New York Blood Center Reviews | Glassdoor

2.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
New York Blood Center President & CEO Christopher D. Hillyer, MD
Christopher D. Hillyer, MD

Pros
  • The benefits are great, 5 weeks vacation plus holidays and sick time (in 2 reviews)

• Great company to work for, excellent benefits (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • if your not upper management you get paid the bare minimum (in 4 reviews)

• Management is stubborn on raises and will work u not caring if u have children (in 2 reviews)

"Excellent Benefits, PTO"

Former Employee - Supervisor in Westbury, NY
    Former Employee - Supervisor in Westbury, NY

I worked at New York Blood Center full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits are competitive, generous PTO and sick time. Company prioritize internal promotion.

Cons

Shifts are demanding, workloads erratic. Depending on the department and tenure, you may kiss Holidays goodbye.
    Each division seems to have their own clique. Even with all the centralization, there is still lack of communication and finger pointing.

Advice to Management

Be more receptive to your staff. They have lives outside the blood center.

"DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME..."

I worked at New York Blood Center full-time

Pros

The benefits package is the only pro. Other then that I would NOT recommend this company to anyone! People are promoted to managerial and supervisory positions and have NO clue how to manage or supervise anyone and what makes it worse is that NO training is provided to help these newly promoted managers and supervisors be the best that they can be. Upper management is so far disconnected with the organization that they have NO idea whats going on! The HR department is filled with people who NO one really knows besides one person, the Benefits Manager, she's the only person you can get in contact with when you call that department and its sad because most times you can tell she's two seconds away from having a mental breakdown. Everyone else who works in that department can never give you the answer you need when you call and theres always turn over, once you get familiar with someone there suddenly gone and a new person is there! I say they get rid of the entire department and start anew with a fresh staff! Your company is as strong as your HR department!

Cons

Everyone is sleeping with each other and dating each other which causes for an uncomfortable work environment! Stricter guidelines need to be put in place to avoid situations like these! Oh and lets not forget that the pay is horrible! if your not upper management you get paid the bare minimum! More paid holidays would be nice as well, you only get 6 at this place!

Advice to Management

Increase pay, More paid Holidays off and a more professional team of staff members who actually care about their employees!!!

Oct 17, 2016 – Senior Account Executive

Thank you for taking the time to provide of us with feedback. Please know that efforts are constantly being made to ensure that we are providing a positive work experience for all of our employees ... More

"NY Blood Center Company Review"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at New York Blood Center (More than 10 years)

Pros

Comparable benefits for nonprofit organization. Opportunity to advance within company.

Cons

Salaries lower than comparable organizations. Communication between upper, middle management and line staff poor. Staff morale low, management makes no effort to boost camaraderie or morale due to unwillingness to spend $ on perks formerly offered, such as annual recognition event, holiday gatherings, etc.

Advice to Management

Eliminate the "Need to know" policy regarding sharing information. Increase salaries to encourage more qualified personnel to apply to work. Reinstate annual employee recognition events, rather than celebrating every other year. Be willing to spend a little more money on regional celebrations to assist in boosting employee morale. Hire more staff to relieve extra work burdens on current staff.

Aug 22, 2016 – Senior Account Executive

NYBC is committed to its workforce; we review recognition and rewards programs on a regular basis in an ongoing effort to balance employee needs and the fiscal demands of effectively functioning as a ... More

"Horrible"

Former Employee - Driver in Queens Village, NY
    Former Employee - Driver in Queens Village, NY

I worked at New York Blood Center full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Benifits & pay. There is really not many pro's at all about this place other than that. It's pretty sad how an organization that claims to stand for something positive runs its operations like straight garbage. Management treats their employees with no consideration or respect. What's more sad that the individuals that run things are criminal against their own kind. Everyman for himself! No matter how well you perform, none of that matters. Management sleeps with who ever is willing to do so in exchange for ammunity, or to move up the ladder. Sad, sad,sad, actually it's pretty pathetic!

Cons

This is a dumpster ground for all who are lazy, rats, back stabbers, & everything in between...no loyalty.

Advice to Management

Pompous, gods gift to the world attitudes! Women sleep with mange mentioned in order to keep their jobs or move up among the ranks.

"Exciting times, but workplace culture issues"

Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at New York Blood Center (Less than a year)

Pros

NYBC operates in a very price-competitive industry (blood banking) which is creating a lot of pressure to cut costs as well as opportunities to stand out among blood banks. They are well positioned to do this because they have the resources to acquire and partner with other blood banks and service providers, and they have the scientific expertise to innovate, leading to new products and services in blood banking, transfusion medicine, cell therapy, etc.

All in all, there are a lot of exciting initiatives and changes going on at NYBC. As an employee, this can translate into opportunities to get involved in new strategic initiatives, particularly if you are entrepreneurial and you (and/or your supervisor) are well positioned.

Cons

NYBC can be a frustrating place when it comes to new initiatives, particularly those that require senior level support, because there are some significant horizontal silos - i.e. communication or collaboration gaps between layers of management, starting at the board of trustees and downwards. This is an organization of gatekeepers. The leadership realizes that a more agile and integrated culture is needed, and some managers are helping bring this to reality.

Depending on the department/division, there are few opportunities for upward mobility - promotions, raises, etc. The organization has a hard time holding on to young, ambitious employees who want to learn and want to follow a career development track. That said, there is a tuition-reimbursement program should you decide to work full-time while in school.

Advice to Management

Create more opportunities for professional development and collaboration. Enact ways to reward employees for superior performance and initiative. Communicate more with employees, particularly about the changes that are taking place.

"Director"

Former Employee - Director in Yorktown Heights, NY
    Former Employee - Director in Yorktown Heights, NY

I worked at New York Blood Center (More than 10 years)

Pros

Gratifying work. A real community need. Caring employees.

Cons

Slightly mis-informed executive team. A disconnect between Exe, management and supervisor level.

Advice to Management

Experts brought in can add different perspective and should be allowed.

Mar 14, 2016 – Senior Account Executive

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback. Your input is appreciated and taken into consideration in our ongoing efforts to enhance our employees’ experience. If you have any ... More

"Donor specialist 1-3"

Former Employee - Phlebotomist Technician1-3 in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Phlebotomist Technician1-3 in New York, NY

I worked at New York Blood Center full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Meeting new people different places.

Cons

Management doesn't care if u have children and will work you to death at any shift. Does not value how many pints you collected or how well u interacted with a client/donor during the procedure. If they dont like you they look for any flaw to fire or suspend you to then hire new employees at a cheaper rate.

Advice to Management

Value your senior employees because we are the ones who kept the company going. Be understanding if some of us are in school but scheduling is horrible and not every time a coworker wants to switch. Be understanding of families with babies.

Mar 14, 2016 – Senior Account Executive

Thank you for taking time out of your day to provide us with feedback. Your opinion is important to us as it helps us in our efforts to make NYBC a great place to work. As a 24/7 operation we strive ... More

"Phlebotomist 1-3"

Current Employee - Phlebotomist Technician in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Phlebotomist Technician in New York, NY

I have been working at New York Blood Center full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great benefits 401kk and meeting different people to save lives

Cons

Management is stubborn on raises and will work u not caring if u have children. Lots of crazy hours different locations

Advice to Management

Be understanding

Jan 28, 2016 – Senior Account Executive

"An Amazing Company to Work For."

Former Employee - Associate Recruiter in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Associate Recruiter in New York, NY

I worked at New York Blood Center full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great Staff/ Team, great benefits, 401K, medical flex account, tuition reimbursement, great work environment, great x-mas party, and various locations...

Cons

The Human Resource office at the Long Island City site and may prove a bit of a trek for those not familiar with the area.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

Jan 28, 2016 – Senior Account Executive

Thank you for your feedback. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your time here at NYBC! Our HR office is located in our corporate office on East 67th Street in Manhattan. If you have any ... More

"I was involved with clinical trials research in the development of an HIV vaccine."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at New York Blood Center full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The most important aspect of my position was the ability to work with people at risk, who are often disadvantaged and suspicious (with reason) of medical providers and settings, and provide them with information and support.

Cons

Upper management had little interest in day to day efforts with clients. Not always supportive of staff.

Advice to Management

Find avenues to develop greater respect for a committed staff.

Jan 28, 2016 – Senior Account Executive

Thank you for taking time to provide us with feedback. All feedback is taken into consideration and efforts are being made to improve our work environments. If you have any additional feedback you ... More