New South Wales Government Reviews | Glassdoor

2.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends
New South Wales Government Premier Gladys Berejiklian
Gladys Berejiklian

1. "requires extensive restructure"

I have been working at New South Wales Government full-time

Pros

Some positions with good salary and benefits

Cons

poor management/senior executive
    limited career path

2. "Typical govt bureaucracy"

Pros

Govt conditions are fantastic, good hours (flex time) and the pay is great. Dealing with landholders on their projects can be really rewarding

Cons

Senior managements incompetence and inability to think strategically rather than focussing on PR, bureaucratic process nd spin is complete crap. Having to deal with long term planpning nd a combination 3yr funding cycle is infuriating.

Advice to Management

Prior planning prevents p*** poor performance (or project delivery). Support your on ground staff and provide decent training would be a good start

3. "I work in a silo and the amount of time spent on internal reporting issues prevents me from carrying out my role."

Current Employee - Development Manager in Sydney (Australia)
    Current Employee - Development Manager in Sydney (Australia)

Pros

Being Government there is job security and when 7 hours and 35 minutes are up you can go home, no questions asked. There is job security.

Cons

Some of the projects I work on will ultimately house ex-criminals. The (dis)organisation prevents employees from accomplishing anything as there are so many forms of internal reporting, so many hurdles, so many silos. There are many layers of management fat that contribute little if anything to the ultimate outcome (building houses) and no communication between anyone. Dealing with finance (sometimes the same person) requires 4 seperate sets of reporting and it takes 2 months or more to pay a vendor. Most senior people in the organisation are there because of Labour Party connections and not merit. Being english/anglo-ancestry will guarantee seniority. HNSW is a dumping ground for UK public housing executives and their failed ideas and methods.

Advice to Management

The "restructure" was a complete joke; rewarding mates with jobs, creating silos, and setting up a structure that works against itself. Get a "real" consultancy firm to come in and fix it by getting rid of the cronies and useless UK rejects and setting up a system that works.

"Great employer with great communication and willingness to teach you"

Current Employee - IT Auditor in Sydney (Australia)
    Current Employee - IT Auditor in Sydney (Australia)

Pros

Many including lots of training, work life benefits that include flexdays. An ambitious culture that aims to work to the highest professional standard whilst allowing employees to have a life outside of work

Cons

Inferior recognition in the private industry. Public sector audits have little auditing of revenue as the government departments and agencies are paid through grants.Old fashioned.

Advice to Management

Keep going your doing a great job. The audit office has one of the cultures and perspectives I have seen in my career.

6. "BOS around the state"

Pros

Autonomy, trust and leadership opportunities were available to me. A sense of team was created even though the rest of the people at my level were working all over the state.

Cons

Long hours as the job involves working during the day and at night. Many hours of driving incorporated into the working day. Family time limited due to work commitments.

Advice to Management

I would like to see more work opportunities available for people who work in the country now that we have Video Conferencing and a range of communication devices to enable effective work from anywhere in the state.