New Western Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

4.8
Andrew Welker

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • We are the Marines of investment real estate (in 7 reviews)

• Love the fast paced work environment and the people I work with (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • 100% commission - if you struggle you don't eat (in 11 reviews)

• There are no cons as long as you stick to the work (in 7 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"You get out what you put in!"

Current Employee - Sales Agent in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Agent in Austin, TX

I have been working at New Western full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I've been working with New Western for 5 months now, and I can definitely say this is hands down the funnest office I have ever worked at. The office culture is extremely friendly, all the senior staff try their hardest to include the new guys in the group and make sure that each agent feels like they can be themselves and enjoy their time at work. The commissions are solid and the entire office helps each team member to get their deals done with whatever knowledge they need. I can safely say that in the short time I've been with New Western I can talk circles around agents that have been doing the job for years. the wealth of knowledge afforded to you is incalculably beneficial.

Cons

You must have gumption and the will to succeed if you want to work here. This is not a job for an employee that sits back and expects a paycheck for nothing. You must bring value to the team for this to work.

Advice to Management

My advice to management is to not change a thing. The office culture is balanced out perfectly by the effort needed to succeed. the more you put in the more you get out!

"Employee beware"

Former Employee - Sales in Irving, TX
    Former Employee - Sales in Irving, TX

I worked at New Western full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Most of the reviews are from current employees, who have not figured out the company yet. Atmosphere can be fun if you enjoy partying and a young frat atmosphere.

Cons

High turnover, management is all over the place, company only hires males for acquisitions and sales jobs. Like other reviews have mentioned, make sure you have money prior to working for this company. It takes about 3 months to start averaging $2,000 monthly.

The company starts you off making 12% commission (which seems great) but its only great for management. Another reason why turnover is high.

Advice to Management

Don't require employees to attend meetings if they are considered a w-9 contracted employee.

Dec 4, 2015 – Recruiting Manager

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. We definitely like to make sure we have a fun office culture so associates will want to come to the office instead of working from home. Many of... More

"New Hire Beware"

Former Employee - Real Estate Agent in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Real Estate Agent in San Antonio, TX

I worked at New Western full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Unlimited earning potential. If you already have lots of experience in the real estate business, then you should be fine. Lots of flexibility. You really are your own boss.

Cons

College grads beware! If you are new to real estate, then life is going to be very hard for you. I came into NW with very little experience, and I was met lots of stress and brokers who could care less. Bottom line: the brokers, AKA NW, profit by everything that you do. BUT, you do not profit unless you can successfully bring in new clients. The brokers will pretend like they are your friend, while they could secretly care less about you. They only want the profits that you will give them. basically, the system is designed to give the broker, owners, and acquisitions team 88% of the profits, leaving you with 12%. Of course, the more sales you get the higher percentage income you receive as well. I was treated very poorly by my broker. He seemed great at first, but later on down the road I ended up hating him.

Advice to Management

Design a better training system for new hires. Make sure that new hires are given confirmation earlier in the hiring process, instead of having them go out and spend money on a real estate license before confirming that they are hired.

Dec 4, 2015 – Recruiting Manager

Thank you for taking the time to express your concerns in this review. I’d like to address your concerns in this response.
    Our recruiting department is a bit confused by this review as we haven’t... More

"I was never paid"

Former Employee - Investment Advisor in Denton, TX
    Former Employee - Investment Advisor in Denton, TX

Pros

You will be introduced to wholesaling, which can be done on your own.

Cons

I will be suing this company for their inability to pay my commission on a transaction I completed.

Advice to Management

Pay your employees when they earn their commission.

Dec 4, 2015 – Recruiting Manager

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. I’d like to start by addressing the pros. Yes, you are introduced to wholesaling, but you also have to keep in mind that you are being trained by... More

5. "Operations Coordinator"

Former Employee - Operations Coordinator in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Operations Coordinator in San Antonio, TX

I worked at New Western full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You get a lot of admin experience like QuickBooks and recruiting. You also get paid lunch breaks. Best thing is experience

Cons

It gets very tedious, and the agents usually don't respect you and call you a secretary. A lot of inappropriate behavior goes on in office.

Advice to Management

Make sure groupme is watched by HR, lawsuit waiting to happen with the amount of sexual harrassment/inappropriate behavior that happens

"If you have money in the bank to live off for a year... try it"

Former Employee - Sales in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Sales in Houston, TX

Pros

young atmosphere, laid back, nice office

Cons

poor training... need a draw program, tired of putting up yellow signs, no reimbursements, poor ethics, overall i wouldnt invest or work there

Advice to Management

train better

"Lots of work with little pay, but you learn a lot"

Former Employee - Acquisition Agent in Bedford, TX
    Former Employee - Acquisition Agent in Bedford, TX

Pros

Lots of transactions create a lot of learning opportunities
    Great people and fun environment
    Easy to create own work schedule

Cons

The pay is really low for what they are asking the employees to do
    The management constantly changes things
    For a straight commission job there are too many requirements

Advice to Management

The pay is really low for what they are asking the employees to do
    The management constantly changes things
    For a straight commission job there are too many requirements

"Frat Like Atmosphere -- Can Learn A Lot"

Pros

New Western is definitely a fun place to work, the typical office is full of young guys that are close friends. With a 100% commission job you are allowed to make your own hours and determine your pay. You have a lot of flexibility with your hours, and can take time off whenever you want. You have to be a hard worker and be able to pick up on a lot of information fast, but you learn a TON about the industry. A couple people in each office are making six figures, and there is always the possibility of selling a couple big deals and making some quick cash. They try and make it a real "wolf of wall street" environment. They have a very aggressive business plan, and since they pay straight commission there is very little overhead and are constantly opening new offices. Have fun happy hours and company outings.

Cons

It is tough to make much money with this job. The top earners in the sales department won't make anywhere near the "$100k +" that they advertise. The commission cut is very weak, with the company taking a huge amount. There is a HUGE amount of turnover, as new sales agents come and go very often. Starting out can be difficult, and few people make much money the first couple months. You will need to have some money saved up to start. There are also no benefits. The company doesn't have the best reputation with people familiar in the industry, so that can be a tough hurdle to overcome with the serious knowledgable buyers out there. There are some tenured people in all of the offices, and they are the ones who make all of the money. There are people in each office who make six figures, but they have all been with the company for a while or were handed great leads. With it being 100% commission there is a lot of competition within the office to make sales, and the senior associates work together because they are friends, so it can be tough to break in.

Advice to Management

Pay new sales associates better... Provide more intensive training to help new employees get there feet off the ground.

Jun 10, 2015 – Recruiting Manager

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. I’m glad that you were able to learn a lot during your time here at New Western Acquisitions. We pride ourselves on the training that each... More

"Sales"

Former Employee - Sales/Acquisitions in Fort Worth, TX
    Former Employee - Sales/Acquisitions in Fort Worth, TX

Pros

New Western teaches you the ropes about investment real estate, mainly the wholesaling side. They teach you the basics of selling and rehab. Good job if you are good with people and don't have a problem cold calling.

Cons

No benefits. Work solely of of commission and the splits are small. Management takes the lion share. If you can't sell more than 3 properties a month, not wort working there.

Advice to Management

Look into providing benefits..... With the amount of driving employees do, it could come in handy. Also, some of the houses aren't exactly safe.

10. "New Western"

Former Employee - Sales Agent in Fort Worth, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Agent in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at New Western full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people to work with. Management is top notch, but they do not do a great job on assisting sales team.

Cons

For a straight commission job they they think we are hourly. Spend way too much time and money for a little return.