New York Community Bancorp Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated April 10, 2017

Full-time Part-time

2.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
New York Community Bancorp Chairman, President, and CEO; President, CEO and Director, New York Community Bank Joseph R. Ficalora
Joseph R. Ficalora

Pros
  • Good work life balance; great place for friendship (in 7 reviews)

• Work environment is positive as well as the people working for this company (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • No room to grow, only for in-branch positions (in 9 reviews)

• pour human resource department not enough room for growth (in 5 reviews)

1. "Great Workplace Great Experience"

Current Employee - Financial Services Associate in New Hyde Park, NY
    Current Employee - Financial Services Associate in New Hyde Park, NY

I have been working at New York Community Bancorp part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Valuable experiences. Decent incentives for part timers going to college(CAP Program). In some cases, I'm sure that everyone may not have the best coworkers but it is what you decide to make of it.

Cons

Sales and Service work can be a bit excessive at times and will tend to pile up sometimes. However, with a bit of extra focus it shouldn't be much of a problem.

Advice to Management

Some policies and procedures change a bit too often.

2. "FSA"

Current Employee - Fsa in Staten Island, NY
    Current Employee - Fsa in Staten Island, NY

I have been working at New York Community Bancorp part-time (More than a year)

Pros

They employees are friendly and hard working.

Cons

They require each employee to take numerous test each quarter. They also waste a lot of paper when things can be saved electronically.

3. "Teller"

Former Employee - Bank Teller in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Bank Teller in New York, NY

I worked at New York Community Bancorp full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great coworkers. Benefits are good. Room for advancement. They invest shares in stocks for you even if you leave the company.

Cons

Pay isn't that great. If they downsize, your job is not guaranteed and they will send you to other banks

"Financial Services Representative"

Current Employee - Financial Services Associate in Nassau, NY
    Current Employee - Financial Services Associate in Nassau, NY

I have been working at New York Community Bancorp full-time (More than a year)

Pros

it's a job and they pretty much hire anyone

Cons

Where do I even begin? The training is poorly done and a lot of potential employees are lost due to failing the training course. Banking in general is not fully explained during training and the focus is mostly on the mechanics of processing transactions and selling products. In the branch you are required to constantly push products to each and every customer you assist. Back office has the ability to watch our every move through the security cameras. You are forced to clock in and out for your shift and lunch and are only allotted 30 minutes for lunch regardless of whether you are working an 8 or 10 hour day. The amount of work you are given to do for the amount of pay is disproportional. The intranet is not user-friendly and trying to find procedural information and forms is time consuming. This bank is not environmentally conscious because the amount of paper used is ridiculous. Many of the popular promotional products are not included in the incentive program or have transaction or balance restrictions for which you will not receive the incentive.

Advice to Management

Favoritism needs to stop and start paying your employees a real salary. They are expected to do so much and will not be motivated if they are not compensated for their efforts.

"Not a professional company"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Cleveland, OH

I worked at New York Community Bancorp full-time

Pros

They have a pool of talented employees. But the management is disoriented and lacks focus.

Cons

Very unprofessional, unethical environment

They pay you 10% more that you want, but, make you work 150%.

No work life balance.

Advice to Management

Can be little professional.

7. "Branch Manager"

Current Employee - Branch Operations Coordinator in Iselin, NJ
    Current Employee - Branch Operations Coordinator in Iselin, NJ

Pros

Great Benefits
    Growth opportunity
    Great Company
    Great co-workers

Cons

hard to take time off
    micro managed
    RMT is disrespectful to employees

Advice to Management

Stop micro managing and start treating employees with respect.

"I think prison is better than this place"

Former Employee - Financial Services Associate in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Financial Services Associate in New York, NY

I worked at New York Community Bancorp part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

None. Wait, let me think, none.

Well, I made a couple friends. But we don't talk outside work, and 'making friends' doesn't pay the bills or put food on the table.

Cons

1. You'd 100% make more money flipping burgers. My supervisor who's worked for 2 years makes $15-$17 an hour full time. So I don't know how they pay their bills or buy toilet paper.
    2. Bank itself is so old fashion. My entire branch doesn't have a SINGLE card reader. Like.... hello? I mean. I don't even know.
    3. Training was tedious and ridiculous. You go through a 7 day training or whatever. Which is great, the fact that they actually invest in training and development. BUT. If you increase the bank teller(FSA)'s pay #1, you wouldn't have to keep hiring new people, due to the HIGH turnover rate. My instructor was lovely but she needs to just not take this too seriously. Yes, if you fail the training, you can't even be a bank teller. Again. Pretty pathetic, as you don't really need much knowledge to operate as a bank teller in the first place. Other banks training is way easier and less stressful.
    4. My branch and assistant managers were horrendous. But I guess they were just 'doing their job' you know, they just follow the rules. And they probably hated the place even more than the tellers. So I can look past that.
    5. The only people working there (10-20 years), are the ones who have no where else to go.
    5.a. Technically I had a couple coworkers who hold bachelors degree. So I don't know what possessed them to work and continue working there for several years.
    6. Anyway. Since I mentioned there is no card reader nonsense, each transaction you make is so painstaking. Deposits, withdrawals, bank checks, everything. Let's not even get into opening bank accounts and all the other crap you have to do.
    7. As a 'part timer' my maximum was 25 hours a week, no overtime no nothing. So just think about how cheap they are.
    8. You will never, ever. Be able to transition from branch to corporate back office. Your managers will 'encourage you to apply', but trust me, you will never hear back from those back office position. And if you have a low self esteem manager, he/she will try to basically convince you to apply for another bank teller full time job/closer to home/bigger branch or whatever instead of back office, because they don't want you to move up, and they want you stuck in the branch system forever with them.
    9. Honestly if you do work with tellers who's had decades of experience, life will be easy because they basically know everything and anything and will help each other out.
    10. We've got to set goals every morning and print out a billion paper for recording whatever every evening before we close, count the cash, count the bank checks, count the everything, while your branch and assistant manager just hang out with each other the entire day and talk about hair and nails and sweaters and whatever. Yup. You're basically doing all the work, and they're getting all the pay.
    11. Once a month or whatever you'll have a 6am meeting where your branch manager basically sit everyone down and tell everyone that you guys have been getting zero clients and you're an embarrassment, and forcing you guys to get clients (I really don't know how you can improve this) and how many checking, savings, business, credit card accounts you need to open, with ZERO reward. You get points for opening accounts but the points don't amount to anything, except a $10 gift card from chipotle or whatever.

Now that I've gotten everything off my chest....
    Basically. What I'm trying to say is, if you're looking for a low paying, mechanical job, where you're just going to hate your life everyday. By all means. Come join this company.

Advice to Management

Why hasn't this bank shut down yet?
    Be honest with your applicants about how mundane, tedious, ridiculous, unfriendly and awful, the job and place is.

"Very slow bank"

Former Employee - Financial Service Associate in Pembroke Pines, FL
    Former Employee - Financial Service Associate in Pembroke Pines, FL

I worked at New York Community Bancorp part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people I worked with were very helpful to me when I started.

Cons

The bank is a small one. Since not too many people come in daily. I spent alot of my free time reading articles online. The position is mundane. Our office was also located near a retirement home so the customers were mainly ederdly people so the the pace of everything was slow

"Not the best."

Former Employee - Fsa Sos in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Fsa Sos in New York, NY

I worked at New York Community Bancorp full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits, as SOS paid miles, under right management the jobs is not terrible because your coworkers make it worth it. Not the job.

Cons

Management, everything always changes, they dont care about their employees, no overtime, if you go over your hours they have a fit and you need to send an email explaining WHY AND HOW you managed to squeeze 2 seconds past 40 hours, and still wont get paid as overtime.. youll get paid your same rate. I went over my time because i got food poisoning on my lunch, and so did my coworker, mind you theres one bathroom, im throwing up and he's quivering to go use the toilet. We managed to close up on our own in those terrible conditions. Yet management told us that it wasnt a good enough reason to go over my time. VERY ANAL about scheduling, if youre scheduled to 25-29 hours, "its a yearly average of 25-29 hours" (words from a manager). So if one week you hit 29, the next you have to take about 27 hours, if under the wrong management you will have a terrible time. Manager pretty much bullied me when i first started. Had a terrible time.

Advice to Management

Your employees need to be happy.. not just your customers. Your employees make your customers happy. You need to better accomodate them, too. Be more careful who you appoint into management and how they treat their staff. Sales doesnt mention EVERYTHING about a branch.

11. "A good job while studying"

Former Employee - Financial Services Associate in Roslyn, NY
    Former Employee - Financial Services Associate in Roslyn, NY

I worked at New York Community Bancorp full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent pay, and good training.
    Don't expect too much of a learning experience, this is your regular 9-5 gig.
    A good way to have something on your resume before graduation and looking for a career.

Cons

Do not expect to move from the branch to corporate, it's impossible.
    The highest position you'll be able to attain is assistant manager at a branch.

Advice to Management

Groom motivated people, if I get a degree, you should give me an opportunity to move up, not keep me in a branch, wasting my time.