New York Life Reviews | Glassdoor

New York Life Chairman, President and CEO Ted Mathas
Ted Mathas

1,678 Employee Reviews

Pros
Cons
  • The income is 100% commision with no base salary (in 66 reviews)

• They want you to write life insurance policies to all your friends and family as leads are not provided (in 65 reviews)

"Greatest Opportunity in Corporate America"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Glendale, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Glendale, CA

I have been working at New York Life full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Right out of college, I had an opportunity with the New York Life. Being young I felt that I was at a disadvantage but I worked hard, I was relentless, and ambitious. My first full year, I was able to make a six-figure income. It wasn't easy but is medical school easy? Is law school easy? The training and development at New York Life was unmatched. I knew nothing about the Insurance and Financial Services industry until I was given an opportunity at New York Life and the training was exceptional and has led me to the success I have today.

Cons

You have to work hard, be relentless, entrepreneurial, invest a lot of time and effort into the business and above all, expect a higher standard of living and strive towards that goal every single day.

New York Life Response

Sep 26, 2016 – Head of Engagement Communications

Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback – we appreciate it. As you say, a successful career as an agent requires dedication and commitment. For many, including you, the professional ... More

"Right fit if you have the right characteristics"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bala Cynwyd, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bala Cynwyd, PA

I worked at New York Life full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A lot of resources and training
    Nice people
    The work you do is valuable and important

Cons

Not for people who don't want to contact acquaintances, family, friends, or complete strangers.

3. "Customer Service Representative CS2"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative CS2 in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative CS2 in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at New York Life full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Coworkers are phenomenal people. All inclusive work environment. A company that embraces diversity to its true meaning. Job security.

I love my job and what I do. I was fully trained and management made sure I knew what I was doing after I got out of training. I was mentored by an employee who had passion for processing our work the right way the first time around. My mentor was a proud 35+ year employee who taught me to analyze and research my work before i processed it.

Having the advantage of learning from someone in the department I was in who had worked there for so long gave me the confidence and knowledge to learn more and retain more processing information.

Company has started to trust me with more duties and responsibilities that would normally be assigned and trusted to more of the senior representatives. I have since successfully reached expectations by asking questions when I should and getting the job done correctly.

Incentives and benefits are also amazing.

I feel valued and invested in as an employee. I feel pride working for New York Life Insurance.

Cons

Newer employees are not getting the training and investment that I had.

Production Numbers are becoming more important than training and quality.

I was in training for 12 weeks with a mentor for 8 months. The newer employees are in training for 5 weeks and are getting mentors inconsistently.

This is causing more work in the long run than anticipated.

Advice to Management

Please place more investment into your training and mentor programs.

Please make quality the number one priority vs production numbers.

The number of incorrectly handled items are increasing and causing the more knowledgeable representatives more work to correct.

5. "Agent"

I have been working at New York Life full-time

Pros

Freedom to write and schedule your own business appointments is great! I am always available to coach my kids sports teams and be there for my family.

Cons

It takes a while to get your business up and running.

6. "Great Team!!!"

Former Employee - Agent in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Agent in Austin, TX

I worked at New York Life full-time

Pros

Best training you can get about in the world!!

Cons

Well if you can not produce they let you go! They work with for a little while.

7. "Agent"

Current Employee - Executive Partner in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Executive Partner in Austin, TX

I have been working at New York Life full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The last American meritocracy! A true American company that supports individual AND collective greatness! They do what theu say they will do and always make decisions according to the mission of protecting and serving the client.

Cons

You have to have work ethic and drive and not a blame others attitude.

Advice to Management

Keep encouraging the leadership not management culture.

8. "Financial Advisor"

Former Employee - Registered Representative in Madison, WI
    Former Employee - Registered Representative in Madison, WI

I worked at New York Life full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good training, great culture. People are very willing g to help, but you have to ask. Compensation is pretty good for the products you sell

Cons

If you don't produce results, you don't make money. It's straight commission, so some months are good, some are bad.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. Perhaps offer some easier transition for new agents with a small base salary.

9. "Be ready to sell!"

Former Employee - Agent in Tacoma, WA
    Former Employee - Agent in Tacoma, WA

I worked at New York Life full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good managers and strong company that has been around forever. Lot's of opportunity for growth.

Cons

No base salary, need to know lot's of people to hit sales goals. The people who did well in my office had a good establish network of people they made clients.

"Best company out there"

Current Employee - Agent
    Current Employee - Agent

I have been working at New York Life full-time (More than a year)

Pros

New York life has professional managers who are committed to training new agents in the business without splitting commissions and having conflicts of interest. A great ethical company that has withstood the test of time. The 3 year training program is top notch in the industry. The pay for new agents is spectacular with an added training allowance that makes it hard to fail.

Cons

It can be expensive to run any business and you have to treat yourself as a business owner. You have to give yourself 3-6 months to really get started with training and licensing. It can be very difficult to reach out to family and friends early on. Don't let that stop you though.

Advice to Management

Keep being innovative with new CRM and training. Try and take a Holistic approach to someone's financial plan by offering more resources and training for the investment side of the business.

11. "Senior Partner"

I worked at New York Life full-time

Pros

A company of high integrity, you are bringing value to the general public at large

Cons

Pretty demanding in terms of time commitment necessary to get ahead.

Advice to Management

Recognize that today's younger generation is not as committed to being with one organization for the duration of their career. Your agent contract should reflect that.

Showing 1,678 of 1,892 reviews