New York City Department of Education Reviews
62% would recommend to a friend
(3976 total reviews)
David C. Banks
62% approve of CEO
Found 3,976 of over 4K reviews
Updated Dec 2, 2023
- Most Recent
- Highest Rating
- Lowest Rating
Top Review Highlights by Sentiment
Excerpts from user reviews, not authored by Glassdoor
- "Good benefits and security to speak put about how you feel and for what you know is right or wrong" (in 428 reviews)
- "I have the ability to make a difference in the lives of special needs children also the pay is good." (in 159 reviews)
- "Because it's salary is good?" (in 114 reviews)
- "You have great benefits and a pension" (in 96 reviews)
- "It's rewarding and get to meet great people" (in 95 reviews)
- "long hours and challenging at times" (in 54 reviews)
- "contract not very stable and management is poor at best." (in 50 reviews)
- "No work life balance Hard to advocate for additional support" (in 44 reviews)
- "Challenging working conditions created in part by structural inequities and exacerbated by poor leadership" (in 39 reviews)
- "Poor communication with other DOE staff." (in 23 reviews)
Ratings by Demographics
This rating reflects the overall rating of New York City Department of Education and is not affected by filters.
- 5.0Nov 16, 2023Student LeadershipCurrent Employee, less than 1 yearBrooklyn, NY
I loved working here. Helped me build up my confidence and breat out of my shyness
There’s no cons. The workplace is great
- 5.0Oct 22, 2023ESL TeacherCurrent Employee, more than 3 yearsBronx, NY
Union protects you so you won't be working crazy hours like at a charter school. You will get breaks. Benefits are excellent.
Curriculum is limited. Students will come with extremely different levels and they expect you to teach them all at the same time through differentiation, which I get, but if you have students on a 2nd grade level in a class with students on a 10th grade level, there is no amount of differentiation which will meet everyone's needs.
New York City Department of Education Reviews FAQs
New York City Department of Education has an overall rating of 3.6 out of 5, based on over 4,373 reviews left anonymously by employees. 62% of employees would recommend working at New York City Department of Education to a friend and 49% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has improved by 1% over the last 12 months.
62% of New York City Department of Education employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated New York City Department of Education 3.3 out of 5 for work life balance, 3.2 for culture and values and 3.6 for career opportunities.