New York Community Bancorp "nycb" Reviews | Glassdoor

Create your profile to get personalized information

New York Community Bancorp Employee Reviews about "nycb"

Updated Jul 4, 2019

2.9
New York Community Bancorp Chairman, President, and CEO; President, CEO and Director, New York Community Bank Joseph R. Ficalora
Joseph R. Ficalora
Pros
  • "NYCB is a really tight knit group of workers who will do everything they can to make sure you succeed at the company(in 13 reviews)

• "Collegial work environment and atmosphere(in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • "NYCB does not offer work/life balance and the benefits are horrible(in 14 reviews)

• "No room for advancement and they do not make you feel very appreciated(in 12 reviews)

Reviews about "nycb"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "NYCB is an employee friendly place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at New York Community Bancorp full-time for more than a year

Pros

NYCB cares about its employees and takes time to develop their careers.

Cons

nothing but good things to say about NYCB - great people, great culture

New York Community Bancorp2016-10-18
  2. "Benefits are not good"

Former Employee - Loan Coordinator in Hicksville, NY

I worked at New York Community Bancorp full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Study Mon thru fri work hours

Cons

No flexibility. NYCB does not offer work/life balance and the benefits are horrible

Advice to Management

NYCB is a for profit bank that cares more about their stock holders pockets than the actual business and employees.

New York Community Bancorp2019-07-05
  3. "Overall A Great Place to Work"

Former Employee - Seasonal Employee in Cleveland, OH

I worked at New York Community Bancorp full-time for less than a year

Pros

NYCB is a really tight knit group of workers who will do everything they can to make sure you succeed at the company. If you work hard, it doesn't go unnoticed.

Cons

Due to the small size of the bank and the regulations imposed on banks of this size, there isn't a lot of room for growth.

New York Community Bancorp2019-02-11

"Customer Service Represntative"

I worked at New York Community Bancorp full-time

Pros

there are no pros to workinf for NYCB

Cons

Push for sales had you selling same products to same people you already knew didn't want them. But if branch manager didn't hear you offer you would get written up. Little no room for growth. Don't care about employees at all everyone is a number.

New York Community Bancorp2017-10-24
  5. "Worst place to work for-Call Center Employeee"

I worked at New York Community Bancorp full-time

Pros

There is slight room for growth but only in branches.

Cons

I worked for NYCB for a long time and it was the absolute worst experience I've had with a company more so towards the end. I work at the call center and the management there is TERRIBLE. favoritism is very high there between management and staff. All the managers do is gossip about each other and are too lazy to get anything done on time. Worst part is that HR knows of all the issues at the call center and have... done nothing to fix it. They never work with your time off requests and always expect you to come in and work extra hours but never will work with you in return. They expect you to work weekends and holidays. I would not recommend working here unless you enjoy kissing managements butts all the time and brown nosing your way to the top. And that's ONLY if they even like you.

Advice to Management

Learn how to train your managers to actually be precessional and do their jobs properly. Too much drama.

New York Community Bancorp2017-04-11

"Information technology"

I worked at New York Community Bancorp full-time

Pros

Good Benefits NYCB Theater Good Health Insurance

Cons

Huge lay offs low raises no real opportunity for advancement

New York Community Bancorp2017-01-18

"This employer is not recommended"

Former Employee - Vice President in Avon, OH

I worked at New York Community Bancorp full-time for more than a year

Pros

The employees at NYCB work as a team and are very proficient in their responsibilities. Everyone works together to meet executive managements unrealistic goals.

Cons

All aspects of the bank are micro-managed by executive management in New York. There is no training and management is quick to write up employees for minor mistakes while the errors on the part of executive management are ignored. Many of the operational errors are due to managements lack of staff training and they hire unqualified staff. There is no 401(k) match. The requirement that employees take 2... consecutive weeks vacation is very detrimental to operations of the bank and difficult on the employees. This requirement is generally not disclosed to potential employees during the interview process. The bank does not pay bonuses and the benefits are not very good. Some representations made during the interview process are not complied with by management after the employee is hired. Managers do not have access staff salaries, employment histories or departmental budgets. Executive management will not permit staff to take vacation during audits. Executive management requires managers to work 60+ hours per week. This is never disclosed in the interview process. I would not recommend anyone work for NYCB.

Advice to Management

Stop micro-managing every aspect of the daily operations. Let your managers manage their teams. Permit managers to allocate and manage staff salaries. Management needs to be more respectful of the employees, improve benefits, institute a 401(k) match and drop the 2 consecutive week vacation requirement for staff in states where it is not a regulatory requirement. There needs to be a work life balance.

New York Community Bancorp2016-11-04

"WORST COMPANY AND WORST BANK EVER"

Mortgage in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at New York Community Bancorp

Pros

I honestly cannot say there is anything good about this company. It is the worst place I have ever worked.

Cons

Everyone there is title driven --- there are so many VP levels it's absolutely ridiculous. There's Asst VP's to 1st, 2nd, Senior, 1st Senior, Executive VP. Half those are the equivalent to a senior manager title. With this title it comes with the VP's ego that is bigger than the building. They talk down and treat lower end employees like they don't matter. Work life balance is absolutely the worst. They have a... work at home policy and if you are not in the VP category or have a good relation with your Mgr - don't count on working from home ever. Even though these "requirements" are not listed anywhere in the policy. It's more or less these VPs abusing their status and power. PTO is awful if you are not an exempt employee. And requesting off is difficult - I feel like if you request off work its a sin there. Sorry most employees have a life outside of work and need a break of the hell that is NYCB. I have also noticed that women are treated differently here. I feel like it's a Men's Club in most departments. They do not invite women to their lunch outings or anything like that. The raises are terrible. You are lucky to get 3% if you bust your butt and prove that you do work. They will pick on EVERY SINGLE MISTAKE YOU DO WRONG. You could forget to attach a form to an email and they will start a paper trail on you to make sure you do not get a higher salary. Which is absolutely disgraceful that an employer will not promote from within. They give you these lies - "it's not in the budget" ------ BUT ~ then you see these VPs getting picked up in Limos and being taking out to lunch at 5 star restaurants with their corporate card. However, they will never give you higher than 3% raise?! Something doesn't add up there. The holiday parties at the bank are awful - they serve you the equivalent to a cafeteria lunch that I would not even want my own child to have - and many employees have gotten sick of the food. I mean we are a bank --- can't you splurge and thank your employees with a good lunch/dinner or cocktail party? THEY ONLY HAVE THIS KIND OF PARTY FOR VP's - anyone else see something wrong with this? WORST COMPANY EVER!

Advice to Management

Most of management needs training in how to treat people. Need to go back to basics and treat employees with respect and courtesy. This isn't the army I do not need to have orders barked at me or be micro managed. We are all adults and need to be treated fairly. It amazes me how HR doesn't see that good employees keep leaving and nothing is being done to upper management to promote retention. This is why NYCB's... turnover is so high. It's not rocket science, but yet VPs keep getting more perks and the worker bee's get hardly anything.

New York Community Bancorp2016-07-25

"BSA Department"

Current Employee - Senior BSA/AML Analyst in Hicksville, NY

Pros

Pretty easy commute - LIRR is easily accessible. A lot of great and friendly people in the NYCB Community. Decent work-life balance.

Cons

Health benefits could be better and don't start until you've been with the company for 3 months. No match on 401K. You have to wait 6 months to use vacation time.

New York Community Bancorp2016-06-15

"Good Company to work for."

Financial Services Associate in Westbury, NY

I have been working at New York Community Bancorp for more than a year

Pros

I really have no complaints about working for NYCB. The management team truly cares about all of its team members. The benefits are much better than some other companies offer.

Cons

I don't have any complaints or any Cons to list about NYCB. I relocated to a city where there wasn't a branch where I be able to transfer to.

New York Community Bancorp2015-09-21