New York ISO Reviews | Glassdoor

3.7
New York ISO President and CEO Brad Jones
Brad Jones

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Excellent and comprehensive benefits package" (in 4 reviews)

• "Great benefits, decent cafeteria,good entertainment, nice looking building" (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • "Company goals set by the board of directors at the beginning of the year drive all business decisions during the year" (in 2 reviews)

• "There are not many down sides to the NYISO" (in 10 reviews)

"I truly enjoy working for the NYISO It’s an awesome organization."

Current Employee - Senior Stakeholder Services Representative in Rensselaer, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Stakeholder Services Representative in Rensselaer, NY

I have been working at New York ISO full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I have been working for the NYISO for 18 years.
    The NYISO environment has provided me the opportunity for growth, leadership and family.
    The teamwork that I experience day in and day out across the NYISO is absolutely incredible.
    You never feel like you are alone. I can go to work with a smile on my face knowing that I am going to be fulfilled by the challenges that the NYISO brings each day.

Cons

There are not many down sides to the NYISO. We are compensated well. People for the most part are very respectful to each other. Our CEO Brad Jones cares about who we are and how we think. That is a good combination for success here at the NYISO.

Advice to Management

Continue working with the employees and let our voices be heard. Little changes can go a long ways.

2. "Overall Good"

I have been working at New York ISO full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay, Smaller community of people, smart people, interesting work if doing energy projects, nice building

Cons

Micromanaged, old school thinking on many topics, results driven at any cost, easy to burn out

Advice to Management

Talk to each other, work together, get on the same page, some undermanage some micromanage

3. "MY review"

I have been working at New York ISO full-time

Pros

Great team work atmosphere, compensation is above average

Cons

They are light years behing in company paid time off

4. "Company Review"

I have been working at New York ISO full-time

Pros

Great opportunities for new work

Cons

Tough for advancement in IT

"A great place to work!"

Current Employee - IT Lead Analyst in Rensselaer, NY
    Current Employee - IT Lead Analyst in Rensselaer, NY

I have been working at New York ISO full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The NYISO family is an amazing group of talented and caring people. Generous of time and spirit, my colleagues invest in each other. Supervisors truly support their teams. People go out of their way to be helpful. The work is both fascinating and meaningful. The diversity of skills and individuals creates an atmosphere that encourages continuous growth.

Cons

Every company can do better. NYISO really strives to be the best. We are very fortunate to have an amazing CEO who sets both vision and tone in the organization, and a CIO who sets the standards for IT. To be responsible for so much, with such a relatively small staff, tells a great story.

New York ISO Response

Jun 29, 2018 – Manager, Talent Acquisition & Engagement

Thanks for taking the time to provide your input. Much appreciated!

6. "Creative and Supportive Atmosphere"

Current Employee - Senior Market Design Specialist in Albany, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Market Design Specialist in Albany, NY

I have been working at New York ISO full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Promote from within, great benefits package, intelligent and positive employees

Cons

Long time to ramp up for new employees due to niche type of industry and lack of qualified professionals in the area

7. "Great company"

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at New York ISO full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Very interesting work, easy to move around to different depts, must be proactive to get up the learning curve, as the work is very complex. It takes a while to get up to speed. Pays very well with 401k match, healthy annual bonus program.

Cons

As with any large company, communiacting across departments could always be improved.

8. "Intern"

Former Employee - Intern - Hourly in Rensselaer, NY
    Former Employee - Intern - Hourly in Rensselaer, NY

I worked at New York ISO (More than a year)

Pros

Great pay, very hands-on, overall good intern program

Cons

Not always as organized, but that depends on intern department

9. "Exciting Time to be Part of the NYISO"

I have been working at New York ISO full-time

Pros

Good place to work for many reasons - starting with the overall perspective that our industry is surging ahead in leaps and bounds providing exciting challenges to employees across all departments from IT to market design to human resources. The NYISO cultivates an environment of rewarding and challenging work, made even better by the diverse and bright, intelligent people. Project teams are made up of cultures from around the world - India, Japan, China, Columbia, Poland, Russia... incredible and eye-opening diversity.
    The company promotes leadership and growth within your role with training courses, leadership sessions, lunch and learns, as well as opportunity to transfer within the organization and readily promoting to management positions from within.
    Our CEO knows everyone by name - this is true! And in between running the organization, he finds time to eat lunch in the on-sight cafe and walk around the floors talking directly with employees.
    Employees are also encouraged to participate in numerous extra-curricular activities led by fellow employees with a passion in that area: sports contests, travel outings, charitable giving.
    The tenure of the NYISO employees is also something to mention - in a recent corporate wide event, employees hitting 10 or 15 years of service this year totaled 47! Another 28 hit their 5-year mark.

Cons

Like all companies, work is often what you make of it. The NYISO offers numerous ways to take advantage and continuously grow in your career. That being said, some employees are coasting and it would be good for senior leadership to change that. This industry is not for the faint of heart - it is difficult to learn and the learning curve to feel totally productive is years rather than months. But, for those that want to be challenged - this is the place for you!

"Cynicism and Dysfunction"

I worked at New York ISO full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The NYISO offers generous salary and benefits and can be a very stable and enjoyable place to work - if you are in the right area. There are some really smart and capable people here and the work can be super interesting.

Cons

While some parts of the company function well, certain areas are just toxic. Finance is a cesspool of resentment and inefficiency. HR is largely incompetent and cannot be trusted. Operations doesn't consider itself part of the same company. Even if you find a nice place to hide out and do good things, you will feel the pain.

And it's not likely to change. The Board of Directors is completely out of touch yet seems to micromanage everything. They determine all aspects of company policy like how many days of sick time to allow, or what questions are asked in performance reviews. The CEO (a nice guy) promised improvements in a number of areas but ultimately nothing changed.

Advice to Management

Not sure what to tell you (and even if I did I'm not sure you'd pay attention). Few people in leadership positions seems to care about what anyone below them thinks.