Cover image for New York City Department of Education

New York City Department of Education

Is this your company?

New York City Department of Education

Add a Review

New York City Department of Education Employee Reviews about "benefit"

Updated Oct 6, 2022

Verify your email to use filters. Having problems? Resend email
Found 3,405 of over 4K reviews
3.5
64% Recommend to a Friend
58% Approve of CEO

Found 21 of over 4K reviews

3.5
New York City Department of Education Chancellor 	Carmen Farina (no image)
Carmen Farina

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "Great benefits and pretty laid back(in 386 reviews)
  • "I have the ability to make a difference in the lives of special needs children also the pay is good.(in 142 reviews)
  • "Good salaries for a beginner(in 110 reviews)
  • "Great Benefits & Pension(in 87 reviews)
  • "Great people everywhere in the organization who genuinely care about the work(in 75 reviews)
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of New York City Department of Education and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "benefit"

Return to all Reviews
  1. 5.0
    Former Employee

Para

Oct 6, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Had a great experience with kids.

Cons

Can often be mentally draining

2. 2.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

New Teacher

Sep 8, 2022 - Special Education Teacher in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

You are doing life changing work. You are working with bright and kind people. You can see improvement in children that you helped them reach, even if it's really minor.

Cons

Teaching in the modern day is like having your soul sucked out of you. Overworked, undertrained, overstressed. Add on the difficulties of special education and New York. I also had no idea the difference between D75 and 'regular' special education when I applied--they both seemed the same to me but, while I have loved the kids in D75 in spite their quirks, it's clear that the resources just aren't all the way there, even at the functional ones, and the understanding isn't there at the less functional schools. From a short time in a classroom, it feels obvious to me that one of the biggest changes needed is salary, though I guess I'm speaking what everyone already knows. If I got paid $80k this would be sustainable, at $61k as a new teacher still studying for my master's in this awful economy I can barely afford rent, my subsidized master's, food, and the supplies I need to buy (out of pocket) for my classroom. I am thinking that I will finish up my two year program and then exit to an education policy role to try to fight for this change but when I started my program I was hoping to teach at least 5 years and had dreams of becoming admin. Teachers with more experience easily deserve $100k after the type of inflation the last 20 years (and especially last year) have wrought. Very quickly while working within the system I have had my optimism crushed about the possibility of improvement to our public education systems coming from within. I was naive.

3. 2.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

DOE UPK Teacher

Sep 21, 2022 - Lead Teacher
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good amount of days off, school breaks, and holidays

Cons

Too many unneeded requirements; certification exams that are biased and do not test a teacher's knowledge of what they will be teaching, tests are expensive and do not have to do with anything that matters in the classroom (including subject matter and class management). I took a B-2 math CST and there was algebreic equations and high school geometry on there. -You must get a master's degree and pay for it yourself by a certain time. -Little support, and no autonomy/micromanagement -Unrealistic expectations in the classroom when it comes to too many different learners/behaviors with little support -Large class sizes

4. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 10 years

Lack of support and overworked

Aug 23, 2022 - Special Education Paraprofessional in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

The NYCDOE has good benefits. They will pay for college for an employee under uft 6 credits a semester. The Healthcare plan is the meats and potatoes of the benefits and the welfare fund.

Cons

There isn't flexibility when needing time off. Every vacation is made for you so you are off when everyone else is. They will give high expectations for the students that they can't really do. They need to let teachers teach and stop dictating the curriculum to follow a script when every class is different. The pay is garbage in a city where the cost of living is very high. With every contract the charter schools are looking better. Not to mention they screwed the new employees with the tier 6 pension which would be better if people just opened their own IRA Roth. Tier 6 you pay your pension all the way through sounds like a 401k .

1 person found this review helpful
  5. 4.0
    Former Employee, more than 10 years

NYC DOE

Oct 4, 2022 - Assistant Principal in Bronx, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

Highly integrated environment, where you are working with the needs of others.

Cons

A bureaucratic organization that gets in the way of innovation.

6. 4.0

great

Oct 5, 2022 - Teacher in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

great job working for great pension

Cons

none at all at this company

7. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 8 years

Demanding and rewarding job experience

Oct 2, 2022 - Physical Education Teacher (PE Teacher) in Brooklyn, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

Teaching children is very rewarding. Plenty of time off which is great for raising a family

Cons

City rules seem to change on a whim(but especially since COVID).

8. 5.0

Love it

Oct 3, 2022 - Licensed Master of Social Work
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great pay, lots of time off including summers

Cons

No clinical supervision available in school

9. 5.0

Good Starting Job

Oct 3, 2022 - Sub Teacher in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

Very good starting point to enter teaching field

Cons

Commuting can be difficult, traffic

10. 4.0
    Former Employee, more than 8 years

Paraprofessional

Sep 20, 2022 - Paraprofessional in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

-Great Benefits -Summers off -Good Hours -Pay for your degree/degree assistance -Good Professional Development Classes -You’re in a union -Room for growth

Cons

-Not enough pay -No masters degree assistance -Hard to transfer schools -Need to create mental health days, a lot of staff members especially teachers are burned out -You will spend your own money a lot depending on what school your in

Viewing 1 - 10 of 21 Reviews