New Flyer Reviews | Glassdoor

1. "Horrible"

Former Employee - Assembler in Saint Cloud, MN
    Former Employee - Assembler in Saint Cloud, MN

I worked at New Flyer full-time

Pros

Decent pay for what you do,But thats about it.

Cons

Place is an absolute sweatshop. The upper management doesnt give a single damn about any of there employees. They dont look at there employees as people but rather as just a number, long days and forced overtime ever weekend even if its not your shifts weekend to work they will find a way to make you have to come in. The management is a joke, very little training on what they should know or how to help defuse situations. Overall it pays fine but dont expect to have any sort of family life if you work for this company. Oh and upper management loves to mock employees and will simply ignore to answer any questions about better pay or better benefits.

Advice to Management

Dont forget who builds your product while you sit in an air conditioned office!

"Horrible"

Current Employee - Worker in Anniston, AL
    Current Employee - Worker in Anniston, AL

Pros

It's employment in a not so great economy.

Cons

It's a sweat shop. Horribly long hours. No respect at all for employees. Women make less money than men for the same work. They claim they promote from within but everyone already knows who has the job the minute its posted. Huge pay gap between employees and management. If you complain about anything, you get reminded that your getting air conditioning before summer.(something we already had and they took away. Who's to say they won't do it again?) Threatened with layoffs regularly. Constantly told if you don't like it, hot the road. My advice to you is if you have an interview, don't show up..... Run.

Advice to Management

Remember who does the work to earn your bonuses for you.

3. "Management and HR are terrible"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Anniston, AL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Anniston, AL

I have been working at New Flyer full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

working for this company will show you the kind of companies you DON'T want to work for. Use this company as a quick learning experience and move on!!!

Cons

Management micro manages everything. You have to watch your back at all times because the engineers in the Winnipeg plant will stab you in the back.

Advice to Management

the morale of assembly is terrible in the Anniston plant..

"Long temp period, no time off, too much overtime, and bad management."

Current Employee - Assembler in Saint Cloud, MN
    Current Employee - Assembler in Saint Cloud, MN

I have been working at New Flyer full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Plenty of opportunity for overtime, clean work area, and it's unionized. Most the people that work here are fairly friendly.

Cons

There is WAY too much workload for the workday, causing a high amount of turnovers and way too much forced overtime. There are certain days where you will never be forced to work overtime, but it's only 3 or 4 days out of the month. Many days I work from 6:30am until 5pm, not 3pm when I'm supposed to get off. The middle management and most the engineers are very new and have absolutely no idea what they're doing. I have no opinion on the upper management. We have frequent part shortages, parts are moved around without telling any of the lower workers like myself. There is training on how to read blueprints and do basic math, but after that any real on the job training is done by your other coworkers. This doesn't work because now everyone is behind on line move because they have to make a working person take time off of his job to train another new guy. People are moved between different workstations a lot killing efficiency. Once you're barely trained in, management expects you to sometimes pull 2 hours a day of overtime with zero warning, and a lot of the time there's mandatory 8 hours of overtime on Saturdays. The line moves are literally always behind, even on Monday and Friday, the slow days.

Also, the union is mandatory. You have no opt-out option.

However, by far the worst aspect of working here is the points system. If you call in and miss Monday or Friday, you acquire 1.5 points. Tues, Wed, or Thur, you get 1 point. If you call in and are late before 30 minutes after your shift starts, you get .5 points. If you don't call in add another .5 points. After 6 points you get a written warning. After the warning, if you get even .5 points you get suspended. After getting suspended, during a 90 day period, if you get another just .5 points you're fired. As a temp I get zero vacation, personal, or sick days. You can get time off for medical things, but only with a schedule with HR at least a week early. The entire points system is extremely harsh on the employee and especially unfair to temps who have zero leeway, even if legitimately sick.

I can't see any promotions or benefits any time in my future, I've been a temp for 5+ months when it was supposed to be a 90 day period. I partially blame Doherty staffing as the temp agency.

In summary, the management is terrible, the staff is way overworked, there's too much mandatory overtime, and the points system is unforgiving and just plain mean.

Advice to Management

Either make less buses or hire more people. The daily workload is way too high and your managers and some engineers have literally no idea what they're doing. Hopefully I can find a new job soon with real opportunity.

"Good employees, Management the worst"

Former Employee - Assembler in Crookston, MN
    Former Employee - Assembler in Crookston, MN

Pros

They have a diecent starting wage, an ok bennifit package. Unionized so you have some but not much protection for automatic firings

Cons

They say that they are a "family" company. but you spend more time at the factory than with your family. alot of times we left the house at 6 am and didnt return til after 6 pm. aside from lower management, it was mid-management on up felt you were viewed as 5 year olds or slaves that should be spat on, absolutely no respect was given by themthey have an employee handbook that makes it VERY easy for you to get fired. you work in unclimate controlled environment durring summer and you end up working on busses that were just brought in from sub 0 degree weather. and since I left the company, they have implimented many policies that basically strangles production durring the shifts.

Advice to Management

this may get edited or removed but your middle level floor management in crookston is the worst I have ever seen. your HR director is very incompitent and definitely not a people person.

"Why this place sucks to work at."

Former Employee - Prefer Not to Say. in Winnipeg, MB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Prefer Not to Say. in Winnipeg, MB (Canada)

Pros

Good place for an engineer to learn about automotive systems.

Cons

The stupidest thing about New Flyer is that they make salaried employees punch a clock and harass you if you are late. The second stupidest thing related to the first thing is that the work hours are 7 am to 3:30 pm. So if you punch in at 7:03 am you are considered late. Call me high maintenance or stuck up but telling salaried staff they are 3 minutes late is stupid. Also add to the fact that they didn't pay out overtime. So in summary, as a salaried employee at New Flyer Industries you punch clock, your insubordinate if you come in late, don't get paid overtime, and the wages were crap. Add to the fact that your in Winnipeg Canada and what New Flyer attracts is people who really need a job afraid to take risks and afraid to be creative who keep their jobs if they stay inside the box. I thank them that they did employ me, but I wasn't happy there.

Advice to Management

Get rid of your punching time clock/late policy for salaried staff.