New World Van Lines Reviews | Glassdoor

1. "Good place to work"

Former Employee - Summer Help in Cranbury, NJ
    Former Employee - Summer Help in Cranbury, NJ

I worked at New World Van Lines full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Lots of hours and good people

Cons

Long days and a lot of heavy lifting, can be busy too

2. "Opportunity at New World"

I have been working at New World Van Lines full-time

Pros

New World anticipates future growth which will provide significant opportunities for those interested in a logistics career.

Cons

There has been a lot of turnover recently but it has been necessary to accomplish the company mission.

3. "Give it a try it's hard work unless you work together"

Current Employee - Mover
    Current Employee - Mover

I have been working at New World Van Lines full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I've worked here maybe over 7 years I love it your hard work does pay off in the long run as long as the customers are happy your job is done

Cons

It's hard work unless you work together .You have your seasons when your away and when you're not.

Advice to Management

Being home doesn't pay the bills but try giving jobs closer home for the ones that have a family

4. "From one working slub to another, please dont work at this hole."

Former Employee - Operations Dispatcher in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Operations Dispatcher in Chicago, IL

I worked at New World Van Lines full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Your so busy that the day flys by and sometimes they give you free lunches.

Cons

I use to be a dispatcher and I honestly don't know where to start with this place. First I can't count on both hands and feet how many times I was asked to punch out and work for free because I had too much overtime. Most of the people who work for this company barely have a high school education, and most of the time have the mentality of a 16 year old who never wants to leave high school. This company does not care about promoting you or giving you any type of real raise that will help you grow in life. The family that owns this company is a bag of nuts and the bag is rotten to the core. The way they treat their drivers and movers is inhuman and most days I left this place just all out depressed about my life at this company. If you can work any other place please, please, please do!!

Advice to Management

Don't have any, maybe actually care about your employees, but you probably won't.

5. "Great friendly place to work"

Pros

Provide you with great hours

Cons

Can work a lot of hours in one day

"Don't Bother...."

Pros

Certain co workers, sometime the only reason I even enter the doors in the morning.

Cons

The pay is by far below average. Employees scoot by doing the bare minimum are rewarded while those who go out of their way are looked over. The company is being reconfigured which means how many budget cuts can they make to keep the money in the owners pocket. Jobs have been smashed together with no raises in sight, cubical jammed into offices to be able to get rid of our trailer outside. This company is headed for the toilet, don't bother look else where.

Advice to Management

Shut up about how we are "equals" while you pay us below market pay and pull in with your Bentleys and Mercedes. Listen to your employees before you have none.

7. "Great place to work for"

Pros

Lots of work, busy year round

Cons

Sometimes too much work all year

8. "So so"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Pros

No good reasons except for the people.

Cons

Working for someone who has bi polar and is jekyl and Hyde. Big mistake hiring this person.

Advice to Management

Get a new person for this VP position. They can't handle their personal life so how can they handle the stress of being a VP. My dog could do better

9. "Excelent"

I worked at New World Van Lines full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great People Ed Marx is the best boss ever

Cons

Non that I can think of.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what your doing.

"IT Department/Analyst"

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Chicago, IL

I worked at New World Van Lines full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It really is an 8-5 job. No work is necessary any other time. That is how the culture is. I'd be happy to be continuing to work on projects, but people just leave as soon as the clock strikes 5. It was the least I had ever been working on something in my life, but I didn't necessarily like that.

There is one small corner of IT which is good, and I would recommend to a friend as a place for learning and growth under that particular manager. Be careful though because I would not recommend IT as a whole to a friend.

Cons

I worked in IT.
    This job had been explained to me as if it was a huge learning opportunity in programming because the people before me had gained skills and then left within a few months to join different companies.
    Salary was about 27% lower than low average market value. Retirement matching was so low that is it essentially nonexistent. PTO was I believe 5-6 days after you completed a year. They docked my pay because the office closed for Fourth of July and I hadn't completed my time amount yet.

On my first day, I came to be told that my work area was "cursed" and people joked, guessing when I would leave . I heard about each person who had been in my exact seat and "went crazy and left" within months, all within the past year to year and a half. The turnover rate is very high. I came to understand through working there that the situation is not at all 5-6 people coming in and "going crazy" in one department all within a year to a year and a half. It is consistent problems within the people managing those positions.

This is obviously quite a problem and it was sad to me that leaders that have a ton of potential but obviously can't keep people under them were not willing to listen and improve for any of those cases and simply blamed a large amount of people as being crazy or inadequate. If IT is going to improve at all to keep people for longer than a few months, it will take considerable feedback and effort.

Be careful with this choice if you apply, and if you ask "What is the honest reason that there are zero people working under here right now and what is going to change so that we can build this team together?" then make sure you are satisfied with the answer and continue to be satisfied with the answer. Inquire about who is there now and how long they have been there.

It was not worth it to me for the combination of 27% lower pay than the low-average end of the scale, poor benefits that I didn't even use because they were so small, no days off, and treatment by people who were having incomers turn over every few months.

Advice to Management

I think it is always a good idea to engage with the feedback from employees.
    The difference between where you are and where you could be, just be taking seriously the feedback of employees, and ensuring that they are satisfied, is enormous.