New Hanover Regional Medical Center Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Jack Barto

Pros
  • It has great benefits and it is a good place to work (in 6 reviews)

• The people I worked with made the job (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Very short staffed but management refuses to create new positions to keep the hospital in the black (in 5 reviews)

• Low pay, Under staffed, no respect for employees (in 3 reviews)

"Paramedic"

Current Employee - Paramedic in Wilmington, NC
    Current Employee - Paramedic in Wilmington, NC

Pros

Strong leadership from CEO, with constant growth during recession. Plenty of available overtime. Low cost health insurance.

Cons

Low pay. Consistently short staffed, then told that our productivity goal is not being met.

Advice to Management

Hire more staff.

2. "Anonymous"

Former Employee - Anonymous in Wilmington, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Wilmington, NC

I worked at New Hanover Regional Medical Center full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

PTO, staff, benefits, hospital discounts, private building.

Cons

Some Directors are not capable of being leaders and are threatened by their staff who appear motivated for growth. These directors do not walk the walk; not leaders to look up to.

Advice to Management

Provide more supervision to Directors and hold them accountable for their actions.

3. "Emergency Dept: disastrous and dangerous"

Former Employee - Executive Director RN in Wilmington, NC
    Former Employee - Executive Director RN in Wilmington, NC

I worked at New Hanover Regional Medical Center full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Paid for classes and certs. Clinical staff has amazing team members. Lifelong friends made here on the battlefield. Great medical benefits

Cons

Disconnected management, do not communicate with employees. Continually change procedures to make it look good on paper while making it ever more dangerous for patients and your license. Huge turnover rate related to inept leadership. The clinical staff feels like a front line infantry with no communications to base. The feeling is the department is covering up and we were blatantly told to change chart times to meet standards. A sentinel event occurred a few years ago and the continuous changes to procedure have made it more and more dangerous. Staff have zero departmental support and fear for their jobs daily. The dept continues to have new grads come in and have one year nurses orient them: more danger.

Advice to Management

Clean house. Departmental management needs to go and when they run out of people for their witch hunts, the house of cards will fall. Hopefully, no more patients die.

5. "Education Specialist"

Current Employee - Education Specialist in Wilmington, NC
    Current Employee - Education Specialist in Wilmington, NC

I have been working at New Hanover Regional Medical Center full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

EFC, Benefits, Main employers in New Hanover County

Cons

Leadership accountability, 3% Annual increase, Little room for growth for non-clinical staff

"Operations Director"

Former Employee - Director of Operationa in Hampstead, NC
    Former Employee - Director of Operationa in Hampstead, NC

I worked at New Hanover Regional Medical Center full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Highly evolving organization. I genuinely loved coming to work everyday. I had a boss I respected it understood the growing pains of a new physician network. I found my boss (VP) to be highly ethical and very much in touch with the reality of patient satisfaction and exemplary care. I loved my job here but needed to explore the other side of healthcare from an IT / technology perspective. NHRMC gave me the tools and confidence to do that.

Cons

Not enough arms or legs for the volume of work. Although professional development was available I was often unable to take advantage of it just because I was so busy maintaining my day to day responsibilities.

"Certified Pharmacy Technician II"

Former Employee - Certified Pharmacy Technician in Wilmington, NC
    Former Employee - Certified Pharmacy Technician in Wilmington, NC

I worked at New Hanover Regional Medical Center (More than 10 years)

Pros

Excellent place to work! Great pay, great benefits, beautiful sprawling facility.

Cons

Scheduling conflicts, sometimes too many Chiefs in management.

Advice to Management

Happy employees are the back bone of the hospital. Just give an inch!

"Awful"

Former Employee - Certified Medical Assistant in Wilmington, NC
    Former Employee - Certified Medical Assistant in Wilmington, NC

I worked at New Hanover Regional Medical Center full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits were good, except this company is a monopoly so employees could only use the same company for expensive tests such as MRIs through their insurance

Cons

The company encouraged competition among co-workers which led to resentment

Advice to Management

None

"Nurse"

Current Employee - Nurse in Wilmington, NC
    Current Employee - Nurse in Wilmington, NC

I have been working at New Hanover Regional Medical Center full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Been here 15 years and wouldn't go anywhere else! And I have worked in other healthcare facilities... There's no comparison!
    The culture created over the years in this organization is phenomenal! People smile in the hallways and say hello to each other, there's a genuine feeling of team work for the common goal of providing the best care possible no matter what department you work for.

Cons

None! If there was any issue I feel wholeheartedly that the leadership would listen and actually take my concerns to heart.

"Staff RN"

Current Employee - Staff Nurse in Wilmington, NC
    Current Employee - Staff Nurse in Wilmington, NC

Pros

No layoffs in years (I've only been here 3 years). Incentives for working extra. Tuition assistance after only 90 days of employment. Nice employee gym. I've worked in 2 specialty departments and the transition from one to another was easy. Willing to hire with little experience and train on the job. Management was very friendly and down to earth in the two departments I have worked in. One department orientation was fantastically organized and the other was very unorganized and more "day to day" agenda or calendar.

Cons

Lower pay, short staffing, so will get asked to work non stop one week but then may float the next week due to low census. Have had some issues butting heads with MDs but that's probably anywhere. Scheduling issues (some department specific, others hospital wide) have caused experienced nurses to leave, resulting in less experienced nurses running the unit.

Advice to Management

Ensure that orientation for new hires/new grads is organized and supportive. Several times I was told the wrong times/days for classes and then was unaware of certifications that were necessary until the last minute and was forced to come in on my personal time that was unscheduled simply because the department didn't have a clear orientation program.

"Objective View"

Current Employee - Lean Project Lead II in Wilmington, NC
    Current Employee - Lean Project Lead II in Wilmington, NC

I have been working at New Hanover Regional Medical Center full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Senior leadership is driven and has gotten better about having a focus. Benefits cannot be beat!!!! :o) Employees care and are engaged in their work. Performance improvement has gotten better over the past 5 years as a direct result of the organization practicing Lean Methodology.

Cons

No diversity among upper management. About 7% of the leadership is non-Caucasian. Women in leadership is well represented and diversity among the the residency program is present. Opportunities for Black, Latino, Asian, and other races is not statistically divided or represented among the 200+ management and above positions, especially among the senior team.

Advice to Management

Build a strong succession and diversity program. Figure out how to attract or promote from within individuals of various ethnic and racial backgrounds.