product on Amazon even though every review says it is defective. The reviews don't lie. Don't work here.

People have been promoted into VP positions because the company is afraid to lose them NOT because it is deserving of the employee.

The executive management staff talk up a good game about how we are getting new projects when we are not and that the revenue stream is good when it is not.

Advice to Management

Time to bring someone in to take the company somewhere other than where it is.

"New building, Good Experience, Good Benefits but lacking..."

Current Employee - Research Associate in Watertown, MA
    Current Employee - Research Associate in Watertown, MA

Pros

Building, nice cubes, some opportunity to learn and interesting projects. It also smells nice and a decent place to start an entry level career.

Cons

Management don't care about employees, employees are in and out like a revolving door, come in work on a contract funded by the government. Micromanagement to the fullest extent allow no room for innovation or creativity. Leaders at this organization refuse to modernize and stick to traditional methods of work making. People are like zombies, no family culture, very very low retention.

Advice to Management

Have compassion for your people, we are the core of the business, we help you get paid so help us feel important.

"Great learning experience"

Former Employee - Clinical Data Manager in Cambridge, MA
    Former Employee - Clinical Data Manager in Cambridge, MA

I worked at New England Research Institutes full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Exposure and collaboration with various project/teams provided a great learning experience at a midsize level CRO. Great work/life balance. Enjoyed working with many smart and talented colleagues.

Cons

Stronger communication within project teams would result in more efficiency and less frustration. Better on boarding would help new employees quickly integrate and understand job function sooner.

Advice to Management

Make employees feel more appreciated and respected-that will go a long way.

"Career Longevity"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Watertown, MA

Pros

Pros depends on your area since statisticians are favored. If publishing is important to you, then statisticians have a good potential for obtaining publications here.

Cons

In general, employees are not valued by the owners/management. After 20yrs, the company moved to a new site. Upper management isolated themselves on the bottom floor and entitled themselves to convenient parking. All other employees are in cheap cubes on the upper floors and park across a street where there is no security. There is no potential for growth since employees are not valued. The survival of the company is dependent on government contracts with unhappy and controlling leaders that assume that they run the company, thus creating hypercritical attitudes from the staff across all clinical sites for their studies. The attrition rate and employee turnover rate is extremely high. Don't believe the hype they try to sell to you on the interview because lying is part of the culture. If offered employment and you feel like you have no other choices then make sure you add legal language to your employee contract about your employment status or you may suffer as others over many year of having your status changed from full to part time. The company is desperate for new clients business or it may not make it.

Advice to Management

Employees are your most important clients. Owners should retire since they are decades past their retirement age.

6. "nice company with good funding before 2010"

Former Employee - Programmer in Watertown, MA
    Former Employee - Programmer in Watertown, MA

I worked at New England Research Institutes full-time (More than a year)

Pros

nice people, nice work life balance

Cons

technology is kinda outdated, rely on Govt researching funding

Advice to Management

n/a

7. "It is a nice working environment"

I worked at New England Research Institutes full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Workload is not so much
    The projects are versatile
    The work schedule is flexible

Cons

Share some of the downsides of working at NERI

"Mixed bag"

Former Employee - Clinical Research Associate in Watertown, MA
    Former Employee - Clinical Research Associate in Watertown, MA

I worked at New England Research Institutes full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Bright, friendly, highly educated employees. Low stress. Flex time. Free parking. Public transportation stops right in front of building. More offices than cubicles.

Cons

Mostly NIH funded studies rather than biotech or pharma, so may have a problem moving to industry. Company is now seeking industry studies. Pay may be a little lower than average. No designated room to have lunch with colleagues.

"Mostly a good place to work if you can keep your head down and not draw too much attention."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Watertown, MA

I worked at New England Research Institutes full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Most areas of the company are pretty laid back. Employees have some flexibility to adjust work hours to accommodate family needs. Work is interesting and provides benefit to others.

Cons

The "laid back" nature of the company depends on who you work for. It's strange how people sometimes vanish from the company without explanation--it leads to rumours about they just didn't get along with the right people and were booted out. There's been a lot of turnover at the senior management level lately.

Advice to Management

Provide more information to employees about future work and direction of company. Owners are older, and it's not clear what the long-term plans are for the organization when they eventually retire.

10. "An excellent place to work where learning is the key motto"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at New England Research Institutes full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

All Master level researchers are placed under the guidance of a PhD level researcher so you learn a lot working on your research. A very academic atmosphere. Great benefits and pay. Good family values and very open to all cultures.

Cons

growth for MS level employees is limited.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you do.