New York Life Reviews | Glassdoor

New York Life Chairman, President and CEO Ted Mathas
Ted Mathas

1,764 Employee Reviews

Pros
Cons
  • No support on client acquisition they expect you to sell your friends and family members (in 70 reviews)

• No base salary makes it a difficult ramp period (in 69 reviews)

"Greatest Opportunity in Corporate America"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Glendale, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Glendale, CA

I have been working at New York Life full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Right out of college, I had an opportunity with the New York Life. Being young I felt that I was at a disadvantage but I worked hard, I was relentless, and ambitious. My first full year, I was able to make a six-figure income. It wasn't easy but is medical school easy? Is law school easy? The training and development at New York Life was unmatched. I knew nothing about the Insurance and Financial Services industry until I was given an opportunity at New York Life and the training was exceptional and has led me to the success I have today.

Cons

You have to work hard, be relentless, entrepreneurial, invest a lot of time and effort into the business and above all, expect a higher standard of living and strive towards that goal every single day.

New York Life Response

Sep 26, 2016 – Head of Engagement Communications

Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback – we appreciate it. As you say, a successful career as an agent requires dedication and commitment. For many, including you, the professional ... More

"I came in for a job and got a career. There is no glass ceiling here - you are paid what you are worth. Bring it!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Southfield, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Southfield, MI

I have been working at New York Life full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The easiest way to make a great living without a masters degree coming in the door. Use their systems, take in the education, and you can achieve a meaningful career, make a real difference in people's lives and make an extremely good living. Residual income and pension.

Cons

Hard work is needed and a steep learning curve. Not for the faint at heart. Everything is earned and tenacity pays off. Not every day is great and work does not end at 5.

"Decent company overall, Variable Products is HELL!"

Former Employee - Variable Products Representative in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Variable Products Representative in New York, NY

I worked at New York Life full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Opportunities for advancement, personal and professional development. Respectable benefits, including time off, bonuses, etc.

Cons

Immature managers, high-school like atmosphere in my department. Antiquated equipment, policies and procedures. Very slow to change and implement effective changes. Department managers and corporate vice presidents claim to care about team members and retaining long-term employees but negatively impact employees who vocally express desire to remain long-term and advance within the company. Representatives are essentially told to "figure it out/get it done" on your own using out-dated and convoluted departmental procedures (up to 500 pages long for one process out of the two dozen plus processes we had to be fully aware of), antiquated systems and managers who would disappear during times of high call volumes. All of this while being in compliance with the corporate, FINRA, SEC and IRS rules and regulations, being bound by ridiculous time constraints , suffering through inept agents and ill-informed clients . Also, ridiculous qualitative assessments performed by people who either never worked in the position or had done so more than ten years ago.

Advice to Management

Actually put into place the much talked about upgrades, improvements and changes. Some key departments should be restructured. More compensation and less frivolous promotions.

"Representative"

Former Employee - Representative in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Representative in Austin, TX

I worked at New York Life full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good company to work for

Cons

Just sometime normal problems with mail machine for daily work

Advice to Management

Supervisor needs to do a little more supervision

5. "Financial Services Representitive"

Current Employee - Financial Representative in Tacoma, WA
    Current Employee - Financial Representative in Tacoma, WA

I have been working at New York Life full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexibility of schedule, unlimited income

Cons

Difficult to balance work/life. Make sure that your goal is to make a lot of money. If you care more about teaching and helping others you may find it difficult to prospect and be completely on your own.

"New York Life AARP"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Tampa, FL

I worked at New York Life full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fantastic training in realistic environment, so well prepared for the job

Cons

Call center sweat shop mentality

"Selling life insurance to strangers"

Former Employee - Insurance Agent in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Insurance Agent in New York, NY

I worked at New York Life full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You get to set your own schedule. You work as much or as little as you want.

Cons

Training isn't too helpful. They cover most topics in 2 weeks then just repeat everything over and over. They will tell you to start by selling to your family and friends which most people are not comfortable doing. Beyond that, its up to you to find sources of business. Through cold calling, going door to door, talking to strangers on the street at a table/kiosk. Not much guidance.

100% sales based commission. When you start they tell you about "training allowance" of up to ~$2300/mo. Its a little misleading in that it sounds like a stipend but is still tied to sales. What training allowance actually is, is they match your sales by 80% up to $2300/mo. So in order to received your $2300 you need to make $2900 in sales, and you'll have $5200. No sale = zero pay.

"Agents Can Be Demanding, and Lack of Computer Literacy Doesn't Help!"

Former Employee - Techniccal Support Representative in Greentree, PA
    Former Employee - Techniccal Support Representative in Greentree, PA

I worked at New York Life full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There are nice and understanding agents.

Cons

New York Life will hire ANYONE -- and I mean ANYONE -- to be an agent. I've had agents call, and based on how slow they were and how much help they needed, I was utterly baffled how they became an agent in the first place. It's a good thing they know how to sell life insurance! A few can also be demanding. Then you also have agents are don't speak English as a first language or agents who have a heavy accent, and talking to them on the phone can be a struggle. Working on Asian computers? Come on! Working at a call center as a tech rep can be hard enough -- the agents don't have to make it harder.

Advice to Management

Teach your agents basic computer literacy -- have them take a class. And for the love of your tech reps, teach them how to use GTA! I've had agents take 30 minutes to GTA before -- wow! Teach them to be a bit more empathetic and polite to the tech reps. I've had agents call who think they're the center of the universe! And pay your tech reps more! They fill out tickets and help your agents do their job and sell insurance, helping the company make a lot more money!

9. "Work in the call center answering customer calls concerning their annuities"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at New York Life full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great culture and comradery. Pretty easy to succeed in metrics. Provide good pay for this kind of work. NYL really tries to get their employees engaged in other aspects of the world beyond their jobs.

Cons

Your time is heavily monitored with strict adherence. When not taking calls, you process financial "widgets" which can get very repative.

"Current Employee"

Current Employee - Agent in Carmel, IN
    Current Employee - Agent in Carmel, IN

I have been working at New York Life full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

nice people and help staff

Cons

lack of support and mentoring

Advice to Management

increase lead generation

Showing 1,764 of 2,003 reviews