New West Technologies - Colorado Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Mark Owen

"Associate Deputy Program Manager"

Former Employee - Program Director in Vienna, VA
    Former Employee - Program Director in Vienna, VA

I worked at New West Technologies - Colorado (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good Benefits offered to employees

Cons

management overhead was too much

Advice to Management

lower management cost

"RIP New West"

Former Employee - Program Analyst in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Program Analyst in Washington, DC

I worked at New West Technologies - Colorado (More than a year)

Pros

Checks cleared every week.
    Decent benefits, including metro reimbursement.

Cons

Little to no company culture
    Unstable
    Managers were clueless as to how to galvanize and empower employees.
    Managers lacked the ability to manage employee/contract agency relationships

"New West Technologies is closed."

Former Employee - Senior Project Scientist in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Senior Project Scientist in Washington, DC

I worked at New West Technologies - Colorado full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

They finally streamlined the company and got rid of the crummy managers who were incapable of doing their fundamental job of managing the contractor-client relationship and instead blamed everything on the underlings who were doing the actual work.

Cons

Unfortunately, they got rid of everybody else, too. New West's holding company, Cybergy Partners, filed for bankruptcy in February 2016, as you can easily discover via an online search. The rent didn't get paid on the DC office, employees got stiffed on their pay, the company's contract as a subcontractor providing technical support to the Department of Energy was terminated, and all of the useful former employees are now employed by the prime contractor on the project (this last thing is actually a pro, not a con).

Advice to Management

Live by the sword, die by the sword. New West grew as large as it was a few years back because it cannibalized work from its subcontractors on a previous contract. It is poetic justice that now New West has died by a large dose of its own medicine and has gotten eaten by another company. The only way this outcome could have been more rewarding would have been if it had happened on the watch of the previous owner who took a solid team and corporate culture and destroyed it, but unfortunately he made his profit in selling the company first (although he was listed as one of the creditors in the bankruptcy filing).

"Lots of instability"

Current Employee - Program Analyst in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Program Analyst in Washington, DC

I have been working at New West Technologies - Colorado full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Offers the opportunity to work with government agencies and interesting programs

Cons

Instability issues
    Company does not have a cohesive team or well-defined mission

"Great people being run into the ground by poor decisions"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Englewood, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Englewood, CO

I worked at New West Technologies - Colorado (More than a year)

Pros

The average employee at Primetrix is a cut above your normal co-worker, everyone is kind and competent. Great company culture, lots of happy hours, etc. I got my career started here and my manager there was wonderful and helped me grow so much as a person.

Cons

One name: Mark Gray - the CEO of the Cybergy family of companies and his careless decision making has forced the company to restructure several times, rebrand over and over, and they are out of money and out of prospects. I was laid off in a massive downsize, and I doubt they will come back from it.
    Little upward mobility for entry level employees. 2 years into my job I was still performing duties I had performed as an intern. As much as my boss wanted to promote me, there was nothing to promote me to.

Advice to Management

Have a plan when you hire interns or entry level employees. Keep hiring great people. Find a leader from within the company rather than letting a leech with a ton of money take over completely and destroy some really good things.

7. "A beltway contractor"

Current Employee - Energy Analyst in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Energy Analyst in Washington, DC

I have been working at New West Technologies - Colorado (More than a year)

Pros

Good people. Great pay.

Cons

Not really wedded to the idea of clean tech.

"Junior Staff"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at New West Technologies - Colorado (More than 5 years)

Pros

I worked in the DC and MD offices and my commute was 20 minutes, easy breasy. I had flexible work hours.

Cons

Nepotism
    Family politics (used to be a family run business that ended up destroying the family who started the company).
    Politics with leadership flowing down the chain affecting all staff.
    Constant change in vision
    Lack of ability to win new contracts of substance
    Micromanaging culture
    Incompetent leadership within the overhead branch
    Nonexistent opportunities for growth
    Below market rate salary
    Frequent changes in leadership and corporate structure was destructive
    Power trips from executive leaders
    Inability to keep valuable staff on board. Considering all of the above, this is no surprise.
    The benefits the executives are granted compared to the rest of the staff is just amazing. But then again, this is a corporate environment.
    Advice to the job seekers, don't break your back over a company who only wishes to use you to earn profit, a fraction of which you enjoy (crumbs maybe), but doesn't give you proper compensation or genuine appreciation of your services. Work here just enough to get experience and look for greener pastures.

Advice to Management

Value the hardworking staff, not those who are "yes" people. Learn to assess the difference between those employees who add value on existing projects and client interactions and those who just talk and basically write emails all day. Might want to start by looking at those in your executive support roles. Might find a few hundred thousand dollars to save there by eliminating dead weight. All the best in your future!

9. "Great People, Distance from Sr Management"

Former Employee - Project Assistant in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Project Assistant in Washington, DC

I worked at New West Technologies - Colorado full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good benefits package (100% reimbursement for public transportation), great people to work with and learn from. The company made an effort to connect with on-site contractors (embedded at client offices) at quarterly meetings.

Cons

A common complaint from on-site staff was feeling disconnected from company, its priorities, and direction. Was dissatisfied with my compensation following annual review despite having secured a Master's since beginning work at company; no annual bonus provided (at least to project staff) while I worked there. Not a lot of professional development resources available

Advice to Management

Invest more in staff to establish more permanent pool of talent.

"One word - RUN!!!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at New West Technologies - Colorado full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This place has ZERO pros in terms of personal growth, compensation, or perks. The Company's sustainability plan pretty much means eliminating any types of office snacks or drinks to reduce the company's carbon footprint. Want to reduce carbon footprint? Eliminate offices that are unnecessary. Allow more employees to work remotely. Work a 9/80 schedule. Have more offices closer to an urban center. This company does not care about growing from within nor do they care about training their employees to see them succeed. Been with the company way too long to know that any thoughts about effecting change DOES NOT HAPPEN.

Cons

The company supposedly gives you an "incentive" for not taking a sick day. They give you one extra vacation day for every quarter that you do not use any sick days. How is an extra 4 vacation days versus 7 sick days supposed to be an incentive for its employees??? Unless you decide to rack up the 3 "extra" vacation days and then use all 7 of your sick days the last quarter--there really is no "incentive" here. Do the math folks!!!

The last time I put in over 100 hours during a pay period, I had to fight my way through management to get comp time. Management's response? Comp time is discretionary and provided in the bonuses you receive (BONUS? THE SMALL PORTION OF WHAT YOU BILLED THE CLIENT FOR WHEN I WORKED THOSE EXTRA 30 HOURS?) Slavedrivers. This is the kind of company we're talking about here.

Advice to Management

Get new management--management that truly cares about its employees and trains them to succeed instead of management that likes to take credit for all the work that their employees do (i.e. project managers that get credit for putting proposals/budgets/hours that employees put together, or that take patents away from their employees, etc.). Then you have other management personnel who have no expertise in the field they're managing but who think can manage projects, staff hours, rates, etc. Also, your current COO does not know how to treat employees with respect or dignity and micromanages what she should not be spending her expensive time managing. If you want to keep talented folks around and stop hemorrhaging all your good employees, I recommend getting rid of or changing up your current management tree.

"Two words - stay away"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Pros

NWT is a good place to start your career but there are no career paths available.
    Great mid-level managers are there who really care about their employees.
    The benefit package seems satisfactory.

Cons

Nepotism
    Poor leadership at the senior level
    Changing corporate direction frequently is confusing to employees; it seems to cause the good employees to leave.

Advice to Management

Look to hire qualified professionals outside of the family.
    Engage employees with thoughtful career planning.
    Decide what the company is and what its mission is all about rather than reinventing the company every year.