New Relic Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
New Relic CEO and Founder Lew Cirne
Lew Cirne

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great work / life balance - work as hard as you need, to be as successful as you want to be (in 24 reviews)

• Fantastic co-workers, great office and an ample supply of challenging work (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Still experiencing some growing pains (in 26 reviews)

• isolation outside San Francisco, small/medium size biz sales people in SF blowing through quotas while enterprise reps are struggling badly (in 8 reviews)

"Unfortunate sequence of circular events"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Portland, OR

I have been working at New Relic full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The product is good and the users love us. It's intuitive and easy to use. The people here are great and we band together to make sure we are taken care of. We work hard and everyone contributes to the product in ways we can see in production.

Cons

There has been systematic discrimination of women engineers and some people in the LGBT++ community. People who are fully qualified and meet the requirements for promotions are passed over. Others have raised issues where it is clear their manager is being discriminatory and they are not listened to. It is very sad. We have such a broad spectrum of people working in this office, but we predominately have white male leaders. I've(we've) brought this up to HR multiple times and our HR business associate in the office doesn't listen to us. She doesn't actually seem to help solve anything in our office. We have nowhere to turn. We've brought the issues up in open forums and also in smaller dialogues with our HR business associate as well as leadership and we don't seem to make any progress. I have seen multiple examples of questionable ethics related to terminations and promotions - again - brought up to HR business associate with no visible actions.

Advice to Management

Our people are better than this and we need to see action and commitment from the top.

New Relic Response

Sep 11, 2017 – Chief People Officer

First, I’d like to say thank you for your honest feedback. We take this type of feedback very seriously and I am obviously disheartened to hear of this.

My main concern is that you feel that you... More

"Thank You for Ruining a Good Thing"

I worked at New Relic full-time

Pros

Thank you New Relic for gorgeous views of the Bay Bridge and the sweet barista.

Cons

Thank you new marketing leadership for modeling exactly what should be avoided. For turning what used to be good times as a team to a miserable time in the office. For ripping out the essence of New Relic's data nerd and turning it into...baseball. For proposing far-fetched goals when strategies are never coherent. For hardly being present and therefore never truly connecting with the department. For going over pointless survey results and hardly being accountable. For making us fill out team VGMOM's but denying all career development opportunities I had. For putting heavy investments in a major sports partnership and globally expanding the user conference but having little regard for team advocacy. And lastly, for defining what insincere leadership looks like. Consider this a workplace survey response.

Advice to Management

Company core values are meaningless when leaders don't act on them.

"Worst Employment Experience"

I worked at New Relic full-time

Pros

Free snacks, cool office space, bike parking, good views

Cons

Terrible management, limited opportunities, a lot of entitled people

Advice to Management

Focus on management training for your managers. Lead by example. Not everyone is a "nerd".

"Avoid it totally unless you don't have any job"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at New Relic full-time (More than a year)

Pros

full stack of chocolate bars and coffee available in cafeteria.

Cons

Middle management is just horrible. you will see typical startup environment. Highly skilled workers are reporting to dump managers so there is always dissatisfaction while doing work. if you are technically smart then look for something else but avoid this company. There is very high attrition rate.

Advice to Management

Middle management need to be replaced with techie managers.

"Whip cracking dinosaurs with pleated pants - Enterprise Account Executive"

Former Employee - Senior Enterprise Sales in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Enterprise Sales in San Francisco, CA

I worked at New Relic full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The CEO is awesome, product management is strong, some of the best sales engineers I have ever worked with in my career.

Cons

Hail the Oracle dinosaurs from the early 2000's at New Relic. This place is full of them. Washed up leadership that has the management style of "my way or the highway". Most of them don't have any industry APM experience and run their business from behind a spreadsheet. Looking to get promoted? No chance, these leaders hire their old network from outside the company. Enterprise Field sales has no voice and gets treated like a 3rd class citizen from Finance and Legal. No one is hitting their numbers and no one is making any big money here. Career development is non existent. The main reason for that is the leadership doesn't know how to do it. They are over hiring with no real strategy on execution. The turn over at this company is like nothing I have ever seen. Leadership thinks that they are hiring the wrong talent pool for sales executives and blames the numbers on this. Ahh.. don't they realize they were the one that hired these people in the first place? Legal and finance killed deals for me which is unexpectable.

Advice to Management

Its time for some people to go. There still is time to repair the culture that once was.

"if you can work somewhere else then DO IT. If you are unemployable and New Relic offers you a job then take it"

I worked at New Relic full-time

Pros

you will be able to learn a few things here.

Cons

you will not make money and you will be lied to

"Toxic Management"

I have been working at New Relic full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good snacks and coffee, nice modern office and the option to work from home is a plus. Downtown office location is pretty sweet.

Cons

Toxic bully managers abound and aren't kept in check by upper management, who seems only concerned with the bottom line. Although the company values say that the work culture is connected and enlightened, it is actually more often run by fear and shaming others if they speak up about maltreatment by managers. Women and minorities face multiple obstacles to promotion and end up leaving the company to pursue other jobs.

Advice to Management

When employees say they are struggling under a particular manager, hear them out and give them the option to transfer to a new manager. If you ignore multiple complaints about a particular manager, and have had a high turnover on their team, maybe it's time to try a new manager.

New Relic Response

Mar 1, 2017 – Chief People Officer

Thank you for your post. I am new to the New Relic family, an organization I already love after only a few weeks, and I'm disheartened to hear of your experience.

As our CEO Lew Cirne shared in an... More

"Stay Away"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at New Relic (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some very nice people here who are being forced to work for old-school managers from prehistoric firms. Free coffee and location are nice.

Cons

Where do I start? The new President seems only interested taking over as CEO and running the place like an Oracle. The managers being hired and promoted here are serious bullies with questionable ethics. This used to be a great place, but not anymore: It went downhill really fast.

Advice to Management

You really need to get back to basics and start firing the bullies, or you won't have much company left. Your HR department is a joke; none of the senior leaders there care about employees, and if someone has a problem, they get fired. Wake up the CEO, who seems to have fallen asleep at the wheel. This place is in big trouble if you don't start treating people better. You claim to have values, but your actions are almost always completely contrary to you values statements.

"Not a place for enterprise sales people"

Current Employee - Enterprise Account Executive
    Current Employee - Enterprise Account Executive

I have been working at New Relic full-time

Pros

Lew (CEO) and the product engineering teams are fantastic The products are great and work as advertised. Customers genuinely like the software.

Cons

Hardly anyone is hitting their number/OTE. Only a few AEs overachieve out of the entire enterprise team every QRT.

The sales culture is really poor and the turnover is extremely high. The administrative burden on AEs is very high.

Advice to Management

Lew get back involved in the customer facing org, The leadership over their is killing the company you love so much.

"A downward spiral"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

The best part of New Relic is the downtown San Francisco office location and great friendships built with employees across the world. Solid Engineering leaders and teams!

Cons

Do your research! New Relic WAS once a great company with a solid reputation. The company ratings and engagement levels are going South, just like the culture quickly has. From a tyrannically led Sales & Marketing org solely focused on pointing fingers, with significant levels of attrition - to the stale and outdated HR function that is the laughing stock of the company.

Advice to Management

First bit of advice would be to look in the mirror and accept responsibility and accountability for the low levels of engagement and high levels of dissatisfaction across the company.