New Home Star Reviews

David Rice
Talk anonymously with Real Estate professionals

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
Cons
  • "Zero work life balance(in 9 reviews)
  • "1099 position and no benefits .(in 7 reviews)
  • "Managers / corporate all had the same cult(in 5 reviews)
  • "So as NHS are masters at taking a sliver of truth and making it the only truth take those 3 years and average the salary and it’s not great, and then factor in your last 6 months you work there you will loose 50% to 100% of you commissions it is very bad.(in 3 reviews)
  • "In busy seasons long hours(in 3 reviews)
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great company

Apr 27, 2022 - Sales Associate
    Business Outlook

Pros

New Home Star has a great atmosphere!

Cons

The new home sales industry is currently seeing a lot of delays.

New Home Star Response

Thank you for your review! We wanted to personally reach out to you to let you know that it is responses like yours that let us know we are moving in the right direction. We are extremely happy that you had a positive experience, and this assures us that we are making strides to achieve our number one core value of providing excellent careers for our people. Thank you for all that you do for us!

2. 1.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Lack of Integrity

May 3, 2022 - Sales Associate in Tampa, FL
    Business Outlook

Pros

I work with highly motivated, experienced and caring licensed real estate sales associates. The sales team is positive, hard working and always willing to help each other. If you have no experience and are looking for a job in New Home Sales, this company would be a great place to start, because no one with experience would tolerate the excessive work load and nominal commissions structure.

Cons

Sales associates’ commissions were cut by 50% after years of dedication to the company with little pay due to delayed closings. The outstanding commissions owed to sales representatives were a result of homes not closing in a timely manner. Instead of taking initiative to help their builder partners solve the problem of closing homes, New Home Star chose to take advantage of the opportunity by pocketing the excessive outstanding commissions owed to their loyal employees. Sales agents were financially exhausted at this point (we only get paid when homes close) and New Home Star used this to their advantage. Employees were cornered to sign a new employment agreement to switch to W2 at a nominal base salary plus a 50% reduced commissions structure; or their employments would be terminated by New Home Star.

5 people found this review helpful
  3. 3.0

A Place to Start, Not a Forever Job

Mar 31, 2022 - Corporate Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

-Exposure to a variety of projects - Work with a lot of nice, energetic people who are passionate about the company and their roles -Plenty of opportunity for collaboration across corporate teams and with sales people -Culture fosters comfort in socializing with higher execs -Fun work events -Modern office

Cons

-Compensation isn't competitive -Lack of trust and transparency from leadership -Limited growth opportunities -PTO is not flexible -leadership marks certain days as "black-out days", which means you can't use PTO (for example, right before and after holidays). I was also required to use PTO for doctor appointments. While I had some good times with New Home Star, there were so many policies and experiences that left a bad taste in my mouth. I have a lot of respect for the Corporate leaders, and I know that they care, but I dont know that they've really tried to improve. It seems that they are so in love with NHS that they've been blind to its weaknesses.

7 people found this review helpful

New Home Star Response

Thank you for providing us with your feedback. New Home Star takes every measure to ensure that every single employee has an excellent work experience with our organization on a daily basis. From the top-down, we only employ those that further our organizational goals and ensure that New Home Star continues to be an excellent place to work. In an effort to better understand your circumstances, concerns, recommendations, and outstanding questions, we encourage you to reach out to humanresources@newhomestar.com. We sincerely appreciate your response and apologize for any inconvenience you experienced while working for us.

4. 4.0
    Former Employee

Mixed feelings, but overall it's a good place to start

Feb 21, 2022 - Graphic Designer in Chicago, IL
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Growth opportunities - Working with different departments (HR, Finance, Operations, etc.) - Amazing Lead Graphic Designer - Good culture (Pre-covid, I can't speak to post-covid) - Clean and safe environment - Pet friendly, but mostly, dog friendly

Cons

- Low salary - Working after hours - After work parties felt more like an obligation - Poor planning on larger projects Despite what you will read about my experience below, I still stand by statement "overall it's a good place to start." And by start, please note I am referring to an intern position, maybe even a Jr Graphic Designer. If I am being 100% honest, this company broke my creative spirit. Ultimately, I left because I was burnt out, uninspired, disappointed, and most importantly, unappreciated. Even though I was told I was appreciated more thinks than I could count, actions spoke volumes over words. My final straw was when I had been asking for months, if not a full year, if I could work on more creative projects with the lead graphic designer, but instead was told I had to earn it (as if I hadn't done so for the past two years), and was given a project that nothing to do with creativity or design. When I realized that things weren't going to change for me, I left. I am still sadden that leaving felt like my only option, but in the end it was the right call.

2 people found this review helpful

New Home Star Response

Thank you so much for providing us with your detailed feedback! It is our understanding that, while you enjoyed certain aspects of working for New Home Star, you did not feel your experience overall was beneficial to you. We take great care to ensure our organizational goals are consistently met, and among the most important of those goals is providing excellent careers for our employees, however, we realize that this is not always the case. In an effort to avoid future occurrences and address outstanding complaints, we would like to learn more about your specific situation. Please reach out to humanresources@newhomestar.com with any concerns, issues, questions, complaints, and recommendations that you may have as a result of your time with our organization, and we will get back to you shortly to discuss your concerns more thoroughly.

5. 1.0
    Former Employee

DO NOT WORK FOR THIS COMPANY

May 3, 2022 - New Home Sales Consultant
    Business Outlook

Pros

Worked with some amazing sales agents

Cons

I am going to only list a few. I would be here for hours and hours if I listed it all. ZERO work life balance ZERO management support Told to sell, you sell and get Top sales and then get told “ You didn’t think you were going to actually make that money, did you? Yes, I worked my butt off. Hit turbo every quarter just for it to get smaller and smaller every quarter. This was the topper, I was owed over $400,000 and was backed into a corner to basically only receive 60% . Because they are greedy. I worked my butt off for over 2 years. No recognition, No bonuses. Just hard work and not compensated.

7 people found this review helpful

New Home Star Response

Thank you for your feedback. While it is our priority to provide an excellent work experience to our employees in all segments of operation, we understand that you do not feel this was achieved with your case specifically. We are continuously addressing organizational pain points, and we take all concerns very seriously. As such, we encourage you to reach out to humanresources@newhomestar.com with a detailed account of your experience — including feedback, concerns, or unanswered questions. We will follow up with you as soon as we best understand your situation.

6. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Avoid this company at all costs

May 19, 2022 - Senior Sales Representative
    Business Outlook

Pros

Might be a way to get your foot in the door but not much else

Cons

Inept management, poor pay structure

7. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 8 years

Great Company

Apr 4, 2022 - Corporate Office in Elmhurst, IL
    Business Outlook

Pros

There is a very strong team at the corporate office, and it is fun to work with great talent. Unlike other organizations, it does truly feel like we have a culture/team that cares about each other versus individuals that will say and do things to get ahead. It is a flexible work environment with about six weeks of paid time off every year (PTO/Vacation/MHD/Holidays), as well as a hybrid schedule.

Cons

There are growing pains as we expand in double digits every year. This includes support, which can improve during key seasons when we have to work overtime.

New Home Star Response

Thank you for your thoughtful review! We are happy to hear that you’re enjoying the corporate office. New Home Star strives to achieve our number one core value of providing excellent careers for our people, and it’s clear to us that the corporate environment specifically contributed most to your positive experience. Thank you for all that you do!

8. 1.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Lack of Accountability

May 10, 2022 - Sales Consultant in Tampa, FL
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great sales team when first hired; however, currently experiencing a mass exodus due to: 50% cut in commissions and lack of support from management.

Cons

Unrealistic pay structure for the excessive workload required of sales associates. Zero work-life balance.

2 people found this review helpful
  9. 2.0

Corporate takes the backseat

Apr 19, 2022 - Marketing in Elmhurst, IL
    Business Outlook

Pros

Somehow New Home Star hires great people which makes it more tolerable to get through the hard times.

Cons

The salary takes the cake. Lack of transparency, accountability, professionalism, and communication from “leadership”, if we want to call it that. Fake feedback requests with no follow through.

8 people found this review helpful

New Home Star Response

Thank you for providing us with your feedback! It is our understanding that, while you enjoyed certain aspects of working for New Home Star, you did not feel your experience overall was beneficial to you. We take great care to ensure our organizational goals are consistently met, and among the most important of those goals is providing excellent careers for our employees. However, we realize that this is not always the case. In an effort to avoid future occurrences and address outstanding complaints, we would like to learn more about your specific situation. Please reach out to humanresources@newhomestar.com with any concerns, issues, questions, and feedback that you may have as a result of your time with our organization, and we will get back to you shortly to discuss your concerns more thoroughly.

10. 4.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Great stepping stone opportunity

Dec 7, 2021 - Corporate Office Employee in Elmhurst, IL
    Business Outlook

Pros

Working at the corporate office had a lot of perks such as flexible scheduling, generous time away from the office for holidays and vacation, corporate outings, stocked kitchen and a great corporate culture. The company as a whole offered the ability to get your hands into a lot of different areas and you'd very rarely be told 'no' if you expressed interest in learning more about a different department or role within the company. The company truly celebrated success and you always felt like you were part of a team and family.

Cons

While the company preaches development opportunities and excellent careers, those were few and far between at the corporate office as compared to the field sales team. The sales team had legitimate mentorship and leadership development programs to help an entry level sales agent get more out of their career and move into a management role while the corporate office was often times left behind. Additionally, the compensation structure across the entire company, but specifically at the corporate office, is severely behind the times.

Continue reading
    Be the first to find this review helpful
Viewing 1 - 10 of 209 Reviews

New Home Star Reviews FAQs

New Home Star has an overall rating of 3.8 out of 5, based on over 233 reviews left anonymously by employees. 72% of employees would recommend working at New Home Star to a friend and 65% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has decreased by -14% over the last 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, New Home Star employees rate their compensation and benefits as 3.5 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at New Home Star. This rating has decreased by -19% over the last 12 months.

72% of New Home Star employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated New Home Star 3.6 out of 5 for work life balance, 3.9 for culture and values and 4.0 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at New Home Star to be management, senior leadership, career development and the cons to be compensation, benefits.

Popular Careers with New Home Star Job Seekers