New Flyer Reviews | Glassdoor

Paul Soubry Jr.

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "mechanical engineer"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Anniston, AL

I have been working at New Flyer full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

great benefits for family and experience

Cons

long hours occasionally especially on salary

Advice to Management

cut hours to forty or as close to fourty as you can

2. "We are more than a number"

Former Employee - Assembler in Saint Cloud, MN

I worked at New Flyer full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Welders and Paint make good money but Assembly Techs get much less

Cons

To much mandated OT. They never ask for volunteers first.

Advice to Management

Profit Sharing ,Respect for our Time outside of work.

3. "Good company to work for."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Anniston, AL

I have been working at New Flyer full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Go in early and get off early.

Cons

Pay is just ok not great.

4. "Org is too tall"

Current Employee - Materials in Saint Joseph, MN
    Current Employee - Materials in Saint Joseph, MN

I have been working at New Flyer (More than 5 years)

Pros

Growing company and building buses

Cons

Adding too many levels (Directors, Sr. V.P.'s, etc.)

5. "Decent place to work"

Former Employee - Team Lead in Anniston, AL
    Former Employee - Team Lead in Anniston, AL

I worked at New Flyer full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

good pay and room for advancement, benefits are good compared to other places in the area. The company as a whole is trying to get things in order in the facility. There's often company events with free food and t-shirts and stuff like that. The parent company and people not from this particular plant actually seem to care about the employees. There are a few really good compassionate and supportive supervisors there also.

Cons

high stress. majority of the people that work there are lazy and expect everything for nothing. Only a few of the management in this particular plant care about the employees. Loads of overtime but, it generates from around 80 percent of the employees there being horrible and having bad attitudes. everyone there wants a million dollars for doing one dollar worth of work and have a very entitled attitude.

Advice to Management

lay the hammer down on middle management "team lead, cell lead" and terminate the useless installers. Upper management here could make this place a place where people are lined-up outside of the gate wanting a job but, nothing will change there until everyone either adopts New Flyers culture and attitude or leaves/is fired. there's a very long way to go until it gets there. I feel bad for the upper management and wish them the best of luck getting everyone reading the same playbook. I don't envy their job.

6. "Horrible"

I worked at New Flyer full-time

Pros

Decent pay for what you do,But thats about it.

Cons

Place is an absolute sweatshop. The upper management doesnt give a single damn about any of there employees. They dont look at there employees as people but rather as just a number, long days and forced overtime ever weekend even if its not your shifts weekend to work they will find a way to make you have to come in. The management is a joke, very little training on what they should know or how to help defuse situations. Overall it pays fine but dont expect to have any sort of family life if you work for this company. Oh and upper management loves to mock employees and will simply ignore to answer any questions about better pay or better benefits.

Advice to Management

Dont forget who builds your product while you sit in an air conditioned office!

"Horrible"

Current Employee - Worker in Anniston, AL
    Current Employee - Worker in Anniston, AL

Pros

It's employment in a not so great economy.

Cons

It's a sweat shop. Horribly long hours. No respect at all for employees. Women make less money than men for the same work. They claim they promote from within but everyone already knows who has the job the minute its posted. Huge pay gap between employees and management. If you complain about anything, you get reminded that your getting air conditioning before summer.(something we already had and they took away. Who's to say they won't do it again?) Threatened with layoffs regularly. Constantly told if you don't like it, hot the road. My advice to you is if you have an interview, don't show up..... Run.

Advice to Management

Remember who does the work to earn your bonuses for you.

"Not to bad of a company"

Current Employee - Materials Coordinator in Saint Cloud, MN
    Current Employee - Materials Coordinator in Saint Cloud, MN

I have been working at New Flyer full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They do promote from within for some positions

Cons

Not the best at treating the employees.

9. "Management and HR are terrible"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Anniston, AL

I have been working at New Flyer full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

working for this company will show you the kind of companies you DON'T want to work for. Use this company as a quick learning experience and move on!!!

Cons

Management micro manages everything. You have to watch your back at all times because the engineers in the Winnipeg plant will stab you in the back.

Advice to Management

the morale of assembly is terrible in the Anniston plant..

"Long temp period, no time off, too much overtime, and bad management."

Current Employee - Assembler in Saint Cloud, MN
    Current Employee - Assembler in Saint Cloud, MN

I have been working at New Flyer full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Plenty of opportunity for overtime, clean work area, and it's unionized. Most the people that work here are fairly friendly.

Cons

There is WAY too much workload for the workday, causing a high amount of turnovers and way too much forced overtime. There are certain days where you will never be forced to work overtime, but it's only 3 or 4 days out of the month. Many days I work from 6:30am until 5pm, not 3pm when I'm supposed to get off. The middle management and most the engineers are very new and have absolutely no idea what they're doing. I have no opinion on the upper management. We have frequent part shortages, parts are moved around without telling any of the lower workers like myself. There is training on how to read blueprints and do basic math, but after that any real on the job training is done by your other coworkers. This doesn't work because now everyone is behind on line move because they have to make a working person take time off of his job to train another new guy. People are moved between different workstations a lot killing efficiency. Once you're barely trained in, management expects you to sometimes pull 2 hours a day of overtime with zero warning, and a lot of the time there's mandatory 8 hours of overtime on Saturdays. The line moves are literally always behind, even on Monday and Friday, the slow days.

Also, the union is mandatory. You have no opt-out option.

However, by far the worst aspect of working here is the points system. If you call in and miss Monday or Friday, you acquire 1.5 points. Tues, Wed, or Thur, you get 1 point. If you call in and are late before 30 minutes after your shift starts, you get .5 points. If you don't call in add another .5 points. After 6 points you get a written warning. After the warning, if you get even .5 points you get suspended. After getting suspended, during a 90 day period, if you get another just .5 points you're fired. As a temp I get zero vacation, personal, or sick days. You can get time off for medical things, but only with a schedule with HR at least a week early. The entire points system is extremely harsh on the employee and especially unfair to temps who have zero leeway, even if legitimately sick.

I can't see any promotions or benefits any time in my future, I've been a temp for 5+ months when it was supposed to be a 90 day period. I partially blame Doherty staffing as the temp agency.

In summary, the management is terrible, the staff is way overworked, there's too much mandatory overtime, and the points system is unforgiving and just plain mean.

Advice to Management

Either make less buses or hire more people. The daily workload is way too high and your managers and some engineers have literally no idea what they're doing. Hopefully I can find a new job soon with real opportunity.