New Penn Motor Express Reviews
37% would recommend to a friend
(111 total reviews)
23% approve of CEO
Top Review Highlights by Sentiment
Excerpts from user reviews, not authored by Glassdoor
- "Good pay and home everyday" (in 14 reviews)
- "Great people to work with!" (in 7 reviews)
- "good benefits.......pay is good but haven't gotten a raise in 5 years" (in 7 reviews)
- "Good for a side job for a little bit of extra money aside from a primary income or to do while attending school." (in 3 reviews)
- "Management is horrible not worth it" (in 12 reviews)
- "No training." (in 4 reviews)
- "Failing equipment and low morale with no mend in sight." (in 4 reviews)
- "Senior management is disengaged and incompetent." (in 2 reviews)
- "My manager made the comment 'well don't they have a dad or something to do it.'" (in 2 reviews)
Ratings by Demographics
This rating reflects the overall rating of New Penn Motor Express and is not affected by filters.
Found 111 of over 113 reviews
Updated Oct 15, 2023
- Most Recent
- Highest Rating
- Lowest Rating
- 3.0Aug 3, 2023MechanicFormer Employee, more than 5 yearsCamp Hill, PA
New Penn was a good employer until Yellow Freight took over.
Yellow Freight bought New Penn and has now gone out of business, taking several smaller companies it bought with it into oblivion.
- 4.0Sep 23, 2022Utility DriverCurrent Employee, less than 1 yearTrenton, NJ
Plenty of overtime, up to 14 hrs with dock work 8 to 12 hour shifts Overtime after 8 hours daily Benefits are covered by the union White trucks are 2016 and up Not many manual transmissions Union based contracts Change bids every 3 months Seniority in bids and company Road drivers sleep in hotels for resets A lot of teamwork
Higher pay on overnights Working the dock before going on the road Lose seniority when switching bids Forklifts at some terminals are horrible All day cabs A lot of old trailers Stripping trailers can be a pain Have to work minimum 11 hours to make good pay Low pay for training Benefits after 90 days Not a lot of dock space Need to have doubles/triples endorsement Rules pushed when want to Docks are outdated Floor plan too small for amount of freight Dock doors not organized right at some terminals Trailers don’t ride straight down the highway No 10 speed manual truck option at most terminals Not many twin screws (dual axle) tractors Tractors governed at 63 mph Some tractors don’t have am/fm radios Pay not the same at all terminals Pay lower than industry, unless overtime
New Penn Motor Express Reviews FAQs
New Penn Motor Express has an overall rating of 3.2 out of 5, based on over 113 reviews left anonymously by employees. 37% of employees would recommend working at New Penn Motor Express to a friend and 20% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has improved by 3% over the last 12 months.
37% of New Penn Motor Express employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated New Penn Motor Express 2.9 out of 5 for work life balance, 2.8 for culture and values and 2.8 for career opportunities.