New School Reviews | Glassdoor

New School President David E. Van Zandt
David E. Van Zandt

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Unlike Part-Time Faculty which rights are protected by their union; Full-time faculty is at the mercy of the higher administration (in 8 reviews)

• Low pay, disorganized upper management, old buildings (in 14 reviews)

1. "Great Employer"

Current Employee - Program Associate in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Program Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at New School full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The New School provides competitive salaries, incredible benefits, and a flexible work schedule for those with families or other obligations.

Cons

It's still a university, so often times things happen very slowly.

Advice to Management

N/A

2. "Technician"

I worked at New School part-time

Pros

Great place. I loved it.

Cons

Human Resources is very bad.

3. "Nice place"

Current Employee - Part-Time Faculty in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Part-Time Faculty in New York, NY

I have been working at New School part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great students and facilities.

Cons

No parking if you're commuting from outside the city.

4. "Tutoring at University Learning Center"

Current Employee - Tutor
    Current Employee - Tutor

I have been working at New School part-time (More than a year)

Pros

You learn by teaching others.

Cons

Tutoring requires spending more energy than any other on-campus job because you have to solve student's problem spontaneously and actively explain to the student in a limited time.

5. "Program Administrator"

Current Employee - Program Administrator
    Current Employee - Program Administrator

I have been working at New School full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Summer Fridays and PTO. When the only clear "pro" is the time spent NOT at work, that seems like a problem to me.

Cons

-I have never worked at a place where staff and faculty have been so overtly condescending to administrative staff. The disrespect is incredibly disappointing, especially for a "social justice" focused institution.
    -Balance of work is skewed - extremely few responsibilities over the summer contrasted with heavy work load and unreasonable expectations during fall and spring semesters
    -Little support for "on the ground" staff. Unclear leadership structures. For an organization that operates on an annual cycle, very few processes are documented or regimented. Why are we continuing to re-invent the wheel? Perhaps because turnover is so high no one records anything that happens.
    -TNS does not provide training to supervisors; instead, promoting ill-equipped staff to leadership positions.
    -Poor compensation. Key benefits, including employer retirement match, were slashed in recent union contract negotiation.

Advice to Management

Train your managers. Treat your employees like people, not expendable objects.

6. "Learned a lot!"

I worked at New School full-time

Pros

Great colleagues, environment. I was able to learn a lot and work with great faculty.

Cons

Wish they had more growth opportunities available.

7. "Great people, highly disorganized"

I worked at New School part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice facilities, intelligent faculty, lots of events, nice location, pleasant students from all over the world

Cons

So much red tape. The right hand doesn't know what the left is doing. I once had to wait almost 8 weeks to get paid.

Advice to Management

How many middlemen do you need? Provide basic support to your faculty and expect them to stay for much longer

"Incompetent Leadership / Cold and Corporate"

I worked at New School full-time

Pros

- There are many admin on the ground floor that still care about the students and are a joy to work with.
    - Summer Fridays and a week during the winter break off.
    - Working with amazingly bright and enthusiastic students.

Cons

The New School has moved far away from its core values. As a member of the NS community for over 10 years, I started there as part of a close family of staff with the students' best interests at heart, while also pushing to make our program strong and innovative in the field.

Now the President and his team have centralized and re-organized to the point of destruction. The turnover rate of staff at The New School is incredibly high and it always amazed me how they chose not to acknowledge or learn from this. In the David Van Zandt era, many of my colleagues have unhappily left or have been let go with little to no notice.

The New School has turned into a money-making machine focused on making a name for itself instead of dedicating its time and energy on the students that are currently getting an education there. Tuition is incredibly high while the president is one of the highest paid university presidents in the country...

Working there was many times like being back in high school. The leadership would gossip, tell employees information they shouldn't be privy to, use profanities, and bad-talk other employees in meetings. They use bullying fear and baseless unpredictability to control the staff they manage. They discourage coworkers from building friendships with one another.

Advice to Management

Be human. Recognize how valuable your staff is who serve the students. They are good at good at their job and have the students' respect because they are human. Without happy and supported students, there is no New School.

9. "Manager of Digital Assets"

Current Employee - Digital Asset Manager
    Current Employee - Digital Asset Manager

I have been working at New School part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

flexible hours, location, equipment benefits

Cons

they never have the budget for raises or more time
    no benefits

"Thorny organization"

I worked at New School full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

-Many of the people that work at this institution genuinely care about helping the students. A major pro were the wonderful co-workers I had.

-Summer Fridays and the week off during Christmas through New Year.

-Great location

Cons

- Leadership seems to have lost sight on the core mission. They still operate under the simulacrum of a progressive, critical thinking institution but it's bs. It's all an act. Do they even really care about the students b.c it feels like all they care about is the $$$.

- TNS has an extremely high turnover rate probably due to the fact, they ask a lot and pay quite little. The longevity of employment is irregular and strange. I have noticed staff who should have been let go awhile ago who are still at TNS and people who have served TNS 20+ years be let go without warning. So much for valuing such service. The junior staff at TNS are not compensated enough. That is my biggest gripe. It feels like TNS does not value their staff and gives you the barest minimum they can.

- Depends on the office you're in but work/life balance is poor. TNS will give you the guise of a healthy work/life balance giving 22 vacation days, unlimited sick days but what if you can't take those vacation days? You're allowed to carry over a maximum of 15 days in a year, any remaining will be forfeited/put into a special leave bank in case of emergencies. If you leave the org, you will be paid out maximum of 15 days .

-TNS is still very much siloed. The amount of bickering goes on for the most ridiculous thing is a sad sight. I think this hinders great ideas for improving operations and helping students. They're still battling I'm CoPA, I'm Parsons...the whole we are The New School identity is still a tough pill for some to swallow.

- While the commitment to serve and help students is great, I also think on the flip side there is far too much molly-coddling going on. Sometimes a firm no is necessary. Many students now think if they cause a big enough scene, they'll get what they want.

Advice to Management

Start by valuing the junior staff more. Aren't they the ones doing most of the heavy lifting?