New Oasis International Education Reviews | Glassdoor

New Oasis International Education Reviews

Updated Oct 11, 2019

Found 37 reviews

2.4
New Oasis International Education CEO Sean Chen (no image)
Sean Chen
  1. "Great Company"

I worked at New Oasis International Education part-time

Pros

New Oasis is growing by leaps and bounds and has a great vision for the future. With this type of growth - there are always growing pains, but the company is constantly working to over come them. The job has seasons so there are times where the work is greater and more strenuous. But there are also times when you are much more relaxed.

Cons

I really do not have any cons to list.

Advice to Management

Continue to be mindful of employee work load, keep pushing to become an industry leader.

New Oasis International Education2019-03-21
  2. "Former employee"

I worked at New Oasis International Education full-time

Pros

It's hard to think about any pros. All the bad reviews are real.

Cons

The company doesn't value its employees. The best advice for any one who wants to enter into international education, don't work in this company. The salaries are low but the company expects you to work overtime not only during the weekdays but also weekends. You need to stand by for emergency calls from the upper management for getting no compensation or acknowledgment. No incentive. The company cannot even... keep its own promise of distributing employee bonus on time. On top of it, it delayed the annual performance review a few times so you ended up getting a little increase after working 14 months. Obviously no apology from the company except that you were told it's the requirement from operations. The management is terrible! Don't see it will change anytime soon cause it's all about the people when comes to management! The upper leadership is inefficient even they are paid the most in the company. The middle level management is inefficient and has no clue how to execute the leadership's ideas. What they do is purposely asking their employees to do bunch of meaningless tasks and redo them after a while so they can make sure the employees' time are fully wasted during the low season. No change after employees share their thoughts and suggestions. For the leadership, it's all about cheap labor. They cut the pay and laid off people. They won't motivate their employees nor do they care the employee's career development. It packages itself as a foreign employee friendly company but in reality, it's not. Pretty much all the negative work experience you can name, you will have it here. If you want to have some stability in your job, a clear career ladder, some work life balance, and enough money to pay your bills, this is not the company you want to invest your time.

Advice to Management

Hire good people and treat them well

New Oasis International Education2019-10-12

"No Growth"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Herndon, VA

I worked at New Oasis International Education full-time for more than a year

Pros

Open minded but thats about it.

Cons

No Growth, pay not that great, probably not the best company to work for if you're looking for a career. Only those who are already at top stays at top. All the actual hard workers gets less than minimum of what people get in D.C. Those who micromanages makes 5x more than almost everyone. CEO lowers his salary and increases only the head of each department.

Advice to Management

Build a real infastructure

New Oasis International Education2019-09-10

"Nepotism at its finest"

Former Employee - Manager in Herndon, VA

I worked at New Oasis International Education full-time for more than a year

Pros

Get in, get out . Birthday cake ( albeit sugar cake)

Cons

It’s quite clear from the reviews, most employees are not happy or content . Limited growth opportunity and very low salary ranges for the area. If you are in management there are certainly perks- plenty of time off for weddings, child care , personal matters. But if you are in management , you are sold short of most of the perks . This is a highly different cultural company with many people requiring work visas . A... big culture of arrogance but unclear why? Worked at many companies before with highly qualified and intelligent management , cannot same the same

Advice to Management

Continuing Ed, treat others as you are treated . Nepotism never works ultimately

New Oasis International Education2019-06-02

"Here we go again with the fake reviews!"

Former Employee - Academic

I worked at New Oasis International Education full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great co-workers and great mission about international education!

Cons

From what I've seen and experienced, the company will be out of business soon! Keep laying off people, giving more work to others in the department, and no work/life balance. They tend to brow-beat all employees. Posting fake reviews doesn't help the situation!

New Oasis International Education2019-03-21
  6. "A great place to work"

Former Employee - Academic Counselor

I worked at New Oasis International Education full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great environment Useful guidance from mentor Good work and life balance

Cons

No cons for me, the company is very good.

New Oasis International Education2019-02-14

"Overworked and Underpaid"

Current Employee - Program Coordinator

I have been working at New Oasis International Education full-time for more than a year

Pros

My fellow coordinators and academic counselors are the best! Flexible scheduling and lots of opportunities to learn more about Chinese culture. Chances for fun events with students.

Cons

Management is very untrustworthy and their actions do not reflect their words. Will often talk about being open to feedback, but then turn around and say "suck it up" because everything is driven by the market in China. Flexible scheduling = working 24/7, even during PTO you're expected to be on call. You're expected to make everyone happy: students, parents, host families, the schools, etc. But often times those... are conflicting and coordinators take the blame. I've worked in high stress and customer service based jobs prior, but never felt like my job was so volatile. It can be very fun but sadly the stressors are severe and frequently outweigh the positives. Employee turn over is extremely high in my role, often times not lasting more than a year. I've worked a year and a half at this point and am one of the more experienced employees in my state.

Advice to Management

Protect your coordinators! They are the most necessary position in the company but the vast majority are unsatisfied with their treatment. Pay them more and assign fewer students to each coordinator's caseload. They'll be happier and will be able to better provide services to students and host families making recruitment for both easier in the future.

New Oasis International Education2019-02-13

"Soon to be going out of business"

I worked at New Oasis International Education full-time for more than a year

Pros

ability to work from home

Cons

Extremely unreliable and unpredictable: I started with the company at full time. Within 4 months I was down to 15 hours. My last couple of months I was down to 7 hours. You only get paid for how many international chinese students your school enrolls. The market for international students is saturated and fewer and fewer are not only not coming to the United States, they aren't coming to New Oasis which has a... horrible reputation in China among the players who operate behind the scenes and direct the kids to where to apply. I needed a full time job, but within a year was down to 6 (!) because New Oasis couldn't get enough students to replace our graduating seniors. This says nothing about kids who transfer out of new oasis and go to other agencies who are cheaper and more effective. Another con is what others have posted here - low pay for what you're required to do: keep New Oasis happy, Chinese kids out of trouble, host families happy and satisfied with their placement, the administration at the school happy, and the natural parents happy. Needless to say - this rarely happens simultaneously and more often than not, someone is very upset with you. My main con against New Oasis is their either ignorance or deception about the seriousness of their viability as a company. They are losing more and more students each year and not replacing the graduating seniors. Eventually the program will cease to exist. Do the research - the statistics are out there and they aren't favorable to poorly run agencies like New Oasis: Chinese kids are simply going elsewhere to their education. Do not rely on this company for anything!

New Oasis International Education2019-02-20

"Program and Academic Coordinator"

I worked at New Oasis International Education full-time for less than a year

Pros

I worked for New Oasis for nearly 8 months as an Academic and Program Coordinator. Working with the two partnered high schools was a great experience. I was able to form strong working relationships with some of the faculty and staff who always had the international students' interest at heart. They were always welcoming and accommodating and made you feel part of the school system. I also formed strong... relationships with the host families, each of whom graciously welcomed me into their homes and cared significantly about the international student's well being. I was in constant contact with them and formed a level of trust that was needed to ensure the safety and success of the students. Lastly (and not least), I loved working and interacting with the international students. Though they can be challenging at times, I always kept in mind the difficulties they were facing with acclimating to a new country, new language, new home life, and a new educational system. For me, it was imperative to make sure the students were in good hands and that they were excelling both in their academic and personal lives. Though there were moments of difficulty, they were overall great to work with and I certainly learned a lot from them. If you work for this organization, always remember to listen to both sides of any dispute between host families and the students. Never take a side! I was provided me with an ample amount of autonomy and was able to spearhead many marketing and outreach initiatives on my own. My advice....make this experience your own. Form healthy, professional, effective relationships with the students and the high schools in your own way. Do not get discouraged if tempers flare from the students (it's inevitable). Always remember you are dealing with young, teenaged students whose homes are on the other side of the world. They are going through a lot, and the stress and fear of that may come out in various ways. Be patient!

Cons

My position was taken over by another company NOIE had acquired and I was left without a job. I was very disappointed with the way NOIE handled this. I was understanding that a business decision had been made (because keep in mind, in the end, this is all about money). About a month before I was informed I was being let go, I had learned my direct report was laid off. At that time, I was informed I had a new... direct report who would be contacting me to set up a meeting. I never had a formal meeting with the new direct report for nearly ONE MONTH. I received two WeChat texts from the direct report asking me how things were going, however, no phone meeting or video conference was ever arranged. I was left in the dark. I finally met the new direct report (again one month after my former direct report was let go) who informed me of the recent acquisition and that my position no longer existed. At the meeting, there were no documents (exit agreement etc.) or any information regarding severance. I had to plea the company for any type of severance given that this was two weeks before the holidays and that I was NOT being let go due to my work performance. They gave me an extra two weeks’ pay, only because I put up a bit of a stink. Therefore, be careful. Keep in mind what is happening both politically and economically both in the US and China before agreeing to work at NOIE. Also, if you are in a situation where you are being let go, demand to see an exit agreement immediately, make sure an HR representative is present, consult with an employment lawyer, and fight for a severance package. They could potentially let you go at a drop of a hat, and not in the most professional manner. If you are looking to expand your career in international education, I would look elsewhere. The amount of money the Chinese parents pay for this program should provide NOIE employees and host-parents with more money. The pay is lousy and unfortunately, I really

Advice to Management

Top management needs training on what is needed before they let go of an employee. I believe they should consult with HR prior to lay offs and be prepared for questions.

New Oasis International Education2019-01-09

"Horrible Company - Do Not Work Here!"

Current Employee - Administrative

Pros

Company provides decent health benefits.

Cons

Culture is unprofessional and managers have no clue on how to supervise or manage people. Expectations are unreasonable and more demands are added to your work load on a consistent basis. Sr. Management does not care about their employees, nor the students and families they serve. It's all about money here and who you have ties to in Sr. Management.

New Oasis International Education2019-01-24