New Hanover Regional Medical Center Reviews | Glassdoor

3.4
Jack Barto

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Consistently short staffed, then told that our productivity goal is not being met (in 6 reviews)

• Low pay, Under staffed, no respect for employees (in 4 reviews)

1. "Great place to be"

I have been working at New Hanover Regional Medical Center full-time

Pros

Salary and Benefits and positive culture.

Cons

None other than some depts short on nurses but they are fixing that.

"Short staffed for over two years."

Current Employee - CNA in Wilmington, NC
    Current Employee - CNA in Wilmington, NC

I have been working at New Hanover Regional Medical Center full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits; PDO add up quick, health/vision/eye insurance at a fair rate. Awesome team of clinical staff in all nursing departments.

Cons

Short staffed, heavy workload because of this. Constantly getting floated to other units/floors causing much frustration. Low pay compared to the cost of living. Small yearly raises (.01- .10 cents) Have to schedule your days off and PDO at a minimum of two months in advance. Impossible to travel during holidays, you either work Christmas Eve or Christmas for example.

3. "nurse"

Current Employee - Nurse
    Current Employee - Nurse

I have been working at New Hanover Regional Medical Center full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Lots of opportunities and great benefits.

Cons

You are not able to transfer to a different position within the network for 1 year.

4. "Anonymous"

I worked at New Hanover Regional Medical Center full-time

Pros

Great benefits for their employees

Cons

Parking is always a problem

"Company pretended to care about it's employees"

I worked at New Hanover Regional Medical Center full-time

Pros

Had some great co workers

Cons

NHRMC is constantly saying how important their employees are and their feedback, but their actions speak louder than their words. I would not recommend it.

6. "Patient Experience Representative"

Former Employee - Patient Experience Representative in Wilmington, NC
    Former Employee - Patient Experience Representative in Wilmington, NC

I worked at New Hanover Regional Medical Center full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Worked at Cape Fear Cancer Specialists. The majority of the people I worked with, having direct access to management 90% of the time. I had no problem speaking with management about my needs, and they were always very flexible. THE PATIENTS! The patients kept me going and are rockstars. Also had great access to the doctors and most are more than happy to educate and and answer questions regarding medical aspects of the disease.

Cons

Pay is not great for the education I had and was working towards. Management tended to do sneaky stuff like fire someone and pretend it never happened. The people that were fired when I was employed there had been there for over 10 years and helped grow the company, and it seemed they were cruelly weasled out of job slowly, almost trying to force them to quit. Again, I was not apart of those people, as I had to leave due to school and their inability to hire me on part time instead. But those were rumors and what I had seen.

Advice to Management

Employee satisfaction is just as important as patient satisfaction. These patients need continuation of care, and they hate when a staff member just disappears out of nowhere.

"Fast paced and tight deadlines"

Current Employee - Information Services in Wilmington, NC
    Current Employee - Information Services in Wilmington, NC

Pros

Patient safety is priority. Very supportive and compassionate manager. Employee fitness center and a philosophy of work-life balance. Great benefits!

Cons

Hiring new staff takes a long time, but projects and workload don't decrease. Expected to manage several priorities and tasks and meet tight deadlines, so work-life balance is difficult to achieve. Jack Barto retired and new CEO.

Advice to Management

New CEO and changes in senior level management, so priorities are shifting. Stop trying to do too much too fast. Stop the employee engagement survey and all the hype around it.

8. "RN"

I have been working at New Hanover Regional Medical Center full-time

Pros

They provide excellent cardiac services

Cons

Not enough pay for nurses

9. "Nurse"

I have been working at New Hanover Regional Medical Center full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good benefits. Offers day care but the hours only work for day shift employees. Hires new grads.

Cons

High turn over. Too much politics. Management sucks. Area sees a large amount of heroin/ substance abuse. Terrible company moral. Shift diff and base pay are lower than other hospitals but they get away with it because they are the only hospital in wilmington .

Advice to Management

Improve company moral. Pay better. Offer benefits for both shifts in day care should be 24 hours.

"Admin Assoc II"

Current Employee - Administrative Associate in Wilmington, NC
    Current Employee - Administrative Associate in Wilmington, NC

Pros

Management is awesome in some departments. "Team" is emphasized. Great benefits, including Great health insurance and many paid days off. The campus is nice and it's a very pleasant environment in which to work. Most employees are eager to help each other as well as patients and visitors.

Cons

Politics happen. That's the only con I've experienced.

Advice to Management

Keep up the positive environment and continue to coach up.