New York Life Reviews in Tampa, FL | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
New York Life Chairman, President and CEO Ted Mathas
Ted Mathas

Cons

1. "The good with the bad"

Former Employee - Sales and Service in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Sales and Service in Tampa, FL

I worked at New York Life full-time (More than a year)

Pros

NYL has never had any layoffs, All benefits including tuition is active on first day of pemenant employement. offers summer days (meaning that every friday you work in the summmer months, you will receive a half day added to you vacation bank to use at your discretion.

Cons

i was on the test team and basically the test team does EVERYTHING. They take cust serv calls, sales calls (without commission), and every call that is overflowed, gets connected to you.

Advice to Management

If a rep is soaring through their metrics, dont be so strict on QA, esp if the rep's Metrics are the highest in the dept.

"Never again"

Former Employee - Director in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Director in Tampa, FL

I worked at New York Life full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good vacation and paid time off policy.

Cons

1950s Style Management. Bell curve performance reviews.

"Contract PC Tech"

Current Employee - PC Technician in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - PC Technician in Tampa, FL

I have been working at New York Life (Less than a year)

Pros

Very personable and human company

Cons

Very unorganized and not time efficient

Advice to Management

Get better organized when having consultants come for a project

5. "Representative"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative CS2 in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative CS2 in Tampa, FL

I have been working at New York Life full-time

Pros

Great opportunity for growth, excellent culture, positive working environment. This is a company where you really get out of it what you put in to it. They treat their customers well and their employees well. Great benefits, too!

Cons

There is sometimes mandatory OT

Advice to Management

I have no advice to Mgmt.

6. "Good company"

Former Employee - Business Retention Specialist in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Business Retention Specialist in Tampa, FL

I worked at New York Life full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Diversity, good people, volunteer options, charity match

Cons

Mandatory overtime, metrics are hard to meet

"Sales and service"

Current Employee - Member Sales and Service Representative in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Member Sales and Service Representative in Tampa, FL

I have been working at New York Life full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great coworkers who really care about the customer. Lots of overtime. Good cafeteria and gym on the premises. Good training program.

Cons

They are slowly but surely cutting incentives like shift differential. They even had a robust awards system, but that is only now reserved for a select few.

This place has gone downhill since I first came a few years back. Management increases the workload, but cuts incentives and pay without a care. They've even been sued for not paying workers what they are due.

There is no "true" shift bid. If you get late hours initially, it's very hard to get an earlier shift in the future. Workforce Management is a nightmare to deal with.

The turnover rate is extremely high. Out of my initial training class of about 20 , only 4 of us are left, and I'm also looking elsewhere.

Please think very carefully about accepting a position in this department.

Advice to Management

Please reconsider your choice of CVPs. They will end up costing you more money in the long run. Just look at your turnover rate and recent lawsuit.

8. "Associate - Graphics Specialist"

Former Employee - Associate, Graphics Specialist in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Associate, Graphics Specialist in Tampa, FL

I worked at New York Life (Less than a year)

Pros

Diverse work load. You work along-side accomplished industry professionals. Company offers good learning experiences. Show incentive and you will be given more responsibilities.

Cons

Currently outsourcing many departments making smooth problem solving, especially IT, more difficult. Lack of communication by managers with staff. Benefits have and will continue to change.

"NYLife"

Former Contractor - Insurance Agent in Tampa, FL
    Former Contractor - Insurance Agent in Tampa, FL

I worked at New York Life as a contractor (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great company, good people, solid reputation, LONG history, and a company you could be quite proud to represent.

Cons

100% commission, as is typical in that business.

Advice to Management

Try to find a ways to better financially support a beginning agent. It takes time to learn to sell, and a zero income is hard to live on. Even more, a married person will have their spouse force them to quit soon it the cash flow is insufficient to support the cost of living.

"Sales & Customer Service Representative"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Tampa, FL

Pros

Company social parties. Decent people/training, on site gym, cafeteria(great food but can get expensive after a while so bring your own food when possible. Gym and cafeteria are separated but are co-located in same building.:) Employees issued entrance magnetic access picture ID cards soon after onboarding. Hourly pay is decent, $17.21/hour, compared to other insurance call centers I have worked for in the past. You are offered life/health coverage from day one to include 401K option/s, military veteran supervisor/s and on site military experienced security personnel, employee incentives/rewards. After classroom training, you will be what they refer to as "nesting." Subject matter experts(SMEs) will be close by listening to calls randomly/walking around to provide you with assistance/help should you have any issues/questions about an ongoing call or after call questions/concerns. No restrictions on having drinks/snacks at your cubicle like some places...HUMANA! :) Building/bathroom facilities are maintained 100%. Lots of upgrades that were done since they first opened their Tampa office doors back in the 90s. Really hard to get fired unless you really mess up like hang up on a client/customer or unauthorized/approved absences from training or work. Supervision/trainers are patient with new folks and will assist you but you must take the initiative and ask. These folks are good but there are no mind readers there that I am aware of so if in doubt, whip it out...your hand that is and ask.

Cons

Outdated Technology: MS Office 2007, some outdated hardware. Network system issues from time to time. Attendance policy/no shows: Little to no wiggle room on missing or being late to work during training/shift starts. During your initial training it is strongly discouraged to miss any days.There is lot of information being churned out to educate you so it will be detrimental to miss even one day of training especially if you are a slow learner like me. :)

The training reps are people off the floor/supervisors so they are very knowledgeable however some of them have a habit of going off topic on long, drawn out tangents. My best advice to anyone contemplating working here is to keep any comments during training to the subject matter at hand or risk having the instructor take the class off on a long, drawn out tangent/anecdote. Keep questions/concerns professional/on topic, you should be ok.

You sometimes have to work out of the classroom where room is tight/space is very limited so ensure you are mentally prepared to work in tight quarters. Computers are a bit outdated but they at least have two monitors so you don't have to be switching from one screen to the next to look at/bring up documents

Advice to Management

Folks, just a thought here based off of personal experience. Please consider changing end of day huddle process. Provide any corrective feedback in private whenever possible. The reason for my suggestion is to help prevent any psychological barriers/defensiveness that may emerge due to having an uncomfortable situation/challenge aired out in front of their peers. Some people are have thicker skin than others. Granted, corrective feedback on call mishaps/errors is reserved only for supervisor/s during the huddle peers are still present in the room. Any unintentional/derogatory comment. even in jest, can easily cause someone to be unreceptive to any well intended assistance/corrective measure.

No disrespect intended as I am sure you folks know more about your business than I do. However I humbly ask that you please consider reviewing your current selection process for supervisors placed in charge over other people. There are some good supervisors there however, in my opinion, there are some that are defiantely lacking people/employee management skills. They tend to be condescending and quick to question someone's integrity before verifying any facts laid before them. in short they have the tact of a rhino. People placed in these important roles managing/leading teams/people need to be competent, firm but fair. Show no favoritism. Apparent or otherwise. They need to deal with employees with respect/courtesy unless they have proven themselves otherwise by their behavior. Employees were interviewed after all. Someone saw something good in them to hire them. People will do more for you if they know you lead by example, are sincere with them and treat them as human beings and not lower class citizens. Just my perspective on my experience there.

"AARP Call Center Rep and IBSD Sales Department"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Tampa, FL

I worked at New York Life full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This review is only for working in the Tampa Call center Building three. Not the rest of campus or NYL agents or other offices.

I wanted to be fair with my post, so I waited a couple of months after I resigned to put up this review. NYL / AARP Call Center has some exceptional qualities:

Stable Company
    Excellent oversight
    Strong Benefit Package
    Stable Environment
    Structured Learning (Incredible Training Staff!)
    Great Location
    Visible support for minorities, vets and the LGBT community (Huge Kudos)
    They have a knack for hiring good skilled with great big hearts!!

This is a TRUE call center and if you’re not ready to be weighed and measured, do not work here. You will be tied to a phone and expected to meet performance goals , time structure and quality scores.

Cons

HR is Non Existent and inept, from lack of company regulations to hearing complaints… Period!

Floor managers are castrated figure heads. Some are talented and some are not like any company, but they are never really given the ability to truly steer the company or even their own departments. Shuffled from one department to another, never getting the chance to develop time and relationships with their team.

Senior management has tunnel vision, driven by the bottom line and productivity numbers. They plays a great game, meetings and glad hands, but in the end they can be shallow with a grand egos They end up treating their direct reports like marionettes.

None, Zero, Nada in the way of structured and visible path for raises and advancement. NYL will talk a GREAT game; reviews, career guidance. It’s all about the networking and crawling in to the right orifice.

Advice to Management

Right the ship... from the more senior personnel stories this was a great call center and place to work. You are on top for now but if you do not recognize and address your faults, I can only see rough waters for this call center.

Showing 36 of 1,927 reviews