New York Life Reviews | Glassdoor

Ted Mathas

1,928 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Another thing - Expect that your manager (managing partner) to push you to sell to your friends and family (in 78 reviews)

• No base salary, need to know lot's of people to hit sales goals (in 77 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Agent"

Former Employee - New York Life Agent in Warrenton, VA
    Former Employee - New York Life Agent in Warrenton, VA

I worked at New York Life full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The opportunity is limitless regarding moving up the ladder. If you want to go from agent to managing partner, there's a clear cut path to follow. There's no cap on what you make as an agent, which is my favorite part. What you work for - you earn! The Development Managers, Trainers, and Partners at New York Life go above and beyond to help the agents succeed. You just have to put in the effort! It's a commission-only business, so if you don't work, you don't get paid!

Cons

You're on your own to grow your business. You find your own market(s), generate your own leads, and work with what you have (or don't have) to make it as an agent. It's tough coming from only having worked the standard 9-5 job, and any real residual is recognized after a full year. No sales, no money. There's no salary and training allowance is paid upon sale of products years 1-3 after hire.

Advice to Management

Not much, but I recommend hiring a secretary, Managing Partners. Managing teams of agents is tough, get someone to work the back end for you!

2. "Great experience"

Pros

There are lots of mentors and experienced professionals willing to help you succeed and guide you. Regardless of success or failure thee life experience you get here will broaden your perspective in the Work place as well as the world.

Cons

Not having a warm market can be a real challenge in this business. You will have to cold call and find clients.

"Pros & Cons"

I have been working at New York Life full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good work balance, pension option and student loan repayment program are great.

Cons

A lot of favoritism when it comes time for upward mobility & salaries are not as competitive

"Sales Agent Review"

Current Employee - Sales Agent in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Sales Agent in Detroit, MI

I have been working at New York Life full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This is a position where you get what you put in - period! This is not a job, but a business. If you see this as a job, then you will not be upset when you have to come out of pocket to pay for things to help you grow your business. I have been with the company now for a year. If you listen to the management team and follow the training program, you can be successful. There is a networking system that you will learn - follow it. The company offers university type training, benefits like group health, dental, vision, and 401K, and management support. In the first year, you get a lot of bonuses to help you build your business. But you must first write a certain amount of business each month to get the extra bonus money. If you do, it helps you survive when money gets low and bills need to be paid. You can get several awards that you must get in your first year. I find that the people who do not hit the ground running, tend to fail. Stay consistent, win awards, and study to find success. This is a great company to build a career but it will not be an easy journey. Find great mentors and stay positive. Do not do this business just to make money because you will fail. I love the industry and I know no matter where I go, putting in the hard work the first 3 to 5 years is crucial. So, because NYL has great products, name recognition, and is a mutual company, I have an advantage.

Cons

New York life can do a better job at being transparent in the interview stage of the process. They show you the perks, but do not share that it can be tough if you don't have a savings or significant other to help you financially when you hit rough patches. They don't share all the fees they charge you to work for them life desk, portal, ect.They don't tell you that you lose some important bonuses your second year. They don't tell you your contractual requirements during the interview, only after. They don't talk about reversals and how that can hurt your business. They don't tell quick they will let you go at the end of the year if you did not meet your contractual requirements. Also, depending on the office you work out of, there can be too many meetings that take you away from sales, which is never good.

Advice to Management

Be transparent during interview. Tell the good, the bad, and the ugly of the position. Share the cost you charge us to use your office space, and don't tell people how much they can make in their first year if you know the data doesn't show that too me true. STOP LYING TO PEOPLE!

5. "Data Solutions Developer Intern"

Pros

I had the opportunity to learn a lot of skills on the job, and the people are super friendly.

Cons

Not a con for the company, but just my experience -- would have been better to work with a team of full-time data scientists, instead of a group of interns.

6. "Senior Associate"

I worked at New York Life full-time

Pros

Financial strong company, Multiple job opportunities, Service community orientated company- Gives back to many different kinds of charities

Cons

Work life balance is some divisions does not exist

"Nice facilities"

Current Employee - Agent in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Agent in Denver, CO

I have been working at New York Life full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Class A office space, lots of resources

Cons

lots of charges for wifi, tech support, meetings, breakfast, etc...

"Excellent benefits. Limited opportunity for career advancement."

I worked at New York Life full-time

Pros

Laid back and friendly work atmosphere.

Cons

Limited opportunity for career advancement.

"Agent"

Current Employee - Insurance Agent in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Insurance Agent in Louisville, KY

I have been working at New York Life full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The Kentucky general office is the nicest place I’ve worked! The people are extremely nice and supportive.

Cons

Commission only job is the ONLY flaw I can tell about

Advice to Management

A small salary for at least 6-8 months at least would greatly help new agents until they get on their feet.

"Technology Org that is stuck inthe mud"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jersey City, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jersey City, NJ

I have been working at New York Life full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Wealth of opportunity to change

Cons

To myopic and stuck in the mud to get out of their own way

Advice to Management

Listen to your technology managers that have real ways to technically turn NYL around and remember the indecisions made on the mainframe elimination are being carried over to other technologies. Change now and pay what it take to save much more and be able to respond to new directions in the future. You cant hire new talent offering DB2 and Oracle as your DB platforms. many of the new developers have never even used these technologies. Oracle is legacy

Showing 1,928 of 2,208 reviews