New York ISO Reviews | Glassdoor

3.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends
New York ISO President and CEO Brad Jones
Brad Jones

Pros
  • Good base pay for Albany area, good benefits (in 5 reviews)

• The benefits package is excellent and rivals many of the other "best places" to work in the Capital Region (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • There are many issues that got lost in middle management (in 2 reviews)

• Senior management is out of touch with most daily activities (in 2 reviews)

1. "If you want to learn and lead."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rensselaer, NY

I have been working at New York ISO full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Full of very intelligent people.
    Challenging and friendly environment.
    If you want to learn, this is the place for you.
    Proactivity is greatly encouraged.
    Huge growth opportunities.

Cons

You have to be really passionate about electricity. It's highly specialized, so if you are not that much into the field, you probably won't feel as comfortable.

Advice to Management

Keep it up! Setting expections and communicating are really important for teamwork. Also, offering growth opportunities help keep your team motivated! Make sure everyone is well aware of his/her possibilities.

Nov 21, 2016 – VP of Human Resources

Thank you for your feedback. We love hearing good things from our employees! - Josette

"Scared for the future"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rensselaer, NY

I have been working at New York ISO full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company does important work for New York and the benefits are pretty good. The company wants to improve but they seem to be words.

Cons

Management can't get out of its way. They have the change adverse managers running the company that keep adding processes for the sake of being able to control things. There is no empowerment here or trust. I was hopeful but loosing faith based on recent decisions.

Advice to Management

Take some risks and bring in new people. Get rid of some of the dinosaurs.

Mar 20, 2017 – Manager, Talent Acquisition & Engagement

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback - Sarah

"OK place to start, but great place to retire."

Former Employee - Software Developer in Albany, NY
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Albany, NY

I worked at New York ISO full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent and comprehensive benefits package. Work hours are pretty standard and will support a good balance if you have a family.

Cons

Overall benefits and culture seems to benefit an older work force with families over talented recent college grads.

Advice to Management

Allow for more customization in the benefits packages and paths to rapid career growth

Feb 8, 2017 – VP of Human Resources

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. - Josette

"Great place to work with talented people, Great Benefits"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rensselaer, NY

I have been working at New York ISO full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great pay, Great Benefits. Brad Jones, the new CEO is really changing the culture at the NYISO. He is a great guy that will meet with anyone and can be seen near the free Starbucks station in the morning now and then. He often schedules an hour Coffee with Brad where you have an open discussion. In IT we do get to use and deploy the best technologies. The have a full cafeteria with a variety with the option of making good and bad food decisions. There are plenty of training opportunities. They have recently offered the opportunity for an employee to sit with an employee from a complete different department to get an idea of what they do, how they can help each other out, but also to consider if that is a job opportunity that they may interested.

Cons

In IT there is some stress involved, Especially due to the nature of our business. There is a lot of management for a small company. In a 500+ employee company, I have 3 people above me before the CIO. There is a sense of entitlement from many of the End Users, some can be unrealistic, and too demanding for issues that may not be as valid as suggested. I'm not sure that any of these cons are unique to the NYISO. The mid-year, and end of year review leaves a lot to be desired, but this also depends on your supervisor.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work, Things are getting better all the time!

Nov 7, 2016 – VP of Human Resources

Thank you for your feedback and for highlighting several great benefits at NYISO. We will do our best to keep up the good work! - Josette

6. "HR Clerk"

Former Employee - Human Resources Clerk in Castleton-on-Hudson, NY
    Former Employee - Human Resources Clerk in Castleton-on-Hudson, NY

Pros

No lack of work in HR Dept. Secured premises, educated and friendly employees, intern-oriented.

Cons

College degree required for majority of positions.

Jan 9, 2017 – VP of Human Resources

Thank you for providing feedback! - Josette

"Fair assessment"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Albany, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Albany, NY

I worked at New York ISO full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Salary. Benefits. Bonus. New CEO Brad is a great leader and other new upper level executives like Josette are trying to change the culture.

Cons

Others have indicated and I have to agree that there are a disproportionate number of managers that are bullies. And if you are perceived to cross them, your career will be a living hell. Since HR is aware of these managers, I can only assume that this type of bullying is company condoned.

I also would add that teamwork is conditional. If all is going well then everyone is smiling. If things are a little rocky then many on the project teams will begin finger pointing.

I think overall, as long as you are not embedded with one of the aforementioned managers or a part of the project team that is supporting their efforts, it is a good company to work for. Otherwise save yourself the sleepless nights and the ulcers associated with a hostile workplace and look elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Reel in the bullies and the aggressive managers.

Everyone deserves to be treated with dignity and respect at their job. Enforce that value and don't look the other way.

Oct 5, 2016 – VP of Human Resources

Thank you for your feedback. As we continuously strive to improve, we have launched more manager training and will continue to identify areas that need additional focus. - Josette

"OPERATIONS"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rensselaer, NY

Pros

Excellent company to work for

Cons

There are to many middle managers

Advice to Management

New CEO trying to make some change, the BOD needs to let him proceed

May 23, 2016 – VP of Human Resources

Thank you for your review. - Josette

"Learn what you can but be careful here"

Current Employee - Analyst in Rensselaer, NY
    Current Employee - Analyst in Rensselaer, NY

I have been working at New York ISO full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

-Pay is good for Albany area
    -Benefits
    -401k match
    -Free parking and electric vehicle charging stations
    -Nice facility and no more pot holes on the entry road
    -Smart and knowledgeable staff but not all will do knowledge transfer
    -New CEO is personable and actually talks to grunts and walks around the building on occasion
    -HR no longer used as an instrument of destruction against employees. Unknown if that will continue.
    -If you play dumb and brown nose, you can advance quickly
    -gym on site
    -cafe on site. Food is okay
    - guards are friendly
    -staff who leave the company usually remain in industry and make bank

Cons

-Mismanaged company. Staff treated with contempt and insulted on a daily basis. Staff who have been at it since day one are treated slightly better. Staff less than 10 years of service are kept at arms length and innovative solutions to existing processes never see daylight. They preach about competition but don't reward hard working employees. Some employees don't seem to have any work to do while others are slogging in 14 hours. Work not shared equally

-Silos everywhere. A culture and environment that discourages collaboration. If you go around your superior to bring an important issue to your VPs attention, or alert another department to an issue, or if you try to solve a problem on your own, it will be used against you in your review

-Top heavy. VP bonuses more important than the fate of mankind. Senior management absurd salaries will make you depressed when you don't get a raise

-Fathers, don't let your daughters work here because harassment happens and employees have no faith in the process to report that stuff

Advice to Management

This used to be a good company but I think having this company on my resume has actually hurt rather than helped my career. With a $15 minimum wage, I'd rather flip hamburgers then work hard for the ISO to not get rewarded and have my intelligence insulted everyday

May 27, 2016 – VP of Human Resources

Thank you for your review. It sounds that despite the many good things you noted, your situation is not ideal. It is our goal to have engaged employees that feel that they can grow and be ... More

10. "Market Trainer"

Former Employee - Market Trainer in Guilderland, NY
    Former Employee - Market Trainer in Guilderland, NY

I worked at New York ISO (Less than a year)

Pros

good team, knowledgable, employee training well rounded

Cons

very corporate, not flexible, low loral

"Good for experience not good for career growth"

Former Employee - Analyst in Albany, NY
    Former Employee - Analyst in Albany, NY

I worked at New York ISO full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A lot can be learned here, since a lot of existing staff just maintains status quo. Good base pay for Albany area, good benefits.

Cons

HR not helpful in any case. Only promotes white men who are local to Albany and upstate New York area. Extra marital work affair culture, HR turns a blind eye to everything. Executives are almost non existent.

Advice to Management

Start managing people and engaging with stake holders.