New Western Reviews | Glassdoor

New Western Reviews

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Andrew Welker
1 Rating

Pros
  • New Western is a great company to work for, it is a fast paced environment that will teach you all you need to know about investment real estate (in 7 reviews)

• The work environment at New Western is unmatched (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • 100% commission - if you struggle you don't eat (in 8 reviews)

• The job is competitive and commission based (in 5 reviews)

"Great Sales Job for a Young Guy"

Former Employee - Disposition Agent in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Disposition Agent in Austin, TX

I worked at New Western full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This will be repetitive, as a lot of the pros of this job can also be a con.

Flexible Hours - Work your own hours and as long as you produce no one will care. except for mandatory Monday, Wednesday, Friday morning meetings.
    100% commission - common to a lot of sales jobs, "unlimited earning potential" and all that jazz.
    Very strong culture - Young working guys, overall very welcoming for young guys coming out of college or not far removed.

The full time GM for the Austin office is great, as is the GM for the San Antonio office that spends more time in Austin than San Antonio. Both were very supportive of me throughout my tenure with the company, always available for a call or text when I had an issue or question. I would work for either of them again in a heartbeat.

Cons

Flexible hours - If you want to sell a house, be prepared to put your clients schedule ahead of your own. I was trying to make sales on weekends, 6 or 7 in the morning and 8 or 9 in the evening. Properties will become available at all kinds of times in the day and week, and you need to be willing and able to hustle out at a moments notice, or get beat out by one of your co-workers who is.
    100% commission - if you struggle you don't eat. Most of the offices are full of young single guys with few expenses, but even at that you probably need an average of 2-3 sales a month to be comfortable, which can take a while especially in less established offices with fewer sales opportunities.
    Very strong culture - a bit "frat-like" at times. Inherent with being an office full of young guys there are daily instances of juvenile behavior and pranking going on.

As has been said, don't expect to get paid when you start this job. It can be very difficult to get your foot in the door and start making money. Austin is a very tight market, and you have to be prepared to not only get a lot investors in your Rolodex, not only get several parties interested in a property, not only get several of your investors to come out to a property and (occasionally) bid on a property, but then be prepared to be beat out by the other agents who have some big-time investors who buy several houses a month. You have to be prepared to lose time and time again before you win, because it could take a month or it could take 3 or more to get your first sale, and it could take you half a year or more to be earning a consistent income that pays your bills.

Full disclosure, in my 5-6 months with the company I made one sale right before we decided to part ways. Through a combination of circumstances I got beat out on at least a dozen houses that I had a realistic chance to get. If your psyche can't handle you feeling like you did everything right and still lost, then this isn't the job for you.

Advice to Management

One issue I had was consistency of training. We were supposed to have training twice a month to sharpen our sales skills, and it probably averaged out to once a month. The on-boarding part of my training was a bit sub-par, at more established offices the training is much more involved and comprehensive while the Austin office was more of a "monkey see, monkey do" style of training. I know the two GMs there are still trying to get all the systems in place and lined up, but especially with new hires take an hour or three a day and just drill into a topic. Make sure that within the first week they really have their phone call, lead generation, meeting pitch and showing basics fairly solid, as well as general real estate/New Western knowledge.

"It was a good company"

Former Employee - Real Estate Agent in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Real Estate Agent in Atlanta, GA

Pros

The hours gave me valuable time to have a good work-life balance. Also, I thought the company culture was engaging and collaborative.

Cons

The salary could have been better and sometimes it was confusing on what exactly the promotion direction would be. Also, it is tough to get on your feet and be successful at the beginning

Advice to Management

I would work on giving agents a base salary at the beginning so they can get on their feet and understand the business.

"Great place to learn but no real long term career opportunity"

Current Employee - Senior ACQUISITION AGENT in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Senior ACQUISITION AGENT in Dallas, TX

Pros

You will learn how to sell and learn a lot about investing in real estate. There is a lot of turnover so you meet a ton of new people and you can move up quickly! The whole company gathers at the end of each quarter to listen to senior management tell everyone that greatness is on the horizon and that everyone is about to make a ton of money but those promises tend to fall short. Don’t get me wrong, there are some top performers that might make a few bucks but most of the employees are just under the impression that they are making decent money. If you stay focused on the learning aspect and pay little attention to all of the Hooplah you will be fine. Please don’t go spend your first few paychecks on a nice watch no matter how much pressure there is to do so.

Cons

I was with the company for years and was considered a senior associate/ top producer. The compensation is minimal (nowhere close to $250,000 as stated below) even for a senior associate. You can expect to make $15,000 - $25,000 while in sales and $30,000 - $70,000 in acquisitions depending on the branch and your talent level (very few have earned more). You will be responsible for all marketing and lead generation. 99% of your marketing will be putting bandit signs on the side of the road and taking phone calls. The bandit signs are illegal but the company will pay for your tickets ( most of the time). Be prepared to use a substantial amount of gasoline and put thousands of extra miles on your vehicle with no reimbursement from the company.

Advice to Management

This website is for current and former employees to submitt an honest review of your company, so that job seekers can get an accurate picture of what they should expect. Please respect the integrity of the site by not posting anymore reviews from current senior mangement.

"solid education for self-starter"

I worked at New Western (More than a year)

Pros

uncapped commission, fully equipped office

Cons

weak corporate structure, male-centric environment

Advice to Management

n/a

"Sales agent"

Pros

Young fun environment in the office

Cons

No base pay. Hard to consistently make money