New Western 42 Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

4.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Andrew Welker

Pros
  • New Western is a great company to work for, it is a fast paced environment that will teach you all you need to know about investment real estate (in 6 reviews)

• The work environment that is created in each office pushes the associates to be their absolute best day in and day out (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • 100% commission - if you struggle you don't eat (in 8 reviews)

• The job is competitive and commission based (in 5 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Leadership that cares"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Austin, TX

I worked at New Western full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I worked for New Western Acquisitions for about 9 months and really enjoyed my experience. I cant speak highly enough of the leadership, at least in my office. You go to work every day with your friends. You work so closely with these guys that they become some of your good buddies. The office GM's are particular about who they hire and make sure you will fit in before making any decisions. I found that we had great team chemistry and I could share just about anything with my co-workers. My bosses were guys I felt comfortable coming to with any issue, even non work related ones. Real estate can be a shady business and I can honestly say I never once saw the leadership, or team, engage in any unethical behavior. I have even seen good deals passed up in order to abide by the rules. Every day was a competition, but an amicable one. Not only was the leadership focused on bettering the office, but the individuals in it. You learn the importance of goal setting and organization. They have an annual "corporate" getaway that is a blast. We often had office competitions to better us as people. For example we had a voluntary office fitness competition. Its was fun and we all were all better because of it. These guys like to have fun. Work hard play hard pretty much sums up the mentality of most NWA team members. At the end of the day the GM's will be very honest with you and are very much concerned with your well being. If you are driven, competitive and capable of being organized this job could certainly be for you.

Cons

If you aren't organized and fail to set personal goals you likely wont make it. You aren't supposed to work in wholesaling for a couple years if you leave. But trust me, I have seen the competition, and if you leave it will be because wholesaling just isn't for you, not because another wholesale firm is more desirable. As far as this field goes, New Western is the place to be.

Advice to Management

Keep on inspiring the team. Stick to your current core competencies and you will continue to thrive. Thanks for always keeping it real.

New Western Response

Apr 5, 2016 – Recruiting Manager

Thank you for taking the time to review New Western and share your experience with us. We appreciate your time and feedback. I'm glad to hear that your experience with New Western was a positive one ... More

2. "The Best Job Opportunity I Could've Asked For"

Current Employee - Recruiter in Bala Cynwyd, PA
    Current Employee - Recruiter in Bala Cynwyd, PA

I have been working at New Western full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Here's everything you need to know about working for New Western Acquisitions:
    Professionally, you will benefit from flexible work hours, second-to-none training, amazing leadership that's paired with positive motivation, and unlimited income potential. Personally, you will grow, build life-long friendships, and enjoy a creative and fun work environment. I can say with complete honesty that this job is the greatest opportunity that anyone could hope for.

Cons

A fast-paced work environment can result in stress, but it's 100% worth it to work with such an innovative and supportive team.

Advice to Management

Keep it up. You're truly amazing.

3. "Best company I've worked for!"

Current Employee - Office Coordinator in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Office Coordinator in Austin, TX

I have been working at New Western full-time

Pros

This is hands down the best company I have worked for. The atmosphere is amazing, and we all know that is hard to find. My bosses are super kind and easy going. There is no better place to work.

Cons

Nothing. Nada. Zilch. No con's only pro's!

Advice to Management

Keep it up! :)

5. "Best Internship ever."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

Pros

In most jobs you have co-workers well here you have family. The agents treat each other like brothers. They care for each others success and will help them do whatever to achieve. You will not get this type of affection somewhere else. They knowledge I have been obtained has kick started me to succeed in Real Estate.

Cons

There is no downside to working with New Western. You need to be self-motivated to succeed in this industry.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing Dustin! Great job and thank you again!

"Income and Environment"

Current Employee - Acquisitions Agent in Lake Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Acquisitions Agent in Lake Dallas, TX

Pros

The exciting career path most realtors are looking for but haven't found. This brokerage is for those that are money driven and enjoy the "work hard, play hard" culture. I've made more money in my first quarter here than in an entire year with the last company I was apart of.

Cons

This career is not for the casual real estate licensee. Dealing with strictly investment properties you have to be quick between the ears and ready to handle discourse.

7. "Most rewarding job I have EVER had"

Current Employee - Acquisition Agent in Lake Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Acquisition Agent in Lake Dallas, TX

Pros

Make your own schedule, financial freedom, great office culture and team building, amazing support and respect, exciting and fun.

Cons

If you are not self motivated and have a great work ethic this job will not be for you. At NWA we strive for excellence and if you are not willing to put in the work then you will not be successful!

8. "Amazing growth and support"

Former Employee - Sales Agent in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Agent in San Antonio, TX

Pros

New Western has by far been one of the greatest jobs I have yet to be part of. Its not just a job but rather a family. Its leadership, its growth, its drive, its development. Its the ultimate springboard to success. Your success is directly correlated to work ethic. It requires an individual to step up and grow not just one area of your life but all areas of your life. To succeed here you have to be self motivated, and driven, the income is completely self determined. But there is a constant flow of opportunity. I worked in the San Antonio location, the amount of support and leadership is absolutely unbelievable. Its not often you go into a job where every individual under one roof is willing to help you and support your growth in real estate, not only that but it expedites your sales training for any sales job. You can learn 5 years of knowledge in just 6 months working for a family like New West. By no means is this job for everyone, it is a grind, it is a hustle, but there is no ceiling with New West.

Cons

The only cons come with your personality type. You are your own business, no one is holding your hand. If you lack drive, organization, or even professionalism your growth is limited. You are your own business. If you are intimidated by hard work, this is likely not the right place for you. You have to want it.

Advice to Management

Under the San Antonio and Austin market, the leadership is absolutely unbelievable, they are all simply amazing. Everyone has their story of success, and the adversity each person has been through has helped shape them in to amazing leaders with some of the most amazing and priceless guidance and motivation. Thank you.

9. "First Job out of College"

Pros

Lots or real estate knowledge and training

Cons

Hard work and long hours

"Great Sales Job for a Young Guy"

Former Employee - Disposition Agent in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Disposition Agent in Austin, TX

I worked at New Western full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This will be repetitive, as a lot of the pros of this job can also be a con.

Flexible Hours - Work your own hours and as long as you produce no one will care. except for mandatory Monday, Wednesday, Friday morning meetings.
    100% commission - common to a lot of sales jobs, "unlimited earning potential" and all that jazz.
    Very strong culture - Young working guys, overall very welcoming for young guys coming out of college or not far removed.

The full time GM for the Austin office is great, as is the GM for the San Antonio office that spends more time in Austin than San Antonio. Both were very supportive of me throughout my tenure with the company, always available for a call or text when I had an issue or question. I would work for either of them again in a heartbeat.

Cons

Flexible hours - If you want to sell a house, be prepared to put your clients schedule ahead of your own. I was trying to make sales on weekends, 6 or 7 in the morning and 8 or 9 in the evening. Properties will become available at all kinds of times in the day and week, and you need to be willing and able to hustle out at a moments notice, or get beat out by one of your co-workers who is.
    100% commission - if you struggle you don't eat. Most of the offices are full of young single guys with few expenses, but even at that you probably need an average of 2-3 sales a month to be comfortable, which can take a while especially in less established offices with fewer sales opportunities.
    Very strong culture - a bit "frat-like" at times. Inherent with being an office full of young guys there are daily instances of juvenile behavior and pranking going on.

As has been said, don't expect to get paid when you start this job. It can be very difficult to get your foot in the door and start making money. Austin is a very tight market, and you have to be prepared to not only get a lot investors in your Rolodex, not only get several parties interested in a property, not only get several of your investors to come out to a property and (occasionally) bid on a property, but then be prepared to be beat out by the other agents who have some big-time investors who buy several houses a month. You have to be prepared to lose time and time again before you win, because it could take a month or it could take 3 or more to get your first sale, and it could take you half a year or more to be earning a consistent income that pays your bills.

Full disclosure, in my 5-6 months with the company I made one sale right before we decided to part ways. Through a combination of circumstances I got beat out on at least a dozen houses that I had a realistic chance to get. If your psyche can't handle you feeling like you did everything right and still lost, then this isn't the job for you.

Advice to Management

One issue I had was consistency of training. We were supposed to have training twice a month to sharpen our sales skills, and it probably averaged out to once a month. The on-boarding part of my training was a bit sub-par, at more established offices the training is much more involved and comprehensive while the Austin office was more of a "monkey see, monkey do" style of training. I know the two GMs there are still trying to get all the systems in place and lined up, but especially with new hires take an hour or three a day and just drill into a topic. Make sure that within the first week they really have their phone call, lead generation, meeting pitch and showing basics fairly solid, as well as general real estate/New Western knowledge.

"Newest Recruit at New Western"

Current Employee - Disposition Agent in Orange, CA
    Current Employee - Disposition Agent in Orange, CA

I have been working at New Western full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I am without a doubt the newest recruit at New Western Acquisitions (Orange, CA). I read the bad reviews our company got and I can't for a second see where any of them are coming from. I've been working here for 2 1/2 months, have sold 2 houses, have met every executive manager, and I LOVE the team that I work with. This CAREER is unlike any other. It's beneficial from so many directions... Think about it: You learn real estate, one of the best industries out there; every single client you bring in to your network is an *investor* that has loads to teach while you help them make money; you work with other motivated, ambition individuals like yourself who push you to be your best and who get on you for slacking; and you're basically getting the chance to run your own business with a proven business model put in place.
    And to all the people saying they don't like the payout: If you think you're making too little than work harder and move up through the company.. All of the managers running this company started from disposition and eventually opened their own offices. My broker has been working at the company for 6 years and now makes WELL over 6 figures. That seems like a pretty good investment to me. Currently, we have hit record numbers last month and are on track to hit even higher this month. I couldn't be happier with any other company. I love you, New Western.

Cons

The learning pace is super quick but honestly that's what it takes to be successful, adaptation. I also struggle with my personal life because I love work so much that I have to force myself to leave the office at night.

Advice to Management

Continue to motivate your recruits like you did me.