New School Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated Jan 13, 2021

3.8
New School President David E. Van Zandt
David E. Van Zandt
Pros
Cons
  • "Low pay, scrappy, doesn't practice what they teach(in 20 reviews)

• "86% of the institution is part time faculty, so the institution runs on the backs of low paid faculty(in 12 reviews)

Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Inclusive, collaborative work environment"

Current Employee - Adjunct Faculty

I have been working at New School part-time for less than a year

Pros

Diversity, inclusiveness, colleagues dedicated to their work, work-life balance

Cons

starting salary for adjunct faculty is less than teaching fellows/assistants

2. COVID-19

"Overall A+. Covid tossed an unexpected curveball into the mix, which is the only reason I’m no longer working for TNS."

• Diversity & Inclusion
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at New School full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Amazing benefits and work life balance. Never have to worry about working off the clock, or the all-too-familiar situations faced in many other companies with the “big boss” or “higher ups” stopping by your office—truly felt like everyone was a team player regardless of seniority and/or title. Great opportunities for upward mobility and branching out into new roles/challenges with the full support of your supervisor(s) and/or team. Majority of leadership has an impressive number of years under their belt working there, which speaks volumes.

Cons

Pay could be more competitive. Typical headaches with running into delays stemming from typical bureaucratic red tape.

Continue reading

3. "Everybody is nice and welcoming."

Former Freelancer - Graphic Designer in New York, NY

I worked at New School

Pros

Everybody is nice and welcoming. You can learn a lot from different departments. Great work/life balance.

Cons

The office is not spacious. It doesn't have a bar or anything exciting.

4. "Good experience but political"

Former Employee - International Student Advisor

I worked at New School full-time for less than a year

Pros

Meet great people and students, diverse and forward-thinking environment, good benefits and work-life balance

Cons

Political and bureaucratic, lack of communication between staff

5. "Director"

I have been working at New School full-time

Pros

Good work life balance and summer schedule

Cons

No decision making process amongst senior management

6. "Good in general"

I worked at New School full-time

Pros

Comfortable environment and very nice people

Cons

Zero flexibility. No work/life balance.

7. "Analyst Position"

4.0

I have been working at New School full-time for less than a year

Pros

Most departments strive for a work life balance

Cons

Even though benefits such as medical and PTO are good, compensation for most staff is below the market value.

"Thorny organization"

2.0

I worked at New School full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

-Many of the people that work at this institution genuinely care about helping the students. A major pro were the wonderful co-workers I had. -Summer Fridays and the week off during Christmas through New Year. -Great location

Cons

- Leadership seems to have lost sight on the core mission. They still operate under the simulacrum of a progressive, critical thinking institution but it's bs. It's all an act. Do they even really care about the students b.c it feels like all they care about is the $$$. - TNS has an extremely high turnover rate probably due to the fact, they ask a lot and pay quite little. The longevity of employment is irregular and strange. I have noticed staff who should have been let go awhile ago who are still at TNS and people who have served TNS 20+ years be let go without warning. So much for valuing such service. The junior staff at TNS are not compensated enough. That is my biggest gripe. It feels like TNS does not value their staff and gives you the barest minimum they can. - Depends on the office you're in but work/life balance is poor. TNS will give you the guise of a healthy work/life balance giving 22 vacation days, unlimited sick days but what if you can't take those vacation days? You're allowed to carry over a maximum of 15 days in a year, any remaining will be forfeited/put into a special leave bank in case of emergencies. If you leave the org, you will be paid out maximum of 15 days . -TNS is still very much siloed. The amount of bickering goes on for the most ridiculous thing is a sad sight. I think this hinders great ideas for improving operations and helping students. They're still battling I'm CoPA, I'm Parsons...the whole we are The New School identity is still a tough pill for some to swallow. - While the commitment to serve and help students is great, I also think on the flip side there is far too much molly-coddling going on. Sometimes a firm no is necessary. Many students now think if they cause a big enough scene, they'll get what they want.

Continue reading
  9. "General Writing Tutor"

I worked at New School

Pros

Flexibility, great work/life balance, and staff was helpful

Cons

There are no cons for this company.

10. "Temp Job"

Undergrad Admissions Operations in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at New School for less than a year

Pros

I liked the environment and fellow staff. Great work/life balance. Even though I only worked as a temp, they invested in my 401K.

Cons

nothing really it was a temp job

Viewing 1 - 10 of 19 English Reviews