New England Research Institutes Reviews | Glassdoor

Sonja M McKinlay

"Great Place to Grow"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Watertown, MA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Watertown, MA

I have been working at New England Research Institutes full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

First, let me just say that I’m not the type to write reviews… I read all the comments on sites like Yelp and Amazon but I rarely contribute, even if I’ve had an especially bad (or good) experience. After hearing whispers that there were some unsavory reviews on Glassdoor I decided to check it out, and I feel like it is worthwhile to take the time to share my thoughts. I have to say I am disappointed and strongly disagree with several of the comments on this site. I feel frustrated that my experiences are not echoed by my colleagues, and that my job feels somehow de-valued by these postings. Perhaps it’s just that only those with something negative to say take the time to write a review?

I started at NERI about six years ago, right out of college. It was my first office job, and I really didn’t know what I wanted to do long-term. If you had asked me then where I thought I’d be now, I certainly wouldn’t have expected to still be here– but I am honestly so glad that I have stayed… Over the past six years I have received numerous promotions, opportunities to grow including contributing to manuscripts and developing my own research interests, and have found myself in a very successful career as a project manager. Having seen the experiences and career trajectories of my friends and classmates in my Master’s program, I can confidently say that the opportunities for growth at NERI are unmatched, especially for early career employees. There is not a lot of “red tape” here, and if you are driven and motivated, it feels like the sky is the limit. I also really appreciate the support that NERI has shown in accommodating my school work, and the tuition reimbursement program ($2000/year) is awesome.

NERI is able to meet all of the things that matter most to me in a job – I feel like I am appreciated, that I am doing meaningful and interesting work, that there is room to grow, and that I can leave the office behind at the end of the day. I love the people that I work with – both our teams within NERI and our external collaborators on projects. I have had the opportunity to work with and learn from so many experts in their fields.

We have a new office space which is a huge perk – the gym and cafeteria make me feel like I’m working for a start-up (without the crazy stress and hours), and the cubicles are pretty large, bright, and airy (some people were very angry to lose their offices when we moved, but having always sat in a cube this really didn’t affect me). In the past few years they have also developed a more formalized leadership structure, and it feels like they are putting focused attention into guiding the future of the company. As part of that, I can understand why some people might say that things are changing, but I certainly don’t think this kind of change is a bad thing in any way.

I feel very fortunate to honestly be able to say that I love my job and the work that I do, and I hope that my colleagues begin to join me in sharing their positive work experiences. If you are considering working at NERI, I would encourage you to take these negative reviews with a grain of salt. NERI has been a wonderful place for me to start and grow my career, and I would encourage you to consider it as well.

Cons

There have certainly been up’s and down’s in the workflow (as I imagine is true of any contract organization) and general office attitude, and I think it is a reflection of how the company has changed over the past few years. There has been a lot of turnover in the past year, which other reviews have noted – but I have seen this kind of ebb and flow several times in the past six years, and I don’t think it is any long-term comment on the state of the company. With every outgoing group, it seems like the people who are unhappy leave (and seemingly write bad reviews), and are replaced with fresh, energized team members.

2. "An excellent place to work where learning is the key motto"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at New England Research Institutes full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

All Master level researchers are placed under the guidance of a PhD level researcher so you learn a lot working on your research. A very academic atmosphere. Great benefits and pay. Good family values and very open to all cultures.

Cons

growth for MS level employees is limited.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you do.

"Mostly a good place to work if you can keep your head down and not draw too much attention."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Watertown, MA

I worked at New England Research Institutes full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Most areas of the company are pretty laid back. Employees have some flexibility to adjust work hours to accommodate family needs. Work is interesting and provides benefit to others.

Cons

The "laid back" nature of the company depends on who you work for. It's strange how people sometimes vanish from the company without explanation--it leads to rumours about they just didn't get along with the right people and were booted out. There's been a lot of turnover at the senior management level lately.

Advice to Management

Provide more information to employees about future work and direction of company. Owners are older, and it's not clear what the long-term plans are for the organization when they eventually retire.

4. "Clinical Research"

Pros

Everyone was friendly and dedicated

Cons

it is a smaller organization

"Great learning experience"

Former Employee - Clinical Data Manager in Cambridge, MA
    Former Employee - Clinical Data Manager in Cambridge, MA

I worked at New England Research Institutes full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Exposure and collaboration with various project/teams provided a great learning experience at a midsize level CRO. Great work/life balance. Enjoyed working with many smart and talented colleagues.

Cons

Stronger communication within project teams would result in more efficiency and less frustration. Better on boarding would help new employees quickly integrate and understand job function sooner.

Advice to Management

Make employees feel more appreciated and respected-that will go a long way.

"Interesting job but difficult management"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Watertown, MA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Watertown, MA

Pros

Interesting people and research projects

Cons

The owners are not employee friendly

Advice to Management

Incorporate more employee feedback

"Mixed bag"

Former Employee - Clinical Research Associate in Watertown, MA
    Former Employee - Clinical Research Associate in Watertown, MA

I worked at New England Research Institutes full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Bright, friendly, highly educated employees. Low stress. Flex time. Free parking. Public transportation stops right in front of building. More offices than cubicles.

Cons

Mostly NIH funded studies rather than biotech or pharma, so may have a problem moving to industry. Company is now seeking industry studies. Pay may be a little lower than average. No designated room to have lunch with colleagues.

8. "It is a nice working environment"

I worked at New England Research Institutes full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Workload is not so much
    The projects are versatile
    The work schedule is flexible

Cons

Share some of the downsides of working at NERI

Advice to Management

9. "nice company with good funding before 2010"

Former Employee - Programmer in Watertown, MA
    Former Employee - Programmer in Watertown, MA

I worked at New England Research Institutes full-time (More than a year)

Pros

nice people, nice work life balance

Cons

technology is kinda outdated, rely on Govt researching funding

Advice to Management

n/a

"NERI senior management have no direction."

Pros

Relax and good place to learn if you are new to research field. Flexible schedule work best for worker with children.

Cons

Owners are getting old and have no real directions for grow but rely on people who have no expertise to lead a company. You can't let a blind to lead. Workers don't have much saying in the company anymore.

Advice to Management

Hire someone with a vision and let she/he run it without the interfere from owners.