New Seasons Market Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.4
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Wendy Collie

Pros
  • Friendly co-workers, free food from vendors or day old stuff (but still perfectly good), pay is good for it being a grocery store, great benefits (in 33 reviews)

• The benefits are good, and the coworkers look out for each other (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • upper management can be demanding and unaware of how a department is actually ran (in 11 reviews)

• Constant pressure to stay at or below an already painfully small labor budget, regardless of how it affects customer service and satisfaction (in 7 reviews)

1. "Still better than most"

Current Employee - Anonymous in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Portland, OR

I have been working at New Seasons Market full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Terrific people, great products, cool vendors. Opportunities to volunteer on paid time and support local organizations like Meals onWheels. Great food!

Cons

The things that aren't great here are the same things that aren't great at all retailers-- a marketplace that is wildly competitive in a biz with notoriously thin margins. Growth in this market has been tough and there have been some bad decisions made. It's still better than so, so many places.

Advice to Management

Stop trying to do everything at once--solve one problem at a time. Also, all the new people from Whole Foods are smart and nice, but I wish they'd stop trying to simply recreate WF.

2. "95% Awesome"

I have been working at New Seasons Market full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Always an opportunity for personal and professional growth in the company. Coworkers are genuine, supportive and team driven. Benefits are amazing and lots of freedom and flexibility in taking time outside of work to pursue personal passions or interests without guilt.

Cons

The open and fluid environment can lead to lengthy decision making times, a bit of self-entitlement of some to overshare in opinions or overstep. Being a company that "welcomes all" is visible at the store level with our customers and most staff, but not modeled at our support offices. If your opinion isn't the same as other and monotone you wouldn't necessarily feel free to speak freely for fear of poor treatment.

Advice to Management

Practice being truly open and accepting of ALL forms of ideas, opinions, people and beliefs. Don't be afraid of conflict and having real conversations in real time.

3. "Great Natural Food Market"

Former Employee - Wellness Clerk in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Wellness Clerk in Portland, OR

I worked at New Seasons Market full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly co-workers, free food from vendors or day old stuff (but still perfectly good), pay is good for it being a grocery store, great benefits.

Cons

Hours and schedule can be unpredictable (they cut my hours without telling me, just because they "needed too"), competitive to move around departments.

"More about profit than serving the community"

Current Employee - Department Manager in Vancouver, WA
    Current Employee - Department Manager in Vancouver, WA

I have been working at New Seasons Market full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Co-workers are great. Benefits-blue slip program of free food that's expired or about to expire. Lend-A-Hand program: charity work while on the clock-when you have time and aren't being over worked.

Cons

Definitely has changed with the changing of CEOs. We're still concerned with our communities and employees, but definitely far more concerned about sales and profits than ever before. Used to follow the principle that taking care of the employees made for happy employees that would take care of the customers-amazing customer service would then take care of the sales. Now we're just pushing sales. Micro managing. Used to have a speak up culture-you could say what needed to be said and not get in trouble-no longer the case. Cutting back on labor-used to have lots of employees and hours to care for customers. No longer have enough to support customer needs.

Advice to Management

Stop micro managing. Let us do our jobs instead of constantly having meetings about what our jobs are suppose to entail. Actually listen to our advice. Start caring about the employees again. Sales will follow.

"Still a good grocery store to work at, but not what it used to be"

I worked at New Seasons Market full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits, usually good co-workers

Cons

The original owners and founders of the company are no longer a part of New Seasons. Over the last 5 years, the company has developed more of a corporate feel. They have cut hours significantly, and every year they will not replace any emplyees who leave through the beginning of the year until they are very desperate for help in the summertime. Then when you have multiple new employees at once, the already overworked current employees have to train the new ones while still trying to keep up with customer demand. The company is making more money than they ever have before, yet they are using it to open more stores at a rapid rate, so that they are not able to put money into labor. With the increase in population in the Portland area, they have had an increase in customers. The New Seasons I worked at had fewer employees than when I had started over 2 years before, yet the sales reflected an increase in shoppers. It's simple, they've gotten greedy and are growing too fast. I understand the need for a company to change as it grows, but my problem with New Seasons is that they keep telling the employees that nothing has changed, that they still have the same values, but they don't. Just be honest.

Advice to Management

Be honest about the changes that have been happening. Don't tell your employees that their profit share has decreased due to not enough sales. Maybe if you stopped opening 2 stores every year, you would have money to continue the profit share level that you once had and be able to give the same level of raises that you used to. It is obvious where the money is going, just be honest about it. They told everyone in our store meeting that they would not take money from the employee profit share to open new stores. If you are going to cut hours and require your staff to make up the difference in productivity, reward them accordingly. Also, you used to only promote from within, but in my last year at the company, over half of the upper management in my store were outside hires.

""No Seasons""

Former Employee - Team Lead in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Team Lead in Portland, OR

I worked at New Seasons Market full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

customers, fellow staff, some benefits but they are changing in negative ways that employees new to No Seasons do not realize

Cons

Lost original values/culture. Sales and bottom-line are more important than customers or employees. No longer unique in the market now that they are modeling the Whole Foods and Freddies paradigm . Management is dishonest; not employee supportive. Cliquish and sometimes downright mean. Speaking up will probably get you fired or targeted. If you are a boyfriend or girlfriend of mgmt, you will be promoted faster, despite more experienced candidates.

Advice to Management

Go back to the original model where employees and customers mattered. Quit manipulating Speak Up surveys to say what what you want them to say. (ie-statistics don't lie but liars use statistics.) Learn from the current Trump administration--are you modeling them? Is his bad behavior giving you permission to do the same?

"Front End Manager"

Former Employee - Front End Manager in Camas, WA
    Former Employee - Front End Manager in Camas, WA

I worked at New Seasons Market full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Work with a lot of great people and customers in a healthy atmosphere.

Cons

Growing to fast, lost its community connection, starting to value people less and less.

Advice to Management

Unfortunately New Seasons is turning into Whole Foods. New Seasons has hired many former Whole Foods officers recently. A lot of wonderful people who started with New Seasons in the beginning have left or been fired in the last two years.

"Used to be a great place to work"

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Portland, OR

I worked at New Seasons Market full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Co-workers, schedule, dress code, free food.

Cons

CEO, corporate environment, horrible wage increases

Advice to Management

LISTEN to store staff

10. "Meat/Seafood Manager"

I have been working at New Seasons Market full-time

Pros

Staff members, blue slip program, discount, profit sharing,

Cons

Still a new company trying to adjust to the retail trends

Advice to Management

Training should be a priority

"Clerk"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I have been working at New Seasons Market part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good Health Insurance, Free food that's about to go outdated.

Cons

Top heavy management. Shifting to valuing the margin over customers, and hiring new managers with a lack of knowledge or expertise in their department.