New York City Department of Health & Mental Hygiene "red tape" Reviews | Glassdoor

New York City Department of Health & Mental Hygiene Employee Reviews about "red tape"

Updated Nov 24, 2019

3.6
New York City Department of Health & Mental Hygiene Commissioner Mary Travis Bassett
Mary Travis Bassett
Pros
Cons
  • "Some of the red tape can be infuriating(in 12 reviews)

• "Not much room for growth; you kind of stay in the position you're hired for unless an official opening for a more senior position comes up around(in 10 reviews)

Reviews about "red tape"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Emergency Preparedness Specialist"

Current Employee - Director in Long Island City, NY

I have been working at New York City Department of Health & Mental Hygiene full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Rewarding work, highly intelligent and fast paced environment, opportunity for advancement

Cons

Government red tape, lower salaries than in the private sector, occasional burnout.

New York City Department of Health & Mental Hygiene2018-03-28
  2. "Chill Environment"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer

I have been working at New York City Department of Health & Mental Hygiene full-time for less than a year

Pros

Chill people for the most part Time off provided for off-site training

Cons

Can be very political Connections mean everything Lots of red tape and bureaucracy PTO accrues extremely slowly Low salary

New York City Department of Health & Mental Hygiene2019-11-25
  3. "Interesting but government"

Current Employee - Research Scientist

Pros

Good mentors, research projects, room to grow and be creative

Cons

Bureaucracy. At times working around the red tape is difficult

New York City Department of Health & Mental Hygiene2019-08-22
  4. "Great Benefits"

Former Employee - Health Services Manager

I worked at New York City Department of Health & Mental Hygiene full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good pension plan. State of the art computer system

Cons

Promotions are based friendships and not based on what you can bring to the table. Employees don’t have a saying. Too much red tape.

New York City Department of Health & Mental Hygiene2019-03-29
  5. "Progressive Workplace, with some headaches"

Current Employee - Research Scientist

Pros

The DOHMH prides itself on taking progressive stances on working to affect the health and well-being of New Yorkers. Good opportunities for growth and finding a work group that you fit in with.

Cons

Some divisions have more bureaucratic than others--giving some the impression that they are actually working against the agency's interest. Some of the red tape can be infuriating.

New York City Department of Health & Mental Hygiene2019-02-01

"Excellent benefits, lots of bureaucracy"

Current Employee - EMR Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at New York City Department of Health & Mental Hygiene full-time for more than a year

Pros

Medical dental vision benefits Deferred comp and retirement HSA and union Ive got a great manager and coworkers Location is perfect for me and lots of new buildings going up We've gotten a lot of funding but who knows how long that will last given the way our tangerine in chief is running things. Im paid well for this particular role.

Cons

Lots of red tape. Can take forever to get promoted. Things often dont make sense. Interview and hiring will take months especially if ur coming from outside the agency. In my role im basically what the rest of the world calls a business analyst. People cant make up their minds half the time or they change their minds after they've given me a final decision. Project management is not ideal at all. People dont think through how theyre implementing their own programs so when the emr isnt doing what they expect its a huge problem. And its hard to fire people who aren't doing their job.

New York City Department of Health & Mental Hygiene2017-03-15

"City Research Scientist - great place to undertake cutting edge public sector work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Long Island City, NY

I worked at New York City Department of Health & Mental Hygiene full-time for more than a year

Pros

+ Importance of job cannot be understated (protecting health of US's largest, most diverse city with correspondingly diverse health issues) + Position well-respected in field + Wide variety of work and decent amenities/perks (fitness classes, free health insurance)

Cons

- People above often do not have to be as hard-working/qualified due to tenure-driven structure - Slow pace of work (after all, it is a government job) and IT/other red tape and bureaucracy may discourage some - Attractiveness of pension reduced dramatically recently, with salaries already well below private-sector equivalent

New York City Department of Health & Mental Hygiene2016-11-07
  8. "A ton of red tape"

Program Coordinator in Long Island City, NY

I have been working at New York City Department of Health & Mental Hygiene

Pros

Interesting work, great projects. Extremely supportive Commissioner in Dr. Bassett.

Cons

Tons of red tape that can make it extremely difficult to get things done. Prepare yourself for the bureaucracy.

New York City Department of Health & Mental Hygiene2016-09-13
  9. "Project Manager"

in Long Island City, NY

I worked at New York City Department of Health & Mental Hygiene for more than 3 years

Pros

Wonderful work environment, friendly staff.

Cons

Lots of red tape, difficult to get a promotion.

New York City Department of Health & Mental Hygiene2015-04-22

"Business Analyst"

Business Analyst in New York, NY

I have been working at New York City Department of Health & Mental Hygiene

Pros

Friendly environment, I enjoy what I do.

Cons

Too much red tape to get anything done.

New York City Department of Health & Mental Hygiene2015-03-07