New Western Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

4.7
Andrew Welker

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • We are the Marines of investment real estate (in 7 reviews)

• Love the fast paced work environment and the people I work with (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • 100% commission - if you struggle you don't eat (in 9 reviews)

• Position requires hard work and diligence (in 6 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"You get out what you put in!"

Current Employee - Sales Agent in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Agent in Austin, TX

I have been working at New Western full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I've been working with New Western for 5 months now, and I can definitely say this is hands down the funnest office I have ever worked at. The office culture is extremely friendly, all the senior staff try their hardest to include the new guys in the group and make sure that each agent feels like they can be themselves and enjoy their time at work. The commissions are solid and the entire office helps each team member to get their deals done with whatever knowledge they need. I can safely say that in the short time I've been with New Western I can talk circles around agents that have been doing the job for years. the wealth of knowledge afforded to you is incalculably beneficial.

Cons

You must have gumption and the will to succeed if you want to work here. This is not a job for an employee that sits back and expects a paycheck for nothing. You must bring value to the team for this to work.

Advice to Management

My advice to management is to not change a thing. The office culture is balanced out perfectly by the effort needed to succeed. the more you put in the more you get out!

"i love my job!"

Current Employee - Sales Agent in Bedford, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Agent in Bedford, TX

Pros

great pay for producers.
    fraternity like brotherhood between employees.
    growing company=opportunity for fast promotion.
    getting paid for learning investment knowledge that others pay a lot of money for.
    Awesome quarterly meetings!

it's not an easy job, it's challenging and demanding but very rewarding. i have worked with other real estate brokerages, residential and investment, and New West has surpassed any and all expectations i might have had. The training is there if you want it, both formal and informal. I know that i am an open book to any employee that has a question. the office atmosphere is unbeatable. i can honestly say that the guys i work with have become lifelong best friends of mine.

Cons

getting started is scary and defiantly not easy. long hours in the beginning. bringing lunch everyday and figuring out that i had to get an unlimited plan on my cell phone were some changes i made to make life a little easier at first. i think that's true with any sales job, especially real estate. there is a lot to learn really fast and it's clear that the faster you learn, the faster you can start getting paid. That's a lot of pressure for some people.

Advice to Management

keep being innovative. i think it's one of the main reasons we have been successful thus far. keep encouraging senior employees to continue to learn all new developments in the market. as long we never loose sight of those two things, we will continue to flourish.

"You're going to learn a lot and earn a lot if you put in the time"

Current Employee - Acquisitions Associate in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Acquisitions Associate in Houston, TX

I have been working at New Western full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

About me: I have worked at New Western for 3 and ½ years. I’m a top producer in the company. I’m also in the top 1% of Houston Realtors (as several associates have been in this office). I achieved this in 2 ½ years. I have been with this company long enough to see it grow and mature into a very respectable and dominate leader in the residential investment industry.

-The office environment is very unique. An office generally consists of 10-20 young guys in a casual atmosphere. It is very likely to become good friends with colleagues.

-Entry level associates will sell residential investment properties to clients. The company no longer puts out “bandit signs” in order to generate client leads. Instead, an associate is expected to go to networking events, make cold calls, and will also be given MANY warm leads to generate clientele. It can be a fast paced and competitive environment. You will not have many predictable days once you get out of training.

-The training at the firm has also greatly improved. There will be sit down instruction with senior associates training you on everything from contracts, financing, organization, and of course selling. This generally lasts a few weeks once you start. The company still firmly believes in “learning on the job”. A great way to learn at this company is to ask lots of questions and I have never encountered an associate that is not willing to help or give a little of their time. I came into New Western with NO knowledge of the industry and I now believe myself to be a competent professional.

-The compensation at the company is 100% commission. I consider this a pro. I hate the idea of knowing what I’ll make every year. You’ll probably hear this from others at the company, but yes it is possible to make 100K in your first year and yes others have done it and yes this is possible at any of the New Western offices. However an associate that achieves this would be considered exceptional. A decent associate can now expect to make 50K+ in a full year. But you will earn what you put into it. It’s that simple.

Cons

-100% commission can be considered a con for many people. This job is simply not a good fit if you do not want to take responsibility for how much you make.

-You will drive a lot. You can expect to put about 10-15K miles on your car per year. I personally don’t like sitting at a desk all day so I actually enjoy getting out and looking at houses. But I’m sure some prefer a 9-5 desk job.

Advice to Management

Keep growing fast

"Great environment for hard working, self motivated employees"

I have been working at New Western full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Great work environment where employees thrive on each others success. Competition drives each employee to learn from one another and continue to push themselves. Our offices have a young workforce with a casual atmosphere.
    - A long term, self-sustaining career as we solely promote from within. New Western has opened a total of 6 offices in the last 5 years and there is no stopping in sight. As we grow, the opportunity for advancement does as well.
    - All employees are 100% commission based. The more effort and work you put in, the more you will get paid. An average new sales associate will make $50-60k within the first year, with others surpassing $100K. You dictate your pay.
    - Freedom from the 9-5 grind. Most of our employees end up putting in more than 40 hours a week, but they largely make there own schedule and spend much of the time out of the office.
    - The learning curve is fast, but vigorous training is provided by management and you will learn a tremendous amount of real estate knowledge in a very short period of time. We want all of our employees to be able to knowledgeably present an investment opportunity to our clients and feel confident when doing so.

Cons

- Some people see the 100% commission as a downside. This job is not for everyone. If you are not willing to push yourself and take responsibility for your own career path, you will probably not succeed in a commission only based environment.
    - Yes you will drive a lot. If you have a truck, trade it in or move closer to the office.

Advice to Management

- Continue on the same path we are currently on.

"Sky's the Limit! Great work environment with a "practice what you preach" attitude."

Current Employee - Acquisition Agent in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Acquisition Agent in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at New Western full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Simply put, this opportunity has been a blessing. This job has allowed me to gain the knowledge i need to set my future up through real estate investments. I can analyze a deal with the best of them! I have been able to put all of my business skills to test while working with some high caliber co-workers. The office i work in has taken the word "Integrity" to a new level. Doing what you say your going to do has been the key to my success. I know it sounds simple, but its true. The accountability is much higher than most traditional real estate offices.

Cons

This is NOT a desk job! I have seen other associates come and go, but rightfully so. If you don't have any self discipline or structure in your life, you will get lost in the whirlwind. It takes a skilled individual to balance their work and personal life. 100% commission is not for everyone. However, it suits me best.

Advice to Management

Thank you upper management for always being available and not sitting on your heels. Being innovative and cutting edge has pushed us to the front of the industry.

"Profitable, Lucrative, Action Packed and one hell of an experience."

Former Employee - Acquisitions Agent in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Acquisitions Agent in San Antonio, TX

I worked at New Western full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you hustle, you can advance quickly. If you listen, you can learn quickly. If you can sell, you can earn quickly. Immediate opportunity for advancement and the sky truly is the limit. Unlimited support from senior members, and cutting edge technology that will make your efforts go further. Young atmosphere with the I can do anything mentality.

Cons

Rapidly changing industry with lots of changes. This isn't necessarily a New Western downside but just real estate related trend. This job is not for the faint of heart and if you like sitting at a desk until 4:59pm then go look somewhere else.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

"Working for New Western has exceeded my expectations"

Current Employee - Real Estate Agent in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Real Estate Agent in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at New Western full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

New Western is an exciting place to work. The compensation plan is great, and what I especially appreciate is that the more I'm willing to put in to it the more I get out of it, and that goes for the learning experience as well. Serious earning and learning potential. The amount I've learned in the six weeks since starting here blows my mind, as does the compensation I've earned. New Western is professional yet fun. These guys are the real deal and passionate about promoting the success of those around them.

Cons

The main challenge I've encountered working here has been getting started. Stepping in to a new role that's commission based, it takes time to develop an income stream. If you learn slow you will earn slow, what's great is this encourages one to learn fast so they can start earning.

"Getting Paid To Do What You Love"

Current Employee - Acquisitions in Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - Acquisitions in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at New Western full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Really have liked my experience at New Western. Being an investor myself its really cool being able to work around and learn about investment Real Estate. The greatest thing is that you are learning in the REAL WORLD which you can not put a price on. This is not a dusty book from half price books now, you are interacting and learning with the best investors in your city. If you come in and work hard you will make serious money. I have made far greater than I expected to make and feel like the trend will continue.

Cons

No benefits. Besides that no real cons come to mind.

"This is the company I decided to dig into as a career. Very satisfied."

Current Employee - Sales Agent in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Sales Agent in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at New Western full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

New Western Acquisitions will teach you everything you need to know to be successful doing Real Estate. The office culture is friendly and everybody is competitive in a healthy way. It will be exciting to grow with this company over the years.

Cons

There are many markets this company still needs to expand into.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

"Great Company for individuals that are self motivated, hungry, and want to be rewarded for their time."

Current Employee - Acquisitions Agent in Friendswood, TX
    Current Employee - Acquisitions Agent in Friendswood, TX

I have been working at New Western full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This is the perfect company for those looking to learn the industry, move up fast and be rewarded for the time they put in. New Western is built on the foundation of you get out what you put in. Individuals that can come in and apply themselves to the business model will be rewarded. Those that come in looking for things to "just happen" will more than likely be watching from the sidelines. At the end of the day a lot of your success is based off how much you want and how willing you are to make that next step.

This mentality has created a very competitive and fun atmosphere within the offices. I can honestly say that this is the only job that I have had that I actually look forward to going to everyday. The work environment that is created in each office pushes the associates to be their absolute best day in and day out. Your coworkers are your biggest competition, but at the same time they are the same people that you meet up with after work, play golf with on the weekends and call when you need something.

For those that come in and apply themselves the sky is the limit. It’s very simple - If you want it, go out and get it. I have been with the company for just under three years. I started in sales like everyone else, To date I have been promoted 5 times. A dedicated Sales agent can easily come in and make six figures by their second year.

Cons

Start up is demanding. You will put in a lot of work to build your business. If done right you will be rewarded for the hard work over the long run.

Advice to Management

Keep moving forward and lets continue to grow.