New York City Department of Education ESL Teacher Reviews | Glassdoor

Create your profile to get personalized information

New York City Department of Education ESL Teacher Reviews

Updated Jul 28, 2019

3.2
New York City Department of Education Chancellor 	Carmen Farina (no image)
Carmen Farina
  1. "Great career..."

Current Employee - ESL Teacher in Long Is City, NY

I have been working at New York City Department of Education full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Summer vacation and you have the same school holidays as your children in public school.

Cons

It is challenging to not bring the problems of your students home. It can be very stressful.

Advice to Management

Empower your teachers. Remember to praise them, too.

New York City Department of Education2017-03-19
  2. "ESL Teacher"

Former Employee - ESL Teacher in New York, NY

I worked at New York City Department of Education full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Working with and helping kids,

Cons

Difficult principals. Have to spend own money on materials. Lack of support from administration.

New York City Department of Education2019-07-29
  3. "Teaching in the DOE"

Current Employee - ESL Teacher

I have been working at New York City Department of Education full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

One benefit of working for the NYC DOE is the benefits package. Health insurance is free for current employees and their families (if you choose the right plan).

Cons

A con is the bureaucratic nature of the DOE system. Getting even the simplest of questions answered can be a time-consuming headache.

New York City Department of Education2019-05-12

"ESL Teacher"

Former Employee - ESL Teacher in New York, NY

I worked at New York City Department of Education part-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I have been working in adult education for the past 27 plus years teaching English as a Second Language. I have also taught Spanish Literacy, as well as Beginning Spanish ; in the Adult Education program and at Mercy College. I have tutored students in English and Basic Math .

Cons

I do not do well in large classes, or at an advanced level. I have more experience with adults in group classes, than with children. When I taught children in the past, I had problems with discipline in the public schools.

Advice to Management

At this point, I prefer private individual students, or small groups up to 10. I would consider other options as well.

New York City Department of Education2018-01-25
  5. "ESL Teacher"

Current Employee - ESL Teacher in Brooklyn, NY

Pros

Insurance and pension, professional development and overtime options Children who do have support at home can be very successful students.

Cons

Schools are being closed and changed into charter schools

Advice to Management

Respected , supported and appreciated teachers stay strong! Harassment is common in novice administrators. New teachers need support, not fear to stay inspired.

New York City Department of Education2017-05-28
  6. "Not for the faint of heart."

Former Employee - ESL Teacher in New York, NY

Pros

Decent pay, benefits. Knowing that you have touched the lives of your students and their families. Seeing the light of understanding on their faces when you've broken through on a difficult concept

Cons

Where to start. The world of education, specifically public education is going through seismic changes; which is far to complex and confusing to go into in this review. It has to do with the corporatization and privatization of public education that I don't fully grasp. Administrations are pitted against the teachers who are at the lowest rung. The union is weak. If you have the great good fortune of working under a reasonable administration then you'll be alright, but there are far more Unreasonable administrations and each school is like a mini-state, with principals as overlords and assistant principals as henchmen. Network and try to find a school with administrators who are rational and reasonable. The workload is always beyond reasonable even if you have a decent administrator. There are no end to the expectations. I'll stop here.

Advice to Management

As with all work environments, if you treat your subordinates well, they will bend over backwards for you. But even with that knowledge, know that there are limits. It never ceases to amaze me how many in managerial positions don't get this very simple principle.

New York City Department of Education2016-07-01
  7. "Totally disorganized but the benefits aren't haf bad"

Current Employee - ESL Teacher

Pros

Good, free health insurance, lots of holidays and summers off, and the work sometimes really is rewarding.

Cons

The teacher evaluation system is punitive rather than focusing on growth. Everything is disorganized and should be more centralized. There is non-compliance everywhere when it comes to special needs and ELL students. The workload for a classroom teacher is ridiculous.

Advice to Management

Give us time to do the paperwork and additional work you assign. Trash the current evaluation system and choose one that focuses on collaboration and growth.

New York City Department of Education2016-03-02
  8. "It all depends on your administration..."

Former Employee - ESL Teacher in New York, NY

I worked at New York City Department of Education full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Made life long friendships and connections while teaching. It really depends on the type of administration that is at your school. Strong union which will help with a group issue but not so much with individual issues.

Cons

Typical big government entity that has a lot of red tape to try to cut through in order to get things accomplished. If you have a good administration then teaching is wonderful and really for the kids but if you work for someone who has no idea what they are doing or really how to do it then life will be difficult.

Advice to Management

Principals need to have more accountability. They are "supervised" by their network leader or the Chancellor, which leaves too much to error because they are the ones in charge at that point but teachers/staff are not able to speak out against them.

New York City Department of Education2013-11-05
  9. "Working as ESL Teacher in a very nice public school in Brooklyn."

ESL Teacher in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at New York City Department of Education

Pros

Lots of vacaction time to spend with my own children. I have lots of creativity in my lessons for the ELL students.

Cons

Tons of paper work. Often asked to cover classes outside of my program. Huge demands made to have children make progress with the yearly test NYSESLAT. Having lots of patience saved up for when I go home to my own children. If you don't make it interesting, it can become a very boring, mundane job.

Advice to Management

Please be organized!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

New York City Department of Education2010-06-15