New England Research Institutes Reviews | Glassdoor

New England Research Institutes President Sonja M McKinlay
Sonja M McKinlay

1. "operations"

I worked at New England Research Institutes full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The best part about NERI is the people. Not the people in management but the others who work on the projects. They are usually the most helpful and caring individuals that make it bearable to work at NERI. NERi has generous paid time off policy.

Cons

Unfortunately the same cannot be said of management. They are the most uncaring, unavailable and unprofessional individuals who treat staff with denigrating remarks in person as well as behind their backs to other staff members. It is the most uncaring company that you are just a cog and replaceable. HR and management have even asked current staff to place fake positive reviews to improve the comments on Glassdoor so not to scare future potential interviewers.

Advice to Management

To the owners, please remove the few members of upper management including HR who are the issue. If all the complaints and exit interviews that HR is hearing are swept under the rug, how can these issues be addressed and resolved? Not every staff member who is leaving is an issue.

2. "Project manager"

I have been working at New England Research Institutes full-time

Pros

Team approach; nice open space; good location; family owned business

Cons

Some people have been there 15 years and some 2 months. High turn over is an issue.

Advice to Management

Invest in employees that are worth keeping

"Great Place to Grow"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Watertown, MA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Watertown, MA

I have been working at New England Research Institutes full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

First, let me just say that I’m not the type to write reviews… I read all the comments on sites like Yelp and Amazon but I rarely contribute, even if I’ve had an especially bad (or good) experience. After hearing whispers that there were some unsavory reviews on Glassdoor I decided to check it out, and I feel like it is worthwhile to take the time to share my thoughts. I have to say I am disappointed and strongly disagree with several of the comments on this site. I feel frustrated that my experiences are not echoed by my colleagues, and that my job feels somehow de-valued by these postings. Perhaps it’s just that only those with something negative to say take the time to write a review?

I started at NERI about six years ago, right out of college. It was my first office job, and I really didn’t know what I wanted to do long-term. If you had asked me then where I thought I’d be now, I certainly wouldn’t have expected to still be here– but I am honestly so glad that I have stayed… Over the past six years I have received numerous promotions, opportunities to grow including contributing to manuscripts and developing my own research interests, and have found myself in a very successful career as a project manager. Having seen the experiences and career trajectories of my friends and classmates in my Master’s program, I can confidently say that the opportunities for growth at NERI are unmatched, especially for early career employees. There is not a lot of “red tape” here, and if you are driven and motivated, it feels like the sky is the limit. I also really appreciate the support that NERI has shown in accommodating my school work, and the tuition reimbursement program ($2000/year) is awesome.

NERI is able to meet all of the things that matter most to me in a job – I feel like I am appreciated, that I am doing meaningful and interesting work, that there is room to grow, and that I can leave the office behind at the end of the day. I love the people that I work with – both our teams within NERI and our external collaborators on projects. I have had the opportunity to work with and learn from so many experts in their fields.

We have a new office space which is a huge perk – the gym and cafeteria make me feel like I’m working for a start-up (without the crazy stress and hours), and the cubicles are pretty large, bright, and airy (some people were very angry to lose their offices when we moved, but having always sat in a cube this really didn’t affect me). In the past few years they have also developed a more formalized leadership structure, and it feels like they are putting focused attention into guiding the future of the company. As part of that, I can understand why some people might say that things are changing, but I certainly don’t think this kind of change is a bad thing in any way.

I feel very fortunate to honestly be able to say that I love my job and the work that I do, and I hope that my colleagues begin to join me in sharing their positive work experiences. If you are considering working at NERI, I would encourage you to take these negative reviews with a grain of salt. NERI has been a wonderful place for me to start and grow my career, and I would encourage you to consider it as well.

Cons

There have certainly been up’s and down’s in the workflow (as I imagine is true of any contract organization) and general office attitude, and I think it is a reflection of how the company has changed over the past few years. There has been a lot of turnover in the past year, which other reviews have noted – but I have seen this kind of ebb and flow several times in the past six years, and I don’t think it is any long-term comment on the state of the company. With every outgoing group, it seems like the people who are unhappy leave (and seemingly write bad reviews), and are replaced with fresh, energized team members.

"Moving in a positive direction"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Watertown, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Watertown, MA

Pros

I started at Neri approx 8 months ago as a contractor . At the time moral was low and there was considerable negativity - mainly from employees that had been with the company 10+ years. There was considerable turnover. Most of these employees were wanting the "good old days" , which in an organization can be detrimental to growth.

8 months later, I see a company that has turned the corner for the better. Now that the negative employees have moved on it has left a company where employees smile, laugh and the overall culture is back to "employees matter". Management believes in their employees and is flexible enough to see that change is necessary. I can honestly say that it is a great place to work.

Cons

Like any organization there will always things to improve upon, but Neri is moving in the right direction.

Advice to Management

Keep listening to the needs and desires of the employee. They are the backbone to a successful business.

"Good opportunities, rocky business"

I worked at New England Research Institutes full-time

Pros

Great colleagues, ability to publish, interesting projects

Cons

Business outlook is not looking so good

"Look elsewhere"

Pros

I agree with previous reviews. Best thing about this place is the facility.

Cons

Again, I agree with other reviewers. Employees are considered nothing more than cogs in a wheel. Replaceable and of little interest other than their productivity. Also, even professionally presented challenge to the opinion and decisions of leadership is not only unwelcome, but considered insubordinate.

"New building, Good Experience, Good Benefits but lacking..."

Current Employee - Research Associate in Watertown, MA
    Current Employee - Research Associate in Watertown, MA

Pros

Building, nice cubes, some opportunity to learn and interesting projects. It also smells nice and a decent place to start an entry level career.

Cons

Management don't care about employees, employees are in and out like a revolving door, come in work on a contract funded by the government. Micromanagement to the fullest extent allow no room for innovation or creativity. Leaders at this organization refuse to modernize and stick to traditional methods of work making. People are like zombies, no family culture, very very low retention.

Advice to Management

Have compassion for your people, we are the core of the business, we help you get paid so help us feel important.

"Great learning experience"

Former Employee - Clinical Data Manager in Cambridge, MA
    Former Employee - Clinical Data Manager in Cambridge, MA

I worked at New England Research Institutes full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Exposure and collaboration with various project/teams provided a great learning experience at a midsize level CRO. Great work/life balance. Enjoyed working with many smart and talented colleagues.

Cons

Stronger communication within project teams would result in more efficiency and less frustration. Better on boarding would help new employees quickly integrate and understand job function sooner.

Advice to Management

Make employees feel more appreciated and respected-that will go a long way.

"High turnover needs to be effectively addressed"

I worked at New England Research Institutes full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

An 80% schedule is allowed
    Parking
    Benefits good for a small company

Cons

Environment: feels negative, insecure, punitive, and humorless, resulting in stressed out employees and high turnover. Despite the public health mission there is no cultivation of a motivating, shared sense of purpose and little demonstrated appreciation of hard-working, talented employees. Instead, you're made to feel as if you're lucky to work there. If you decide to interview--to get a sense of job security, be sure to ask about the length of funding behind any position you are applying for, and ask about the 3 month employee "trial" period, especially if you and your family are moving from out of state.

Advice to Management

NERI has been around a long time and has been very successful, but things aren’t the same as they were even 5 years ago due to changes in the local job market, now spectacular for clinical research. Be competitive by demonstrating an ability to care, listen, connect and appreciate in order to build trust, enhance retention and improve the experience of your current employees.

"Okay stepping stone"

I worked at New England Research Institutes full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

New offices with large cubicles
    Some friendly staff
    good place to start career in clinical research as it seems they hire entry level.

Cons

Employee turnover. Lately people have been leaving faster than the jobs can be filled. Workload is piled on to those that remain making it a VERY stressful, rather hostile environment. There is not much communication between upper management and those that actually do the work on a day to day basis. People who are not VP, or Senior status are considered trivial and are even told that everyone is irreplaceable. This leads to staff feeling not appreciated. There is no sense of community as the only company gathering is a holiday pizza party where adults cut out and make paper snowflakes all in an effort to save money.

Advice to Management

Listen to all levels of employees. The assistants all the way up to directors have very valuable comments and suggestions. If people continue to leave, take a closer look as to who/what is the common denominator. Is it the director of a department?