New York Foundation for Senior Citizens Reviews | Glassdoor

1. "Nice place to work"

Current Employee - Case Manager
    Current Employee - Case Manager

I have been working at New York Foundation for Senior Citizens full-time

Pros

The overall atmosphere of working here is nice. It's quiet and no one bothers us so we are able to get our work done. I was actually surprised reading some of the reviews because some of the complaints seem like an extreme exaggeration from those who should never have been working in this field in the first place. When working for a non-profit, especially in an office with 20 people, you shouldn't expect to have your own personal office, since most of the money is going towards helping the clients. DFTA requires us to monitor our clients because as case managers that is our job, and we are responsible for ensuring their safety once we are hired. The office sometimes has potlucks and parties and the director tries her best to always keep the office morale positive. It's nice to work in a place where you feel like your supervisors actually care about you and want to help make your experience better. The flexible schedule and ability to schedule our own visits is also a major plus.

Cons

The work can sometimes get hectic when many clients all have needs at once. However, our ability to make our own schedule which is very flexible allows us to get it all done at our own pace.

Advice to Management

Hopefully the agency will be able to hire new case managers soon, especially bilingual ones, as we do have some clients that are unassigned.

2. "Case Manager - April 2017"

Current Employee - Case Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Case Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at New York Foundation for Senior Citizens full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The only reason some people go into this terrible agency is because they claim to offer 43,175 annually but once you start to work with them the accounting Dept will tell you ... " the fiscal year is almost ending therefore; you are not yet entitle to what we agreed to pay you (43,175 annually) but 146 dollars less from your paycheck and this does not include the taxes which is much more based on your fake income..

Cons

Please stay away from this " agency"!!!

They don't have a HR department
    They don't provide you with any training and will send you to court to be embarrassed by judges
    Every case manager complaints about their caseload which is 46 or more intensive cases
    Supervisors are never in the office if you have any question
    Supervisors will utilize you as a puppet and send you to client's homes even when you could not have time to read client's history/diagnosis
    You will not be able to finish until after 5PM and won't be able to take your 1 hour lunch break
    In order to get reimbursed with your $ 121 dollars monthly metro card , you have to complete a form showing the names of clients/locations you went to.... since you have so much work, you wont be able to complete this form
    They do not provide any information about sick days, PTO, life insurance ect
    There is no space in any of the offices... they use an old computer system and don't have space for files
    You will be able to notice that every case manager is in the "resigning process"
    They will ask you to do things without training such as " Appendix A" about clients you don't know and do not belong to your caseload
    If you lost the working cellphone, you will have to pay it back
    There is only one copy machine for about 25 people in this program
    You will have to email your schedule every morning before 9:15 AM to a group of people including your supervisor
    Almost everyone talks bad about their supervisors....
    Some supervisors will send you to do 5 home visits in one day, if you don't have a car be ready to kill yourself!
    Pay attention that during the interview they cannot provide you with a job description because they don't have one...

This agency does not have structure, space, air to breath.... Supervisors and Director don't care about their employees complaints or dissatisfaction.

I feel sorry for those clients who report that they are missing some of their previous funds. It's not clear if supervisors steal client's funds or the agency itself keep them...
    Also, you will notice that supervisors will claim " client became irate and I had to hospitalize her/him" This is because the transition from the ER to the nursing home is easier and supervisors don't have to care intensively for the client when the nursing home is taking care of the client...

Good Luck for those who are willing to compromise their health and mental stability!

Advice to Management

Everything in this agency located at 11 park place NY, NY 11th FL has to be reorganized, fixed, modified....

3. "stay away"

Former Employee - Case Manager
    Former Employee - Case Manager

Pros

The clients' appreciation for your help is the only great thing. Flexibility to schedule your field days are also good, but not enough to make everything is worth it.

Cons

We have no personal space. Think about a computer lab in your old high school--this is exactly how we sit. We breathe on each other, bump into each other's chairs all the time. Why doesn't upper management arrange a new office? Because they don't care about their employees. I find it incredible that the workplace is so strained that we even have a mini fridge, no kitchen or lunch room. Secondly, DFTA requires us to treat our clients as babies and there is constant monitoring them for silly reasons.

The organization is highly understaffed due to so many employees leaving each month. It is not common for 10 people to leave within a few months. That says it all. The supervisors are not all the same and some are much better than others. There are cliques and gossip sometimes, although mostly everyone is cordial with each other. The work is sometimes stressful, especially because of the understaffed issue and upper management taking 10 years to hire new people. We are constantly badgered to help with work that is not particularly our responsibility. -Again, If we even had a cubicle maybe it make everything better.

Advice to Management

get a new office space, check your supervisory staff's mannerisms more often .

4. "It has its ups and downs..."

I worked at New York Foundation for Senior Citizens full-time

Pros

The position allows you to touch on many different realms of social work including housing, legal, and benefits. Although the position is 9-5, it requires you to conduct field visits to each of your clients monthly. You schedule these visits, so it is often at your discretion when you are in the office or the field. All in all, a great job to gain experience in the field.

Cons

The court system has begun using the guardianship programs as housing programs. With increasing frequency, cases are coming in that are not really in need of guardianship, but rather are in need of eviction prevention/relocation when the client is living in on a limited income in NYC that has limited low-income housing.

Case Loads have also been increasing in recent months.

Although there is an accounting department, benefits specialist, housing department, etc., there is an over reliance on the Case Manager to fulfill aspects of these realms.

Summation: Although it's a great job to get experience in the field, it is also an easy job to burn yourself out.

Advice to Management

More of a focus on supporting Case Management from other departments, as well as a higher level of accountability of other departments, would greatly benefit both the Case Managers and client services.

"Interesting organization to work for."

Current Employee - N/A in New York, NY
    Current Employee - N/A in New York, NY

I have been working at New York Foundation for Senior Citizens full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Helping the clients is the best part about this job.

Cons

No direct deposit and when you receive your check on a Thursday you cannot cash it until Friday. Upper management only cares about money and that is it. For this organization to be named the New York Foundation for senior citizens, is a joke. They offer medical benefits at no cost to the employee, dental cost, but not that much, vision is cheap, ER Visit is $500.00. No tuition reimbursement, no retirement plan, no personal days only 10 sick days, 10-15 vacation days, no other benefits. Salaries are not good even with experience for front line staff. Stressful work, with at times stressful clients.

Advice to Management

Get new management, revamp the organization. Starting promoting staff, offer direct deposit, this is 2014 after all.

"The New York Foundation for Senior Citizens is NOT a wonderful organization and deserves no support"

Former Employee - Case Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Case Manager in New York, NY

I worked at New York Foundation for Senior Citizens full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

It's difficult to identify any pros to working at the New York Foundation for Senior Citizens. While the work is important and meaningful, similar work can be found elsewhere, at agencies that are more effectively, and equitably, run and managed.

Cons

- Overpaid leadership, underpaid staff. The President of the Foundation makes almost $500,000 (if not more) per year and receives yearly bonuses and substantial yearly salary increases, while lower level staff barely make a living wage (especially given its location in NYC) and do not receive yearly bonuses and only rarely receive cost of living increases! Another example, the "Interior Designer" is also a member of the Board, and this person earns more in that part-time capacity than do many full-time staff.
    - Difficult work, lack of employee support. Staff are expected to deal with extremely difficult clients in challenging situations in a resource-constrained environment, all without adequate support from the organization. For example, requests for security accompaniment while conducting home visits in dangerous parts of the city were heavily scrutinized and often denied.
    - Uninterested in the employee experience. NYFSC treats employees as if they're entirely unimportant and completely replaceable. If you're interested in working somewhere that doesn't really care about you, then this is the place!

Advice to Management

Remove most, if not all, of NYFSC leadership, from VPs to the Board.

7. "Horrible Work Atmosphere"

I have been working at New York Foundation for Senior Citizens full-time

Pros

The company pays for all health benefits and they are understanding about family obligations.

Cons

I have worked there for over four years. There is no room for promotion, raises are never given only to people in authority, and the Vice President never regulates his employees. Upper management is more concerned about serving themselves and working for themselves.

Advice to Management

There needs to be authority within the office.

"Poorly run non-profit"

Former Employee - Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Employee in New York, NY

I worked at New York Foundation for Senior Citizens full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The pros of working at NYFSCGS include meaningful work. The organization assists some of the most vulnerable citizens of New York City, who would otherwise be profoundly at risk. You will make a real difference in the lives of some really interesting people.

Cons

I strenuously recommend against working at New York Foundation for Senior Citizens Guardian Services, Inc. The work is difficult, and there is limited employee support, including no Human Resources department to which complaints, concerns, etc. can be escalated, and absolutely no career development opportunities. Additionally, the pay for most employees is extremely low, while upper management (VP and above) earn substantial salaries that are inflated given the budget of the organization and out of line with industry best practices.

Advice to Management

Management is not interested in hearing feedback from employees, former employees, or even paid consultants!