New York City Department of Finance Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
CEO

"Group Chief/Tax Audit Supervisor"

Current Employee - Group Chief in Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - Group Chief in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at New York City Department of Finance full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits, work schedule, good people/very approachable, good working environment, interesting tax audit work, no real busy season as the workload is consistent throughout the year. Aging workforce means room for growth for the younger auditors.

Cons

Since 2010, due to an increase in pay and promotional incentives, employee turnover have significantly. But opportunities for advancement to the managerial level with pay in excess of $100k+ are limited.

Advice to Management

Seek better training, educating employees on current tax laws at all levels of gov't. Reward superstar auditors who resolve cases with assessments in excess of $5+ million.

"Tax Auditor"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at New York City Department of Finance full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Friendly co-workers and support staff. I have made several good friends at this office. Almost everyone tries to get along and make it a pleasant workplace.

Free health insurance. If you have a family, then this is a great and vital benefit. Copays and deductibles have recently increased, but we still don't pay monthly premiums.

40 hour work week (at least in theory). Generally, you don't have to work late nights and very rarely work on weekends.

Great opportunity to network and learn about different businesses in NYC (if you work in the business tax units). You meet many respected tax lawyers and CPAs. You get to learn how NYC businesses operate and their various tax planning strategies. It's great exposure for a tax career.

Cons

Very adversarial relationship with senior management. Auditors are often treated like inmates in an asylum, instead of like honest professionals.
    Auditors are regularly threatened with termination, fines, and even criminal prosecution. Any mistake or misunderstanding can have dire consequences, especially if managers are trying to get rid of you anyway. It has become very stressful to work here, especially for this level of pay.

No telecommuting. Senior management is adamantly opposed to working from home. This is a stark difference from auditors working with the federal or state government and private sector, where telecommuting is encouraged. If you have a chronic illness or child care responsibilities, then this job will be very difficult. They simply won't let you work from home, even if it's very easy to do so. It's difficult to raise children while working here...not much flexibility.

Bad union representation. Our labor union (dc37) is useless and corrupt. The union does almost nothing except collect dues from your paycheck, about $80 per month. It's very easy for the Department to fire someone; the union provides almost no protection.

Advice to Management

Encourage a more collaborative work environment. Auditors should work in teams and be able to depend on managers for guidance. Almost all auditors at the DOF are honest, professional and nice. There is no need for management to be so suspicious and distrustful of us.
    Excessive micromanaging and reviews has made it very difficult to get our work done and close cases. Seeking perfection is the greatest obstacle to progress. Auditors need to have discretion to close a case and move on. If we miss something, then so be it. We're not homeland security or child services. Our job is not life or death for anyone.

Supervisors and Directors should be experts in their field, with a thorough knowledge of the tax laws and regs. Many auditors are left to fend for themselves because their supervisors/directors don't know the subject matter.

Directors/supervisors must have good social skills. Too many of them are anti-social and introverted with no leadership or people skills.
    I think directors/supervisors should have to undergo a psychological evaluation before they are put in charge of a team of auditors.

3. "Computer Systems Manager"

Current Employee - Computer Systems Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at New York City Department of Finance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, good work times, opportunity to learn

Cons

takes ages to do or get anything done

Advice to Management

There is no immigration policy in place or an immigration team. Pleasemake policies and teams more transparent

5. "Finance Intern"

Current Employee - Finance Intern in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Finance Intern in New York, NY

Pros

Chill environment, flexible hours, understanding supervisors

Cons

Hard to move up here

6. "City Government Job"

Current Employee - Computer Systems Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at New York City Department of Finance full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Stability, Challenges, Great People, Pension, Long Career

Cons

None to speak of in my case

Advice to Management

No advice to speak of.

7. "Interesting work with other well educated people."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at New York City Department of Finance full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Worked with several other PhDs on topics of interest with discernible impact on NYC residents. We had an incredible amount of exposure to upper level management (e.g. - Deputy Commissioner and Commissioner). Much of our work was actually implemented, which is a rare outcome.

Cons

Unsustainable cost of living accretion relative to salary growth. The relationship with the unions is somewhat unfortunate in that there was an unnecessary level of acrimony between permanent and provisional members. Nevertheless, if your skin isn't thick enough to handle that, you probably won't remain in the five boroughs anyhow.

8. "great job"

Former Employee - Press Officer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Press Officer in New York, NY

I worked at New York City Department of Finance part-time (More than a year)

Pros

able to move up quickly

Cons

the benefits are not strong

Advice to Management

seek employment there

9. "Depends on who you know and if you have support"

Current Employee - Computer Systems Analyst in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Computer Systems Analyst in New York, NY

I have been working at New York City Department of Finance full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I've learned a lot from the intelligent people working at Finance.

Cons

The organization doesn't allow merit raises, expects and receives the best of its' employees and pays new people and consultants very very well while using the excuse of "let's see how you do in this position" to avoid giving heir current employees appropriate raises for their hard work.

10. "Interesting work of which you may be proud."

Former Employee - Statistician in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Statistician in New York, NY

I worked at New York City Department of Finance full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working for DOF you have the opportunity to engage senior officials in projects impacting NYC residents' quality of life. The experience is incredibly gratifying.

Cons

Limited potential for growth within the organization without first exiting. DC37.

Advice to Management

As you do not have the ability to offer your employees much in the way of internal growth opportunities, and the cost of living growth rate greatly exceeds income growth, you need to find a way to incent retention.

11. "Depends on what you want"

Current Employee - City Tax Auditor in New York, NY
    Current Employee - City Tax Auditor in New York, NY

Pros

Great work life balance and PTO. Pension plus benefits also great. If you choose family and family benefits over your own personal goals and salary, I would recommend this job.

Cons

Pay is on low end but they expect quality work still. Lots of micromanaging and also lots of abuse of the system from other co-workers. Lot of people have been jaded through out the years of bad pay and bad management.

Advice to Management

Higher pay to keep employees happy and to make the work worth doing