New York City Department of Education Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Carmen Farina

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Substitute Paraprofessional"

I worked at New York City Department of Education part-time (More than a year)

Pros

schedule is great, long lunch breaks, summers off and gettign out of school early. Also never had a problem with payroll

Cons

most of the teachers i worked with had no respect for paras. They see you as a slave, and some teachers went the entire day without talking to me

Advice to Management

You should have a workshop for teachers on respect for paras and how to treat them respectfully. Also, listen to the feedback.

2. "DOE is Slum Employer"

Former Employee - Teacher in Queens Village, NY
    Former Employee - Teacher in Queens Village, NY

I worked at New York City Department of Education full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Summer paid vacation that is calculated on the year's salary

Cons

Rude awakening when it's time to retire in that In collaboration with BEERS
    they will do everything in their power to deny pensions in that they make ybe Time In Which To Appeal Run Out

Advice to Management

One day the law will come down on your tactics.

3. "Teacher"

I worked at New York City Department of Education full-time

Pros

Actually teaching the kids in the classroom

Cons

Angry, stressful workplace; all the blame falls on teachers

Advice to Management

Screen your applicants for principal positions

4. "Consultant"

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I have been working at New York City Department of Education as a contractor

Pros

Good hourly wage, good location

Cons

Bad management, little interesting in developing young professionals, no benefits, "managed" by someone five years younger with no graduate education and fewer years of professional experience.

Advice to Management

Hire undergraduates for consultant roles and actually care about their advancement. Better yet, hire full time to retain institutional knowledge.

5. "HR Director (in the real world, glorified HR specialist)"

I have been working at New York City Department of Education full-time

Pros

Flexibility, vacation and fun people to work with

Cons

Everything else. Not real HR as the schools and principals really did what they wanted to do. Directors in jobs they are not qualified for. No one can manage or direct. Operations is a joke. They recently changed many non-union titles to Union and that really "messed" things up. Health benefits are horrible, no contract. UFT is a joke if you are non-teacher title.

Advice to Management

Learn how to manager, learn your people, and retire if you are need to. Change really needs to happen, positive change but everyone wants it back like was. Please get over that. Bring in more qualified people and not secretaries to do the job of actual skilled specialist.

6. "Terrible HR and Team-Building Skills"

Former Employee - Translator/Interpreter in Long Island City, NY
    Former Employee - Translator/Interpreter in Long Island City, NY

I worked at New York City Department of Education full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Not many. So glad to no longer be stuck there.

Cons

Low pay, high turnover, dead-end job.

Took the job because it was the only offer I had at the time. Of 10 resumes I sent out this was my last choice and it was the only one to call me back. I needed the work, so I accepted the offer.

The only "reward" for doing exceptional work is getting piled on with more work. The people who work here are entrenched and fear change. If you are a creative thinker, your ideas are shut down.

Use of new technology is highly discouraged. I needed to use a variety of freeware for my job, but was unable to do so because no software can be downloaded to work computers.

There were a variety of HR issues that were communicated to management. His response was anemic and only contributed to the problems festering and becoming worst. Morale is extremely low.

There is no ownership of your work. You work at the mercy of other units and due to internal politics, our unit always got the short end of the stick. Our Director is very knowledgeable in our field and an effective manager from a business perspective, but on a personal and HR-level, he was extremely ineffective.

Should an HR issue arise, you are better off contacting central HR instead of your direct supervisor to ensure that your concerns are addressed.

Advice to Management

Take some HR management classes and apply what is learned to the current environment.

Address HR issues when they are revealed to you.

Confrontation is part of the job as a manager.

7. "teaching assistant"

Current Employee - Teaching Assistant in Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - Teaching Assistant in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at New York City Department of Education full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

great if you love working and learning on the fly

Cons

constant physical injury and administration does nothing

8. "An exhausting bureaucracy."

Current Contractor - Teacher, Visually Impaired in New York, NY
    Current Contractor - Teacher, Visually Impaired in New York, NY

I have been working at New York City Department of Education as a contractor (More than 3 years)

Pros

You can set your own schedule. The work is very interesting.

Cons

They do not pay. The payment office is dismissive, rude, and unhelpful with a lot of attitude. I have just completed four years of work, and have been paid less than 20% of what they owe me.

Advice to Management

Read above.

9. "Teach elsewhere"

I have been working at New York City Department of Education full-time

Pros

You get to work with wonderful children.

Cons

Administrators come and go, know very little about what your job entails, and leave you overworked and extremely stressed.

"Teacher, Secondary Schools"

Current Employee - Teacher, Secondary School in Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - Teacher, Secondary School in Brooklyn, NY

Pros

Relatively decent salary if you can survive long enough to collect it.

Cons

Management which treats all teachers like beginners regardless of experience, students come to school only to socialize and have no interest in higher education. If you work in a large school with decent administrators and good students you can usually get by, but in a small school with incompetent administrators and marginal students most teachers quit or are driven out after a few years.

Advice to Management

U/S rating system worked well for tenured teachers - Danielson is unfair and demoralizing.

Showing 108 of 1,213 reviews