New Jersey Division of Child Protection and Permanency Reviews | Glassdoor

3.3
Kimberly Ricketts

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Part-B Writer"

I have been working at New Jersey Division of Child Protection and Permanency full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very nice people, good atmosphere

Cons

Alot if paper work and tedious work

2. "Family Service Specialist"

Current Employee - Family Service Specialist in Paramus, NJ
    Current Employee - Family Service Specialist in Paramus, NJ

I have been working at New Jersey Division of Child Protection and Permanency full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Working with the families and community partners can be a rewarding experience; some of the highest salaries in social work in the State of New Jersey; new experiences every day

Cons

Salary has not changed in several years, high demands, long hours, mentally exhausting, lack of staff

Advice to Management

More support is needed for staff

3. "Adolescent Specialist"

Current Employee - Family Services Specialist II in Plainfield, NJ
    Current Employee - Family Services Specialist II in Plainfield, NJ

I have been working at New Jersey Division of Child Protection and Permanency full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Assure the safety and well being of children. Help families in Need. Link families with services in their communities. Team with families and their support system. Make children lives better. And assure that youth transition into adulthood with necessary life skills.

Cons

Salary, management, and upward mobility. Stress and health issues cause by trauma from work. Intensity and seriousness of work. Stressful working environment.Risking life on a daily basis.

Advice to Management

Focus less on numbers and more on family's needs

4. "Ger the experience and leave"

Current Employee - Family Service Specialist
    Current Employee - Family Service Specialist

Pros

Engaging families, pay does increase the longer ur there, u get to interact directly with families and help make a difference , paid overtime, benefits and sick time, plus if i dont want to come no one asks y. Good place to get ur experience but dont stay

Cons

Supervisors are on a power trip and lack respect
    Stressful and expects the job to be ur life
    Office practice is ridiculous

5. "Family service specialist"

I worked at New Jersey Division of Child Protection and Permanency full-time

Pros

Benefits are great, hourly wage is great, you get a yearly raise after 11 years I was making 73k

Cons

Get burned out quick , lots of multi tasking

6. "Stressful"

Pros

Loved my coworkers and had a great supervisor.

Cons

Extremely time consuming and a lot of safety risks for workers.

7. "Never a dull moment"

Pros

Fast paced, great learning experience, great benefits, good pay and time off

Cons

negative public perception and internal politics

8. "Don't stay! Run as quick as you can!"

Former Employee - Family Service Specialist in Atlantic City, NJ
    Former Employee - Family Service Specialist in Atlantic City, NJ

I worked at New Jersey Division of Child Protection and Permanency full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great Benefits! Weekends off!

Cons

Unsafe Working Conditions! Especially Atlantic City Office! Workers get beat up and there are a lot of gun shots! LOM is not fair and doesn't care about workers or families.

Advice to Management

Look into employee complaints! There is a lot happening and it puts children at risk! Random drug tests are needed for State Workers!

9. "I only Intern there for College"

Pros

The purpose of the job is Great

Cons

Its very intense when it come to dealing with certain situations

10. "Grow and go job"

Former Employee - Nurse in Cherry Hill, NJ
    Former Employee - Nurse in Cherry Hill, NJ

I worked at New Jersey Division of Child Protection and Permanency full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I was able to complete my graduate degree and now I am receiving offers for higher level positions outside of DYFS/DCP&P.
    I will be leaving this position soon.

Cons

The pay for nurses called HCCMs, CNCs, and RNAs is low for all the work and risk you take with your license. If you are a nurse and plan to work for Rutgers as a contracted employee for DYFS/DCP&P plan on a deep pay cut. Division supervisors say they want to work and have communication with you but it is not true. People have their own agendas and it has nothing to do with children. Trenton keeps adding new measures that really don't aid in an employee's ability to keep children safe, just more busy work. The Division is reactionary and they do not look at prevention the act of prevention as a nurse does. The Division is currently making changes to make the nurses' role more like a caseworker and that is not nursing and it is not good. Nurses need to be able to work as nurses and not be delegated work the DYFS/DCP&P thinks a nurse can do. Nurses have a license and we practice within our scope of practice and when we work outside that scope it is called malpractice and DYFS/DCP&P will often ask you as a nurse to operate outside your scope of practice. I have explained why I cannot do so requested tasks and I am treated as if I am difficult by Division supervision.

Advice to Management

Division supervisors do not use intimidation tactics or threats. Do not lie or withhold pertinent health information from the nurses until there is a crisis.

Division supervisors be proactive and not reactionary .

Division supervisors the time to act is when there is a "red Flag" not when the child is in crisis.